1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 03:10
    2 Pet 1:20
    20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,
    (NKJ)

What is your interpretation?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 03:12
    Ok...
    2 Cor 12:7
    7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.
    (NKJ)
  3. England
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 11:39
    i thinkit is to show man that the suffering will be not in vain, and tokeep me from becoming conceited but corinthians 12 says the third heaven as a man called up whether in body or out of body is more interesting.
  4. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 14:14
    The Bible does not tell us what it is. The only thing stated is why Paul had it.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 14:17
    Originally posted by gambit3
    The Bible does not tell us what it is. The only thing stated is why Paul had it.
    Oh...but I disagree...it most certainly does.😉
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 17:41
    There is a reason I quoted 1Peter1:20....I have heard teaching how Paul had poor eyesight, Paul had a problem with woman, and a multiplicity of answers. But what does the bible say?...
    I have learned that the bible is great on definitions. If you don't know what is meant by a word, simply go back to previous usage...let's take "thorn."
    Num 33:55
    55 'But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then it shall be that those whom you let remain shall be irritants in your eyes and thorns in your sides, and they shall harass you in the land where you dwell.
    (NKJ)

Josh 23:13
    13 "know for certain that the LORD your God will no longer drive out these nations from before you. But they shall be snares and traps to you, and scourges on your sides and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from this good land which the LORD your God has given you.
    (NKJ)

Judg 2:3
    3 "Therefore I also said, 'I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.'"
    (NKJ)

So, a logical conclusion is what are thorns in your sides?....People!...It tells us right in the verse that satan sent "messengers"..people, to harrass Paul, and thwart his ministry...
    2 Cor 12:7
    7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.
    (NKJ)

If we study the bible, it gives answers. No need for guesswork.
    The reason we have so many denominations is differing interpretations...the good part is that if you preach error, sooner or later there will be a contradiction...God is Perfect and The Word of God has to be Perfect...God bless...CB 🙂
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 17:48
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    There is a reason I quoted 1Peter1:20....I have heard teaching how Paul had poor eyesight, Paul had a problem with woman, and a multiplicity of answers. But what does the bible say?...
    I have learned that the bible is great on definitions. If you don't know what is meant by a word, simply go back to previous usage...let's take "thorn."
    5 ...[text shortened]... l be a contradiction...God is Perfect and The Word of God has to be Perfect...God bless...CB 🙂
    Very good point CB.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '05 19:27
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Very good point CB.
    Thank you...but the credit goes to God and the Lord Jesus Christ. The Word of God has been around for a long time, and it needs to be read and handled correctly, as God in His wisdom intended. Otherwise we get a lot of confusion, which is what satan would have...🙂
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 05:252 edits
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    5 ...[text shortened]... l be a contradiction...God is Perfect and The Word of God has to be Perfect...God bless...CB 🙂
    That’s good. But it is not necessarily conclusive (still good though).

2 Corinthians. 6 But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me,
    7 even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated.
    8 Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me,
    9 but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
    10 Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.
    11 I have been a fool! You forced me to it. Indeed you should have been the ones commending me, for I am not at all inferior to these super-apostles, even though I am nothing.

(1) Paul speaks of “a thorn,” singular; and “a messenger,” singular. So I think it would be more likely to be a person, rather than “people.” Of course it could be a particular group of people. James or Peter or the group of Jerusalem apostles (“these super-apostles”?) comes to mind as a possibility.

(2) On the other hand, Paul also speaks of “my weaknesses” right after referring to his appeal to God to remove the thorn, and the response that “power is made manifest in weakness.” Therefore, it could still be something about Paul himself, something that he viewed as a weakness or personal defect. Following your lead, I did a search for the words “thorn” and “thorns.” Generally, they either seem to reference actual thorns and briars, or are used—as you point out—as a metaphor for certain people, types of people or nations. I happened to find this one though—

Proverbs 15:19 The way of the lazy is overgrown with thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

Maybe Paul wanted to do even more than he was doing, but judged himself to be “lazy”—or at least lacking in the degree of energy he would have liked to have, to accomplish even more. Hard to imagine, given all his travels, etc. So I think I’d throw this one out as being ludicrously weak.

In any event, I don’t think that the “thorn” being something pertaining to Paul’s person is totally out of the ballpark; and it could be something that he didn’t identify publicly. “Thorn in the flesh” is a pretty common and broad metaphor, at least today, and Paul may not have intended to send anyone looking for scriptural clues. However, I think that the “thorn” being a person or group of persons might be a stronger bet. And I admit I had never really considered that till I read your post. 🙂
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 15:581 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd[/i]

2 Corinthians. 6 But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me,
    7 even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to ht be a stronger bet. And I admit I had never really considered that till I read your post. 🙂
    "thorns" is used by Christ in his parables, never in a good light either. Matt 7:16 13:7 13:22
    In Mark and Luke also

Is very likely that Paul would be using Christ's definition, since he was a Christian , wasn't he?

Mark 4:18 And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and
    it becometh unfruitful .

I wonder how fruitful that obvious BIG ego of his actually made him.
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 17:12
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    "thorns" is used by Christ in his parables, never in a good light either. Matt 7:16 13:7 13:22
    In Mark and Luke also

Is very likely that Paul would be using Christ's definition, since he was a Christian , wasn't he?

Mark 4:18 And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, 4:19 And the cares of ...[text shortened]... nfruitful .

So that the "thorns" are either: 1. (spiritually) unhealthy "cares of the world," etc. that hold false promises of happiness or fulfillment--addictions for example; and/or 2. human tendencies to latch onto such attractions? Maybe Paul's tempermentalness would fall into that category?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 20:42
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    In Mark and Luke also

Mark 4:18 And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, 4:19 And the cares of ...[text shortened]... nfruitful .

I totally disagree...Paul was a "duolos" slave for Christ. I don't know if you know what that entails, but nevertheless he was totally committed to Christ!
    He in my opinion, was the greatest Christian, ever. He submitted and allowed Christ to work in him in a mighty way, not to mention he wrote 14 books of the NT, as the Lord led him.
    He was a pharisee, but willing gave up all, for Jesus Christ, and will be awarded accordingly, and so he should!
  13. London
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 20:56
    Originally posted by vistesd

[i]2 Corinthians. 6 But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me,
    7 even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to ...[text shortened]... ht be a stronger bet. And I admit I had never really considered that till I read your post. 🙂
    Why not a literal "thorn in the flesh"? Or some kind of physical affliction?
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 21:58
    Originally posted by lucifershammer

Yes; I meant my reference to “pertaining to Paul’s person” in the last paragraph to include that—but I had lost sight of it and didn’t make that clear.

Checkbaiter: He in my opinion, was the greatest Christian, ever. He submitted and allowed Christ to work in him in a mighty way …

But that does not mean he was perfect—i.e., had no personal failings or ailments. Nor does it mean that everything he said, wrote or did was “in the spirit” or “in Christ.” He was a human being, who admitted to having “weaknesses.”
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 22:28
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]Why not a literal "thorn in the flesh"? Or some kind of physical affliction?

Yes; I meant my reference to “pertaining to Paul’s person” in the last paragraph to include that—but I had lost sight of it and didn’t make that clear.

Checkbaiter: He in my opinion, was the greatest Christian, ever. He submitted and allowed Christ to work in him ...[text shortened]... was “in the spirit” or “in Christ.” He was a human being, who admitted to having “weaknesses.”
    Iill answer the second part first...no he was not perfect, he was only a man, and while Iagree that not all he did was in the spirit, what he wrote, was. Because of the simple truth that all of the bible, including Pauls writings or books were given as "holy men of God spoke thru the holy spirit".2Peter1:21

As far as physical affliction, perhaps he had one, but this was not his "thorn". Are you implying that to keep him humble, God gave him an affliction?...this would not fit with God being "all light and in Him is no darkness at all" would it?

That to me would sound like, "ok son, good job, so far, but here, have some cancer so you won't get too heady".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree