1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 09:55
    Originally posted by agryson
    No, creationism cannot be debated seriously in the eyes of science as it depends on untestable hypotheses (like a creator, for instance). By depending on hypotheses which are utterly and by definition untestable, creationism has cut itself out of the scientific endeavour and so BELONGS IN THE SPIRITUALITY FORUM!
    Yes. And the thread started as "what is natural selection". Strangely enough, I can't find the word "creationism" in it. It hadn't even turned into science v religion yet.

And if it had - why is a science/religion thread relevant to religion and not science?

This thread shouldn't have been moved.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 15:20
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Plus, gravity isn't that powerful of a force.
    Depends how far from the source you are. At long range it's pretty impressive.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 15:25
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Yes. And the thread started as "what is natural selection". Strangely enough, I can't find the word "creationism" in it. It hadn't even turned into science v religion yet.

And if it had - why is a science/religion thread relevant to religion and not science?

This thread shouldn't have been moved.
    You just quoted a post with the word "creationism" in it and then wrote you can't find the word...
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 16:37
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You just quoted a post with the word "creationism" in it and then wrote you can't find the word...
    That was later on. The first mention of creationism was a complaint that that was what the thread was about.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 16:56
    Originally posted by agryson
    This is a science forum, creationism, not being based on science (it breaches a few very simple philosophical maxims regarding the philosophy of science) has no place here. It is a spiritualitstic position, and thus belongs in the spirituality forum.
    Should scientists find evidence of flaws in evolution, they can be found here, teh scientific community is V ...[text shortened]... tionists can rest easy and leave tehir paranoid delusions at home.

MOVE THIS TO SPIRITUALITY!
    I fail to see where my initial post mentioned anything related to creationism. Since evolution is touted as a scientific theory, it ought to stand and answer questions related to its scientific underpinnings. One of the foundations upon which evolution rests is this thing called natural selection. I use the term 'thing' because it lacks a more precise technological label, as seen in such terms as 'force' or 'element,' for example.

Who ever thought to move the debate to Spiritual has clearly knee-jerked their thinking. According to you, the fenced-in scientific community that has seemingly perfected its self-policing skills to a degree beyond questioning feels the same way. Such thinking sounds decidedly un-scientific, given the large gaps so clearly evident within the pet topic.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 17:05
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I fail to see where my initial post mentioned anything related to creationism. Since evolution is touted as a scientific theory, it ought to stand and answer questions related to its scientific underpinnings. One of the foundations upon which evolution rests is this thing called natural selection. I use the term 'thing' because it lacks a more precise t ...[text shortened]... nds decidedly un-scientific, given the large gaps so clearly evident within the pet topic.
    "Large gaps"? What does that mean?
  7. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 00:08
    I fail to see where my initial post mentioned anything related to creationism. Since evolution is touted as a scientific theory, it ought to stand and answer questions related to its scientific underpinnings. One of the foundations upon which evolution rests is this thing called natural selection. I use the term 'thing' because it lacks a more precise t ...[text shortened]... nds decidedly un-scientific, given the large gaps so clearly evident within the pet topic.
    They loaded phrasing of the initial post was sufficient to imply the objective of the post wasn't to answer his question but to incite the scientists into defending evolution from an imaginary attack. Thus putting them on the defensive and justifying his attack in the first place and generating the debate which should be kept out of the science forum......

And what are these so called gaps in evolution.... Ill accurately defend every single one you pull out of your ass....
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 02:42
    A serious question:

Which is occuring at a quicker pace (if either) -

1.) The rate at which new species are evolving into existence.

2.) The rate at which old species are becomming extinct.
  9. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:21
    Originally posted by jaywill
    A serious question:

I lack knowledge of any specific research but one has to assume that the latter is correct....

It takes an awful long time for a new species to branch off...
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:28
    Originally posted by jaywill
    A serious question:

Nowadays, with humans on the scene, probably the latter, but I am not sure.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:292 edits
    Originally posted by Mexico
    I lack knowledge of any specific research but one has to assume that the latter is correct....

It takes an awful long time for a new species to branch off...
    Not necessarily. Speciation has been observed in the lab in fruit flies in a matter of months or a year or two (35 generations, each of which takes a week or two).
  12. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:37
    "An emergent behaviour." That's a loaded concept. Mind defining that one?
    It means it is a force that does not exist without organisms, whereas gravity is constant wherever there is matter... Since organisms are composed of matter, gravity is a universal and all-inclusive concept... you do not find natural selection in black holes, or in minerals, or in matter at a fundamental level. Natural selection is found in only certain places, and is not a law as much as it is a process created out of many laws, or constants.
  13. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:40
    Originally posted by Mexico
    BUT there are fossilized trees with no growth rings..... proving that the atmosphere was once perfect.... Thus that the garden of eden existed.... QED the bible is true......

Also There are fossils of sea creatures on top of mountains proving the flood, and thus proving the bible is true once again......
    I hope you're joking...
  14. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:42
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Not necessarily. Speciation has been observed in the lab in fruit flies in a matter of months or a year or two (35 generations, each of which takes a week or two).
    True enough, was simply backing up my point. Although I think he was probably referring to animal species. Even though the same rules apply, you get where I'm coming from....
  15. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:43
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    I hope you're joking...
    No no this is the only logical conclusion to be drawn from these factors..... 🙄

I'm a geologist.......

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree