What we believe in...

What we believe in...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
12 Jan 13
2 edits

Originally posted by galveston75
Now for example did God's laws in the original 10 commandments change on the "do not kill law"? Nope it hasn't. How about "do not steal"? Nope, how about all the rest? Nope.
Did God's "ways" or "laws" or "principles" change with regard to slavery, owning slaves and how to treat slaves? You stated that "[God's] ways do not change and neither do his laws and principles change." Does this assertion of yours hold true for God's attitude towards slavery and His explicit instructions? There is still slavery today in 2013. Does God endorse it as long as it complies with OT "principles"? Or have God's "laws" and "principles" - indeed His "ways" - changed in this regard?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Jan 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Apply to whom? I suspect it still applies to Jews, but you were attempting to state that the Law itself has changed, where has it changed?
Re OT Law

Presumably it applied to all and not just Jews?
Are you saying that ALL in OT is still valid?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
12 Jan 13

Lilith. Not exactly sure why I needed to say that. The editors (😉) of the Bible carefully considered how best to control you, the dumb-ass public.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
I suppose in its defence one could say that the Lord works in mysterious ways. The Book of Revelation, for example, has similar credibility problems.
Do tell...

F

Moves
12 Jan 13

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Do tell...
It's been discussed here countless times so you know what the credibility problem is, even if you don't agree.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
It's been discussed here countless times so you know what the credibility problem is, even if you don't agree.
It's only a "credibility problem" if you do not believe in God.

F

Moves
12 Jan 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
It's only a "credibility problem" if you do not believe in God.
The "credibility problem" I perceive with Revelation was one of the reasons why I started to question the Christian claims that God had revealed Himself to them. And it is therefore one of the reasons why I am no longer a Christian, after a 28 year long stint. So you've got it exactly the wrong way round - the cart before the horse - Suzianne.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Jan 13

Originally posted by finnegan
If God was literally unchanging, of course, there would be nothing to observe and no interaction would be possible. The Gnostics addressed that problem more directly than the Christians. But for Christians, God has done plenty of changing. The Old and New Testament are filled with changes, which the devout have taken to explaining as a gradually unfoldin ...[text shortened]... iance to the Christians apparently). So it would seem that in a changing world, God changes too.
Good points.

The dispensationalist sees an unchanging God with changing administrations
policies, procedures, etc.
for the different eras
ages
of man's history.

Despite the particulars, the specifics of salvation have remained the same since the Fall in the Garden, i.e., believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.
Those in the past looked forward to His appearance
beginning with the curse on the serpent and the promise to the woman as they were being ushered out of the Garden: Genesis 3:15
while those who live after His work look back on the same.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
I don't recall the specifics of Revelations with respect to incredulity on the level of the reference to Manuscript Found.
Your comment makes it sound as though you're suggesting the last book of the Bible was plagiarized.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
The "credibility problem" I perceive with Revelation was one of the reasons why I started to question the Christian claims that God had revealed Himself to them. And it is therefore one of the reasons why I am no longer a Christian, after a 28 year long stint. So you've got it exactly the wrong way round - the cart before the horse - Suzianne.
If you do not trust in God, then you do not believe in God in the first place. This is the "weak faith" that many so-called Christians today have.

I do have the cause and effect in order. If you do not believe God, then you never really believed in God in the first place.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Jan 13
1 edit

I don't recall the specifics of Revelations with respect to incredulity on the level of the reference to Manuscript Found.
Your comment makes it sound as though you're suggesting the last book of the Bible was plagiarized.
I think he's rather suggesting that the Book of Revelation is a gigantic fairy tale on the order of The Wizard of Oz.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Jan 13

I think he's rather suggesting that the Book of Revelation is a gigantic fairy tale on the order of The Wizard of Oz.
Which is a different tack than out-right plagiarism as a basis for rejection, but the difficulty of interpretation should not dictate relevance.
If that were the case, the red-letter passages would never see the light of day!

F

Moves
12 Jan 13

If you do not trust in God, then you do not believe in God in the first place. This is the "weak faith" that many so-called Christians today have.

I do have the cause and effect in order. If you do not believe God, then you never really believed in God in the first place.
It's all moot, Suzianne. So you can just tell yourself whatever you want to or need to.

I do not believe that God has revealed Himself to you.

F

Moves
12 Jan 13

I said "I suppose in [the Book of Mormon's] defence one could say that the Lord works in mysterious ways."

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
I said "I suppose in [the Book of Mormon's] defence one could say that the Lord works in mysterious ways."
Too opaque for me, but I get the intended drift, I suppose.

So exactly what was it about Revelations that soured you on faith?