1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 15:47
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://evolution-of-religion.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sosis-2004-american-scientist.pdf
    Thanks. That article confirms what I said about evolution theory being assumed in current research, although it is not a research paper in itself and American Scientist is not a peer-reviewed journal.

The underlying assumption, and an (admirable) admission that it is an assumption, is stated at the end of p 166 and beginning of p 167. It should be read for itself, but briefly it says, "Behavioral ecologists assume that natural selection has designed..." "...this assumption [which is optimal foraging theory--JS357] has provided a powerful framework..." "...most research has shown that our species broadly conforms to these expectations."
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 15:59
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Of course,there is no compulsion by Hindu theology on any Hindu to take up this duty of realizing God. It is an exhortation and not a compulsion.
    Not many religions are there as is Hindu Religion that are so tolerant of people voicing dissent or people disinterested in the practice of duties prescribed for each Station in life or people simply disbeliev ...[text shortened]... likely to have and hence enjoy your food,your drink and sex,don't bother about anything else.
    The tricky part of inclusiveness is whether to be welcoming to exclusionary factions. On this forum, Dasa seems to be exclusionary.

But what I meant by "But the saying of it by others, I hope you agree, is not compelling in itself." is that I hope you are not making an argument to authority to support the contention that God realization is our most important duty. It is not unusual to find that kind of argument argument coming from a people who have, in their opinion, the ultimate authority available to them via a revered book or revered elders. But it should be easy to see why people who do not share their reverence will be unimpressed.
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 16:28
    Originally posted by JS357
    The tricky part of inclusiveness is whether to be welcoming to exclusionary factions. On this forum, Dasa seems to be exclusionary.

But what I meant by "But the saying of it by others, I hope you agree, is not compelling in itself." is that I hope you are not making an argument to authority to support the contention that God realization is our most importan ...[text shortened]... But it should be easy to see why people who do not share their reverence will be unimpressed.
    Hinduism believes that all religions lead to God and no religion has a monopoly on the Truth/Ultimate Reality/God. This or that scripture is not the ultimate authority and all scriptures/Saints/Mystics say one and the same thing.
    Only thing that remains to be said that we Hindus do believe that our philosophical and theological thinking has gone much farther than others.
    But I repeat this does not mean that we alone know the Truth.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 23:35
    Hinduism believes that all religions lead to God and no religion has a monopoly on the Truth/Ultimate Reality/God. This or that scripture is not the ultimate authority and all scriptures/Saints/Mystics say one and the same thing.
    Only thing that remains to be said that we Hindus do believe that our philosophical and theological thinking has gone much farther than others.
    But I repeat this does not mean that we alone know the Truth.
    Could you explain to me the strife between Hindus and Christians, and between Hindus and Muslims, that has occurred over the years? Is it untraceable to or unassociated with conflicts in religious ideology? Also, there is at least one proponent of Vedanta here who seems to regard Vedanta as having a monopoly on the route to God. Is that significantly uncommon in Hinduism? Is it a characteristic of some particular sect(s)? I really don't know.
  5. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 06:48
    Could you explain to me the strife between Hindus and Christians, and between Hindus and Muslims, that has occurred over the years? Is it untraceable to or unassociated with conflicts in religious ideology? Also, there is at least one proponent of Vedanta here who seems to regard Vedanta as having a monopoly on the route to God. Is that significantly uncommon in Hinduism? Is it a characteristic of some particular sect(s)? I really don't know.
    It is significantly uncommon in Hinduism for any one to claim that Vedant holds a monopoly in the search for Truth/God/Ultimate Reality. As regards recent incidents in the state of Orissa where a Christian Missionary from Australia was burnt alive along with his son when they were sleeping in their car,the perpatrators of this ghastly crime have been sentenced to various punishments with the chief perpatrator just escaping the Death penalty with the Supreme Court upholding his Life Imprisonment. The supreme court did record that forcible conversions of Hindu tribals to Christianity in Orissa had caused high degree of anger in the locality with the accused agitating against the slain missionary. Apart from this there has been no strife between Hindus and Christians in India. As reg. The strife bet. Hindus and Muslims it is a very long story. some other time.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 07:19
    There is significantly less strife with Hindus (per capita) than any of the other major religons,(as far as I know).
    I thought that in India , if you were not born into some special sect, or decided to join another religon, then you were automatically a Hindu. It's like the default religon. It does not refuse anyone.
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 11:30
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    There is significantly less strife with Hindus (per capita) than any of the other major religons,(as far as I know).
    I thought that in India , if you were not born into some special sect, or decided to join another religon, then you were automatically a Hindu. It's like the default religon. It does not refuse anyone.
    thanks. Let me give some info. Apart from hinduism, there are islam,chriastianity,buddhism,jainism,sikhism as principle religions in india.sikhism was considered a sect of hinduism earlier but for last 100 years,it is considered as a religion. Communal riots have been frequent bet. Muslims and non-muslims for last 100 years esp. Hindu-muslim riots.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 11:401 edit
    thanks. Let me give some info. Apart from hinduism, there are islam,chriastianity,buddhism,jainism,sikhism as principle religions in india.sikhism was considered a sect of hinduism earlier but for last 100 years,it is considered as a religion. Communal riots have been frequent bet. Muslims and non-muslims for last 100 years esp. Hindu-muslim riots.
    yes, especially in Amahdabad, i remember following the events with some keen interest. 🙁
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 16:53
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    While it seems like an oversimplification to characterize Hinduism as simply mono- or polytheistic -- it might be better to say that Hinduism carries on polytheistic traditions -- in his book ^God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism,^ Jonathan Kirsch makes the case that the followers of monotheistic religions have historically been more likely to initiate violence toward followers of religions that are unlike theirs in some respect, than have been the followers of polytheistic religions.

Regarding Hinduism being a sort of default religion, I lived in a community where Presbyterianism was a sort of default, and the people of that faith were the most laid back about alternative points of view.
  10. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 17:06
    While it seems like an oversimplification to characterize Hinduism as simply mono- or polytheistic -- it might be better to say that Hinduism carries on polytheistic traditions -- in his book ^God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism,^ Jonathan Kirsch makes the case that the followers of monotheistic religions have histori ...[text shortened]... default, and the people of that faith were the most laid back about alternative points of view.
    I invite you to India for a stay of some substantial length to find out whether the Hindus-polytheistic or monotheistic- are the most laid back people towards their OWN RELIGION or not. You will find that the majority of Hindus simply believe wholeheartedly in God and would not care to enter into any discussion with anyone whether their belief is monotheistic or polytheistic,although learned professors of Hindu theology will definitely prove to you that the Advait Siddhant or the monotheistic theory is the one that has outlasted all Hindu religious thought.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 17:14
    My paradise would be devoid of virgins and full of slags.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 17:32
    I invite you to India for a stay of some substantial length to find out whether the Hindus-polytheistic or monotheistic- are the most laid back people towards their OWN RELIGION or not. You will find that the majority of Hindus simply believe wholeheartedly in God and would not care to enter into any discussion with anyone whether their belief is monothei ...[text shortened]... t Siddhant or the monotheistic theory is the one that has outlasted all Hindu religious thought.
    I appreciate the invitation. I would tend to focus on the rank and file followers, not the scholars; because the rank and file are the ones who are sent to fight for the faith and they need to have a reason. Also, what I am thinking about is the overall sweep of history, when the religions were forming, not so much on the current day. I would expect a transition toward monotheism to occur over time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree