1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 02:43
    Originally posted by telerion
    If Christ did exist, then all I can say about his body is that it is somewhere on Earth and has likely decomposed.
    Why?
  2. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 10:44
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't know if the body ever existed, if it still exists in one piece, or where it or its parts are if it does exist.
    There are body parts all over the European Churches. A church isn't a church without Jesus' prepuce, his left knuckle or his right testicle. Indeed, I remember reading somewhere that there are over eighty of Jesus' prepuces preserved in reliquies (pardon the spelling - it's not a term I use often) and there are enough pieces of the True Cross to make the Eiffel Tower!
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 10:47
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Why?
    Do you really need someone to answer this?

Oh very well then. As a human being, when you die, you lose the necessary biological processes to maintain your cells and they stop working. As such you have no immune system and no waste disposal function, your temperature falls and bacteria have free run on your body and it becomes a great feeding ground for them. Eventually organisms like flies, join the table, or if underground, burrowing insects, some nematodes, beetles, etc. You get the picture. Eventually all these guests satiate themselves on your flesh and you become a pile of bones, which are of little use to such creatures, but which, in the right conditions can eventually erode or decay through chemical or physical means.

If the conditions good, the bones can be preserved for a great length of time (1000s of years) and eventually either become fossils or are dug up by Time Team.
  4. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 03:52
    I think it was in Herbert Muller's book The Uses of the Past that I read that several medieval churches simultaneously claimed to own the relic of Christ's circumcision.

Off topic, but does anybody know about a Catholic ritual where a priest holds a bottle of solidified saint's blood, and it liquefies?
  5. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 03:24
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac
    I think it was in Herbert Muller's book The Uses of the Past that I read that several medieval churches simultaneously claimed to own the relic of Christ's circumcision.

Off topic, but does anybody know about a Catholic ritual where a priest holds a bottle of solidified saint's blood, and it liquefies?
    Yep - it is the supposed "Miracle of St Januarius". For more detail on this delicious ceremony, check out: http://www.dailycatholic.org/issue/Sep/185news3.htm
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    25 Mar '05 03:36
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Do you really need someone to answer this?

Oh very well then. As a human being, when you die, you lose the necessary biological processes to maintain your cells and they stop working. As such you have no immune system and no waste disposal function, your temperature falls and bacteria have free run on your body and it becomes a great feeding ground f ...[text shortened]... length of time (1000s of years) and eventually either become fossils or are dug up by Time Team.
    Yes, that is how things normally go.

However, the converse of "Jesus rose from the dead." is not " all men stay in their graves." it is "Jesus stayed in HIS grave."

He didn't.
  7. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 06:49
    Yes, that is how things normally go.

However, the converse of "Jesus rose from the dead." is not " all men stay in their graves." it is "Jesus stayed in HIS grave."

He didn't.
    Bump
  8. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 11:25
    Are you going to spend all your time at RHP 'bumping' your posts to the top of the list.

What type of argument do you want about Christ's body?

THE FACTS
    1. Fundamentalist Christians believe that Christ's body came to life and he trotted off to heaven.
    2. Everyone else believes that he died and his body rotted away.
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 20:29
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    Are you going to spend all your time at RHP 'bumping' your posts to the top of the list.

What type of argument do you want about Christ's body?

THE FACTS
    1. Fundamentalist Christians believe that Christ's body came to life and he trotted off to heaven.
    2. Everyone else believes that he died and his body rotted away.
    The question is whose beliefs are better supported by what happened in history. And this without a naturalist bias for everything.
  10. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 23:33
    The question is whose beliefs are better supported by what happened in history. And this without a naturalist bias for everything.
    Pray tell, what is a 'naturalist bias for everything?'

Are you referring to the fact that nobody has ever observed anyone coming back from the dead leading to the conclusion that nobody comes back from the dead, a naturalist bias?
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 23:501 edit
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    Pray tell, what is a 'naturalist bias for everything?'

Are you referring to the fact that nobody has ever observed anyone coming back from the dead leading to the conclusion that nobody comes back from the dead, a naturalist bias?
    Perhaps we should use a Thorian view.

Claim: Jesus was the son of God. God raised Jesus from the dead.

Thorian: There is no god named God, so Jesus cannot be the son of God, and God couldn't have raised him from the dead. Thor maybe. Or perhaps Loki?

12. Standard memberUna
    Solacriptura
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 23:59
    Smug and presumptious. Not atypical of fundies. Anyway I have read the entire Bible (66 book version) several times. I can testify that it does not have all the answers, though my dissertation would be a much simpler task if it did.

Thanks for the verses. They answer my questions, although for completeness on point 1, you should have included the passage where Jesus ascends bodily into heaven. Otherwise good show.
    Thank you. Since the question was "Does it still have all the wounds and is it three days decomposed?", I did not think His ascension to heaven was pertinent.

I think as I answer questions and make statements in this Forum you will find my "slant" on the bible and its teachings somewhat different than the the party line.

Una

13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 00:01
    Originally posted by Una
    Thank you. Since the question was "Does it still have all the wounds and is it three days decomposed?", I did not think His ascension to heaven was pertinent.

I think as I answer questions and make statements in this Forum you will find my "slant" on the bible and its teachings somewhat different than the the party line.

Una

Excellent. That should be refreshing.
  14. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 03:241 edit
    If Christ did exist, then all I can say about his body is that it is somewhere on Earth and has likely decomposed.
    If his body is in heaven ,wouldn't his body have to be homeomorphic, to both heaven and earth?
  15. Standard memberUna
    Solacriptura
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 04:24
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    If his body is in heaven ,wouldn't his body have to be homeomorphic, to both heaven and earth?
    Asking if his body is homeomorphic is rather holophrastic in nature. The ability to be in all places at once has been a concept that is difficult to understand to say the least on our part. He, on the other hand, it is just the natural way to be. LOL, that is what He is known as "I Am"

Una

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree