1. Gangster Land
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 06:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    What am I, chopped liver? :'(
    Sorry mate, you have actually thought through your belief system. I can think you are incorrect and still have respect for you (which I do), but this mind numbing mantra these kids repeat over and over again is entirely unworthy of respect.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 06:29
    Originally posted by amannion
    No, I was, as would most of us be in the christian world. But if I was born in Afghanistan or Pakistan or somewhere else (and assuming I was still alive today) I'd be spouting on about Muhammed. And if it was Israel I'd be talking the finer points of the Torah.
    I don't get too swept up in self righteous christianity when the only thing that governs your belief is the postcode (that'll be zip code in the US) of your birth.
    I will agree with one thing and that is that faith comes by hearing. At least, this is a Biblical truth. For example, you have heard your entire life that the Artic exists and you believe it. However, get a few naysayers out their saying otherwise and your faith gradually is put on trial. I think everyones faith needs to be put on trial. We need to know what we believe and why we believe it.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 06:331 edit
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Sorry mate, you have actually thought through your belief system. I can think you are incorrect and still have respect for you (which I do), but this mind numbing mantra these kids repeat over and over again is entirely unworthy of respect.
    Thanks. But why can't you respect me AND believe what I say is true?
  4. Gangster Land
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 06:41
    Thanks. But why can't you respect me AND believe what I say is true?
    Well, its not as if I think you're lying. I'm sure it is quite true for you, and to the extent your truth causes you happieness and fulfillment...great! It just isn't true for me, I've tried, it didn't take.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 08:59
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Well, its not as if I think you're lying. I'm sure it is quite true for you, and to the extent your truth causes you happieness and fulfillment...great! It just isn't true for me, I've tried, it didn't take.
    You're not supposed to "try" , you're supposed to let God 'take hold' of you ...which is actually harder than trying. You cannot have faith by your own will power , only the by the power of the Spirit.
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 02:07
    I will agree with one thing and that is that faith comes by hearing. At least, this is a Biblical truth. For example, you have heard your entire life that the Artic exists and you believe it. However, get a few naysayers out their saying otherwise and your faith gradually is put on trial. I think everyones faith needs to be put on trial. We need to know what we believe and why we believe it.
    I agree completely.
  7. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 05:55
    No, you believe it because you've been told to believe it and brought up to believe it.
    No I believe it because I've experienced it and been opened to the truth.
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 12:18
    Originally posted by chappy1
    No I believe it because I've experienced it and been opened to the truth.
    What exactly have you experienced?
    And what exactly do you mean by being opened to the truth?
  9. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 10:58
    No, I was, as would most of us be in the christian world. But if I was born in Afghanistan or Pakistan or somewhere else (and assuming I was still alive today) I'd be spouting on about Muhammed. And if it was Israel I'd be talking the finer points of the Torah.
    I don't get too swept up in self righteous christianity when the only thing that governs your belief is the postcode (that'll be zip code in the US) of your birth.
    Doesn't this actually say more about how YOU form your beliefs than anything else. I was brought up an Atheist but the truth still found a way. If you feel that you would have succumbed to whatever cultural brainwashing you were exposed to then it's a comment on you not others.
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 21:54
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Doesn't this actually say more about how YOU form your beliefs than anything else. I was brought up an Atheist but the truth still found a way. If you feel that you would have succumbed to whatever cultural brainwashing you were exposed to then it's a comment on you not others.
    Well in the end all we can talk about is how our own beliefs form, that's true.
    But obviously the people in this forum are not going to be truly representative of belief systems across the world, since we're the ones who are thrashing it all - we're self selected to be passionate about our positions.
    What I'm saying is that people tend to have the faith of the culture they're born into - but clearly you and I and many others are exceptions to that. Perhaps exceptions that prove the rule?
    Is it likely, for example, that the next pope will come from India or China or Afghanistan? No, of course not. It's not impossible, but the large majority of people in those places aren't catholic. But why should that be if any religious faith has as much strength as any other?
    In an ideal world, people would choose the faith that suits them from the complete range of possible faiths. But we don't live in that world do we. You get what you're given.

Why are you a christian? You were brought up an atheist you say, but why choose christianity as opposed to say Bahai? I would guess because you live in a society that is largely christian. You are exposed to christian beliefs, but not to many others.
  11. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 09:02
    Well in the end all we can talk about is how our own beliefs form, that's true.
    But obviously the people in this forum are not going to be truly representative of belief systems across the world, since we're the ones who are thrashing it all - we're self selected to be passionate about our positions.
    What I'm saying is that people tend to have the faith o ...[text shortened]... hat is largely christian. You are exposed to christian beliefs, but not to many others.
    I'm a christian because I wanted to know the truth , I sought the truth and sought it earnestly and passionately. God saw this and met me half way along the road.
  12. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 18:12
    What exactly have you experienced?
    And what exactly do you mean by being opened to the truth?
    What used to sound like nonsense to me now I know to be true. See, not so long ago I was like you, a skeptic. My eyes and ears have been opened and now I know the truth. I'm a relatively new Christian.
  13. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 19:44
    What used to sound like nonsense to me now I know to be true. See, not so long ago I was like you, a skeptic. My eyes and ears have been opened and now I know the truth. I'm a relatively new Christian.
    Nice to have you on board brother!
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 21:35
    No, I'm guessing you weren't much like me at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree