1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 12:55
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]What's the cause of this forum becoming predictable and dreary?

Any insights?

gb[/b]
    I hear the default position shouldn't be that there is a cause its totally random as
    to why. 🙂
    Kelly
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:06
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I hear the default position shouldn't be that there is a cause its totally random as
    to why. 🙂
    Kelly
    No you've not got that right at all.

The default position is not to assume that an event does or does not have a cause and
    not to assume what that cause (if there is one) is.

You start from the neutral default position of not knowing and then try to find out what if
    any cause there is.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:11
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No you've not got that right at all.

The default position is not to assume that an event does or does not have a cause and
    not to assume what that cause (if there is one) is.

You start from the neutral default position of not knowing and then try to find out what if
    any cause there is.
    Saying there isn't a cause is not a neutral position, it is stating there isn't a
    cause, again not knowing the cause is not the same as saying there isn't one.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:14

Any insights?

gb[/b]
    My take:-
    i) The forum participants appear to be interested in defending / attacking this or that formal religion rather than Spirituality, with Biblical content dominating the discussions. The forum is about discussions on Spirituality. Philosophy, Theology and Spiritual experiences / practices, for example, should have been the the topics of the threads.
    ii) There are several atheists camping on the site, whose aim, apparently is to make vitriolic attacks on theists and make fun of Christianity, rather than listen to the views of the theists.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:17
    Saying there isn't a cause is not a neutral position, it is stating there isn't a
    cause, again not knowing the cause is not the same as saying there isn't one.
    Kelly
    Yes saying that there isn't a cause is not a neutral position because you are making the
    positive claim that there is no cause.

However if you actually read what I said you will find that I said the neutral default starting
    position is to NOT KNOW or ASSUME that there IS or IS NOT a cause for a particular event.

You start from there and then follow the evidence to see where it leads.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:18
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    My take:-
    i) The forum participants appear to be interested in defending / attacking this or that formal religion rather than Spirituality, with Biblical content dominating the discussions. The forum is about discussions on Spirituality. Philosophy, Theology and Spiritual experiences / practices, for example, should have been the the topics of the threa ...[text shortened]... attacks on theists and make fun of Christianity, rather than listen to the views of the theists.
    You missed the theists who like to make vitriolic attacks on and mock those of faiths other than their own.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:25
    You missed the theists who like to make vitriolic attacks on and mock those of faiths other than their own.
    It is a human trait; the attacks just show the types of hearts people have on
    display here. When it becomes people not points that are addressed it is a sign of
    heart that is flawed in my opinion, in life those types of things lead down the path
    of actually doing negative things to others. If you cannot be civil here odds are
    when push comes to shove you'll not be elsewhere either given the proper
    situations.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 13:26
    Yes, we can include these types of theists too.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 17:02
    to why. 🙂
    Kelly
    Sourc?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 17:17

Any insights?

gb[/b]
    Is there any forum you don't find boring, predictable and sleepy?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 17:17
    Yes saying that there isn't a cause is not a neutral position because you are making the
    positive claim that there is no cause.

However if you actually read what I said you will find that I said the neutral default starting
    position is to NOT KNOW or ASSUME that there IS or IS NOT a cause for a particular event.

You start from there and then follow the evidence to see where it leads.
    I tend to agree, but the non-theistic branch of existentialism takes our existence as a brute fact as to cause, meaning, and purpose; the theistic branch disagrees. Which of these does the evidence favor? What counts as said evidence?

Does the fact that we are naturally inclined to look for cause and effect, and the fact that looking for cause and effect is a tendency molded by its evolutionary success, count as evidence, or does it merely count as a reason to do it where it clearly works, and leave the question open elsewhere?
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 17:57
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is there any forum you don't find boring, predictable and sleepy?
    He seems to like the General Forum a lot - he starts most of the threads there.

Maybe we shouldn't encourage him here. 😵
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 18:11
    Seems chronic cynicism may be the cause of your apparent negativity and boredom.
    and what chronic symptom do you diagnose for your boredom that causes you to post multiple irrelevant questions?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 21:10
    Sourc?
    Other posters here.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 21:15
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    and what chronic symptom do you diagnose for your boredom that causes you to post multiple irrelevant questions?
    Happy as a clam, excited about each new day and relish my freedom. Reason: the hole in my soul has been filled to the brim and running over.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree