1. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '06 17:31
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Yes, it would be awful that to admit that it was his nihilism that drove him insane.
    No, I could easily admit that if I thought it to be the case. I simply don't.

Can you prove that emmersing yourself in nihilistic thought processes will drive you insane? Please?
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    10 Apr '06 17:35
    Originally posted by stocken
    No, I could easily admit that if I thought it to be the case. I simply don't.

Can you prove that emmersing yourself in nihilistic thought processes will drive you insane? Please?
    Nietzsche was one of the few authors Hitler read. Look what it made of him.
  3. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '06 17:58
    Nietzsche was one of the few authors Hitler read. Look what it made of him.
    Hal. Hal. Hal. This is unlike you. I would think you to be one who check things up before going out there to post your wimsy ideas.

Hitler and the nazimovement took inspiration from the modified work of Nietzsche's sister Elisabeth after he had fallen mentally ill. Friedrich himself were not even particularly nationalistic. He was potently against any form of nationalism and considered it vile. From The Gay Science:

"We are not nearly ``German`` enough [to be nationalists], in the sense in which the word ``German`` is constantly being used nowadays, to advocate nationalism and race hatred and to be able to take pleasure in the national scabies of the heart and blood poisoning that now leads the nations of Europe to delimit and barricade themselves against each other as if it were a matter of quarantine. For that we are too openminded, too malicious, too spoiled, also too well informed, too ``traveled.``"
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    10 Apr '06 19:13
    Originally posted by stocken
    Hal. Hal. Hal. This is unlike you. I would think you to be one who check things up before going out there to post your wimsy ideas.

Hitler and the nazimovement took inspiration from the modified work of Nietzsche's sister Elisabeth after he had fallen mentally ill. Friedrich himself were not even particularly nationalistic. He was potently agains ...[text shortened]... we are too openminded, too malicious, too spoiled, also too well informed, too ``traveled.``"
    Why don't you give this a twirl before you accuse me of being whimsy:

http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty/marcuse/classes/133p/133p04papers/MKalishNietzNazi046.htm

While Nietzsche's sister did allow for loose interpretation of his work, the above link pains some striking parallels between Nietzsche and Mein Kampf.
  5. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '06 19:371 edit
    Why don't you give this a twirl before you accuse me of being whimsy:

http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty/marcuse/classes/133p/133p04papers/MKalishNietzNazi046.htm

While Nietzsche's sister did allow for loose interpretation of his work, the above link pains some striking parallels between Nietzsche and Mein Kampf.
    "[...]by censoring and editing Nietzsche's work to further her own anti-Semitic interest and to reconcile Nietzsche's work with Richard Wagner's. Second, in order to finance the Nietzsche archive Elisabeth exploited Nietzsche's prophetic and radical philosophy to appeal to her preferred political party."

From that very document. And here's a quote of Nietzsche from your supplied URL:

"It is a matter of honor to me to be absolutely clean and unequivocal regarding anti-Semitism, namely opposed, as I am in my writings… I have been persecuted [pursued; verfolgt?] in recent times with letters and Anti-Semitic Correspondence sheets; my disgust with this party … is as outspoken as possible, but the relation to Förster, as well as the after-effect of my former anti-Semitic publisher Schmeitzner, always bring the adherents of this disagreeable party back to the idea that I must after all belong to them…"

Clearly, Nietzsche was not a nationalistic supporter of anti-semitism. And I fail to see how Nietzsche's complete work (without taking a snippet here and there and twist it like Elisabeth did) can be used to support nazism. I haven't yet read his entire work, but I somehow doubt that those whom have and agree that Nietsczhe's work does not support nazism are all wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree