1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 01:40
    No......I would not be so presumptuous to ever change God or wish he was different.....That being said I don't understand why God has allowed suffering and all but I also believe that God will eventually right all wrongs

Manny
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 06:39
    Originally posted by galveston75
    If you do believe in the God of the Bible, just wanting to hear your opinions, views, ideas, wants, approvals or disapprovals of God? If he isn't what you want in a God, how would you change him or ask of him to do differently?
    No arguing here, just your thoughts.....
    Here is a quote I came across the other day (CAC.org) - it captures rather nicely the thinking behind your question.

For many Christians, it is what we get out of God that matters. What has he done for me lately? As the quote ends - this is not the Gospel!

The phrase “spirituality of subtraction” was inspired by Meister Eckhart (c. 1260-1327), the medieval Dominican mystic. He said that the spiritual life has much more to do with subtraction than it does with addition. Yet I think most Christians today are involved in great part in a spirituality of addition, and in that, they are not really very traditional or conservative at all.
    The capitalist worldview is the only one most of us have ever known. We see reality, experiences, events, other people, and things—in fact, everything—as objects for our personal consumption. Even religion, Scripture, sacraments, worship services, and meritorious deeds become ways to advance ourselves—not necessarily ways to love God or neighbor.
    The nature of the capitalist mind is that things (and often people!) are there for me. Finally, even God becomes an object for my consumption. Religion looks good on my resume, and anything deemed “spiritual” is a check on my private worthiness list. Some call it spiritual consumerism. It is not the Gospel.

The question is really: What is the God of the Bible like? And why is MY view of her so different from that of other people?

If I create a god of my own liking, I have just made an idol.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 06:50
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Here is a quote I came across the other day (CAC.org) - it captures rather nicely the thinking behind your question.

For many Christians, it is what we get out of God that matters. What has he done for me lately? As the quote ends - this is not the Gospel!

The phrase “spirituality of subtraction” was inspired by Meister Eckha ...[text shortened]... ent from that of other people?

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=10180222445

Ten shekels and shirt I think address some of your concerns here, very
    powerful sermon, but a tiny dry at first, but he sure gets his point across
    at the end. I heard this shortly after I got saved, around 1980 or there
    about. Worth the time, if you have a the time. We do tend to see people
    more concern about what they get out of God than, God.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 06:52
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Surely you would not want to make one not of your liking? It seems that
    everyone has their own interpretation of their religion and because of that
    every theist has their own personal god.
  5. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 06:35
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Surely you would not want to make one not of your liking? It seems that
    everyone has their own interpretation of their religion and because of that
    every theist has their own personal god.
    You have hit the nail squarely on the head, Wolfgang.

That is the fundamental reason for all the differences in religions - we go and pick and chose until we find a god to our liking!

And then we spend the rest of our time trying to convince everybody else that we, and we alone, are right!

😳
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 06:512 edits
    Are all of you happy with the way he has God performed over the centuries or has he not met up with any of your expectations?
    [Of course I dont believe in your God, but to humour you] ....

I'm not all that sure exactly what has been going on "over the centuries", as I reckon history to possibly be largely false.

As for my life time on this rock and what I have experienced , I would say that if I had've been born 20 years earlier I may well have been beaten to death in the outback somewhere.
    I seem to talk a lot and truthfully and at times it irritates the hell out of people.
    Even my build has helped me avoid much trouble.

I was impressed with the way we got through the eighties, with so much over indulgence and not a care for the planet.
    But 2001 was a real bummer.
    First year to a new millenium and what "happens" ?
    The twin towers get anihalated by 2 planes.
    An absolute tragic and very regrettable start to a new millenium with so many possibilities starting to open up for so many ordinary people, a lot seems to have been set back on 9/11
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 22:54
    Originally posted by menace71
    No......I would not be so presumptuous to ever change God or wish he was different.....That being said I don't understand why God has allowed suffering and all but I also believe that God will eventually right all wrongs

Manny
    Let me ask you this and this is the very center of our ( humans ) situation from Adam till now.
    If God had just destroyed satan and killed Adam and Eve and just started all over with new humans, what would that have proved to all watching? I'm referring to all the angels?
    Because if he had we would no doubt still be living in that paradise that God had told Adam to spread earthwide for all to live in. That would have been great for us now and there would be no suffering. Right?

The catch point here is what satan said to Eve at Gen 3:1-5?

Genesis 3:1-5

New King James Version (NKJV)

3 Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Has God indeed said, ‘You shall not eat of every tree of the garden’?”

2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’”

4 Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

So in the simplest terms, what was satan saying about God ans accusing him of?
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 20:28
    Let me ask you this and this is the very center of our ( humans ) situation from Adam till now.
    If God had just destroyed satan and killed Adam and Eve and just started all over with new humans, what would that have proved to all watching? I'm referring to all the angels?
    You think god is worried about what others (the angels) think?

He is paranoid about Gabriel and Michael talking behind his back?

funny stuff
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 23:59
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You think god is worried about what others (the angels) think?

He is paranoid about Gabriel and Michael talking behind his back?

funny stuff
    You need to think on this a little more.

If you see no need for absolute justice and fairess and not wanting the issues to come up ever again then that's fine for you. But that's not the way God's justice works.
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 03:37
    Because if he had we would no doubt still be living in that paradise that God h ...[text shortened]... od and evil.”

So in the simplest terms, what was satan saying about God ans accusing him of?
    I get God's justice and I understand what you are saying....I guess my point is God is sovereign is all I'm saying.....He will do what He wills

Manny
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 11:09
    In why has God allowed things to continue on and get so bad?
    I am aware of why that is, thanks anyway.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 11:11
    Originally posted by menace71
    [b....I guess my point is God is sovereign is all I'm saying.....He will do what He wills [/b]
    Not according to some here e.g. checkbaiter.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 05:16
    1. You need to think on this a little more.

2. If you see no need for absolute justice and fairess and not wanting the issues to come up ever again then that's fine for you.

3. But that's not the way God's justice works.
    1. No I don't.

2. If I did yes, but I don't.

3. It doesn't work at all ... does it?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 05:17
    Now g75 answer me.

Why do you think god is worried about what others (the angels) think?

Do you think he is he paranoid?
  15. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 19:48
    You need to think on this a little more.

If you see no need for absolute justice and fairess and not wanting the issues to come up ever again then that's fine for you. But that's not the way God's justice works.
    Why do you feed the troll?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree