1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 23:04
    There are three parts to God...The Father, the son (Jesus) and the "Holy Ghost" whats that all about ?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '18 23:27
    Originally posted by @ogb
    There are three parts to God...The Father, the son (Jesus) and the "Holy Ghost" whats that all about ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

@sonship
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 02:31
    Without going to another source...

I tend to view it as the omnipresent and all pervading will of God, and a sort of metaphysical "logos" that animates the spiritual structure of existence.

I think St. Augustine properly summed up the Trinity, though, by saying that we cannot fully comprehend God. It's like trying to put the sea into a single bucket. You can't do it. So, the Holy Spirit is incomprehensible to us and we cannot be certain of what it entials fully.

Great question.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 02:43
    Good question and one that has been discussed here at length before.
    First the bible says at Deut 6:4 that God is one God, not three gods. Yes Jesus is called a god in the bible, but so is Satan. The bible says there are many Gods, so for Jesus to be called a god is appropriate. But Jesus is never called the "Almighty God". Only Jehovah is referred to as the "Almighty God".
    The Bible never refers to the holy spirit as a god in itself, but it has been called many other things that this link explains. Simply put it is the power or force that Jehovah uses to do his will not matter what it is. It would be like a human using the force or power that we use from our bodily muscles to use to pic up a book or wave to someone. God does not have a physical body but is a spirit being.

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/what-is-the-holy-spirit/#?insight[search_id]=659f92d8-6fba-4c78-b2d4-7f81cb19feaa&insight[search_result_index]=0
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 02:471 edit
    According to the gospel that Jesus preached, it is the "spirit of truth".

As people are wont to do, over time they deified Jesus and mysticized the spirit of truth thus painting themselves into a theological corner which resulted in a nonsensical explanation that was dubbed the "trinity". Perhaps the biggest mystery is how many have bought into it.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 07:142 edits
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    I think St. Augustine properly summed up the Trinity, though, by saying that we cannot fully comprehend God. It's like trying to put the sea into a single bucket. You can't do it. So, the Holy Spirit is incomprehensible to us and we cannot be certain of what it entials fully.
    I’ve heard many explaination, similes, metaphors and idioms describing the godhead, but I think that saying “we cannot fully comprehend God” and that trying to do so is like “putting the sea into a single bucket”, has to be the least effective, least evocative and least scriptural attempt to describe either God, the trinity or the holy spirit that I’ve ever come across.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 12:181 edit
    The Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Trinity.
    For lack of a better human language word, I am forced to use the word "Person".

The Holy Spirit as God Himself is God reaching man's inner being for the imparting of God into man.

The Third "Person" of the Triune God finally reaches man to be life to man and within man by the Holy Spirit.

In older times they used the word "Ghost."
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 12:24
    I was prayreading this morning First Corinthians. And I was confirmed that the Holy Spirit is more than just an impersonal force. Galveston will try hard to teach that.

But as in so very many verses, "Person" is more applicable for the nature of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit "searches", as a "Person" the depths of God.

"But to us God has revealed them through the Spirit, for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God." (1 Cor. 2:10)

An impersonal force or energy does not search.
    The Person of the Spirit searches the depths of the Person of God.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 12:29
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I was prayreading this morning [b]First Corinthians. And I was confirmed that the Holy Spirit is more than just an impersonal force. Galveston will try hard to teach that.

But as in so very many verses, "Person" is more applicable for the nature of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit "searches", as a "Person" the depths of God.

[quote] [b ...[text shortened]... e or energy does not search.
    The Person of the Spirit searches the depths of the Person of God.[/b]
    You were prayreading and you were confirmed?

What does that mean? Was God talking to you?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 13:00
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    You were prayreading and you were confirmed?

What does that mean? Was God talking to you?
    You mean God doesn't speak to you?
    It is normal to have the speaking of God for a Christian.

It is abnormal if you never have the speaking of God and you claim to be a Christian.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 13:051 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I’ve heard many explaination, similes, metaphors and idioms describing the godhead, but I think that saying “we cannot fully comprehend God” and that trying to do so is like “putting the sea into a single bucket”, has to be the least effective, least evocative and least scriptural attempt to describe either God, the trinity or the holy spirit that I’ve ever come across.
    To say that we cannot fully comprehend God is not the same as saying that we can never experience and enjoy God.

We also cannot fully comprehend even our own selves. But we know that we are real.

We can enjoy the "Wonderful" One as mysterious and not completely comprend-able. Yet He is "unto us" for our experience and enjoyment. See Isaiah 9:6.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 13:06
    It is normal to have the speaking of God for a Christian.
    Do you say things and behave in certain ways here because you feel your god figure has been speaking to you and telling you what to do?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 13:151 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Do you say things and behave in certain ways here because you feel your god figure has been speaking to you and telling you what to do?
    My experience is that when God speaks to me it is ALWAYS based upon what He has said in the Bible.

If I come to you saying God spoke this or that to sonship and it flatly contradicts the word of God in the Bible, don't believe me.

God certainly speaks to the believer in Jesus Christ.
    It is nothing to boast about if you have believed in Jesus and say " Why God never talks to ME !"

That means something abnormal is going on in your spiritual life. One needs to give attention to it.

One may pray thusly for an example:

" Lord Jesus, I have no word from You. I don't know what God wants to say to me. Lord Jesus, give me one word. I ask for just one word from You this week. Show me O Lord. Show me if there is something wrong with my heart that I cannot hear You. Thankyou Lord Jesus. I love You."

This little prayer is not a legality. It is a sample of a good place to start. You can always be HONEST with God.
    God receives an HONEST opening of the heart and complaint.

Accompany such with thanksgiving and praise. You will get your answer in most cases.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 13:21
    My experience is that when God speaks to me it is ALWAYS based upon what He has said in the Bible.

If I come to you saying God spoke this or that to sonship and it flatly contradicts the word of God in the Bible, don't believe me.

God certainly speaks to the believer in Jesus Christ.
    So he speaks to Eladar and to divegeester and Rajk999 too right, not just you?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 13:27
    Originally posted by @fmf
    So he speaks to Eladar and to divegeester and Rajk999 too right, not just you?
    As usual you try to push the matter to some skeptical advantage.

God speaks to the believer if all is normal.
    When there is a cessation of His speaking, the believer should seek out why. For God wants you to hear what the Spirit SAYS.

No FMF, I am not attaching to this post the definitive list of people here who have or have not had God's speaking.

That is not my point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree