1. Standard memberspiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    Springfield, USA
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 22:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    Unfortunatly, all words mean something. If we use these words in vain we are still held accountable for saying them in vain. You may not mean literally what you are saying, such as saying you want to send someone to hell, but you are saying it nonetheless. As I said before, every idle word will be held accountable that you speak by God himeself. This was ...[text shortened]... to be a Christian and continues to curse and those who do not. Trust me, you are being watched.
    I understand your point, and I cannot dispute that others are sensitve to language. But these are the facts, language discrimination was the first instance of justifying classism by the so-called faithful. The unrefined or common persons language was referred to as cursing because the uppity-ups and mucktee-mucks thought they were cursed because they were poor, common and unrefined.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 23:171 edit
    Originally posted by spiritmangr8ness
    I understand your point, and I cannot dispute that others are sensitve to language. But these are the facts, language discrimination was the first instance of justifying classism by the so-called faithful. The unrefined or common persons language was referred to as cursing because the uppity-ups and mucktee-mucks thought they were cursed because they were poor, common and unrefined.
    I will go a step further. Read 1 Corinthians chapter 9. It talks about offending your brother in Christ. You may become a stumblingblock in his walk of faith if you offend him, whatever that may be. In effect, you should go out of your way not to offend him, even if such an offense is not deemed a sin in and of itself. Its a little thing called respect. Drinking alcohol comes to mind. I know of many Christians who view it as sinful to drink it. I, however, do not so long as one does not get drunk. In fact, it says in 1 Timothy 5:23 to drink a little wine for your infirmities. It has even shown to be medically beneficial in moderate use. However, if I am around other believers who think otherwise, I will in no way attempt to offend them or challenge them on the issue. To do so would only give me personal gratification as being the one that is right and the other wrong. There is really no point on a Christian level to stir up such strife just so I can pat myself on the back for being right.

In regards to those who continue to curse out of habit, I would say one needs to continue to show respect to them and embrace them even though they may offend you. After all, we are called to build others up in the faith and give correction with a loving attitude where God directs you. It all comes down to your level of maturity as a Christian I suppose.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 00:23
    Vulgarity was the english language of the common people. The use of vulgar english was frowned upon by the upper classes in England only because it was thought that it lacked refinement. It was also referred to as ordinary people's language.

A curse of Biblical proportion would sound something like, " May your womb be barren that you may have n ...[text shortened]... amels infest your armpits"

We say things like "WTF" It may be vulgar, but not a curse!
    what is a curse then?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 03:58
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    whats the connection between curse words and christianity? christians dotn like to curse but its not in the ten commandments so theres nothing wrong with it right?
    Colossians 3:8
    But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
  5. Standard memberspiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    Springfield, USA
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 18:49
    what is a curse then?
    It would appear; just barely based upon some scriputal cross-references that a malevolent appeal to a supernatural being for harm to come to something or someone. Every formidable belief system agrees upon one thing; the power of the spoken word. It is a common theme in as much as blessings and curses are in the power of the tounge. Word power is the life blood of all mankind no matter the religion or spiritual belief. - Just an observation -
  6. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 19:26
    It would appear; just barely based upon some scriputal cross-references that a malevolent appeal to a supernatural being for harm to come to something or someone. Every formidable belief system agrees upon one thing; the power of the spoken word. It is a common theme in as much as blessings and curses are in the power of the tounge. Word power is the life blood of all mankind no matter the religion or spiritual belief. - Just an observation -
    i guess ive never cursed anybody before lol, i think its something different. what about the people before words were invented? words are not powerful to me.
  7. Standard memberspiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    Springfield, USA
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 19:47
    i guess ive never cursed anybody before lol, i think its something different. what about the people before words were invented? words are not powerful to me.
    Well Christ is known to Christians as the Word of God, having all Power. Words can heal, and words can destroy. You don't believe that?
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 23:441 edit
    Well Christ is known to Christians as the Word of God, having all Power. Words can heal, and words can destroy. You don't believe that?
    not really. well they can for some people
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 01:28
    I don't think you have thought that through if that is your opinion.
    Words cause actions, they move people to do and feel things, and
    that is power without even talking about the Word of God.
    Kelly
  10. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 02:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I don't think you have thought that through if that is your opinion.
    Words cause actions, they move people to do and feel things, and
    that is power without even talking about the Word of God.
    Kelly
    they can cause certain actions but if you mean power as in affecting self-esteem it has power on only some people. ^^^he said words had the power to heal or harm people, which most of the time i dont think they do.
  11. Standard memberspiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    Springfield, USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 03:22
    they can cause certain actions but if you mean power as in affecting self-esteem it has power on only some people. ^^^he said words had the power to heal or harm people, which most of the time i dont think they do.
    It is all still subjective to the listener. If a man or woman presupposes something about themselves like "I'm a failure because my children weren't successful" and someone says, "Your a wonderful parent" It is about a 50/50 chance that the statement would either hurt or heal. The point is not in the healing or lack thereof; it's the power to cause.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 13:54
    We disagree, I also doubt very strongly that even you feel that way.
    A kind word or a harsh one can turn the course of your life even for
    a short period of time. It may be more powerful with some than
    others, but the effects are there nonetheless.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree