1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 14:21
    But in talking about how these debates usually play out, I think often someone has an opinion about Jesus or God and takes the initiative to demand to know if they are damned for believing something.

Often it seems the person is eager to push Christians into a position of saying they are not saved for holding some concept.
    Not always does it "play out" this way, but often I think.

That may or may not be. I am secure and confident in what I believe. I am simply speaking the proclamation of my call,
    2 Tim 4:2-5
    Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
    NKJV
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 21:563 edits
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    It is a common assumption that if what God really offered in the person of his Son was his own self, then, God being infinite, his sacrifice would be of infinite value, nothing to be compared to the offering of a 'mere man'.
    Let's examine this a little more closely... To begin with there is the fundamental contradiction inherent in the assertion that the immortal God, who cannot die, actually did. At the very least, on this basis it must be conceded that only the human, and not the divine part of ‘God-the-Son’ died, so Jesus did not give all of himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is an argument to this from man's limited mind.

But what the Bible says is that the Word that was with God and was God became flesh. Man may say that he doesn't believe it because the man of flesh died.

But why stop at the death. One could argue somewhat the same from every point of the existence of this One from conception, human living, and all works and acts done during that time.

One could argue that none of this human living could have been God. But the Scripture does not say the Word ceased to be the Word in incarnation OR at any other point including death.

So rather than argue that God cannot die so Jesus cannot be God become a man, I believe that the Good News shows something else. -

God cannot die so in resurrection He proved that He transcends death. There is a GREATER reality than even DEATH. That is an indestructible life.

"I am the resurrection and the life" (John 11:25) means that even before He died He transcends any form of what we call death. Though He pass through it in man God cannot be held by it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree