1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 22:51
    Which one of the many Christian Denominations has the correct Truth ? Why so many ? Is there confusion in the Christian faith ?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 22:54
    Originally posted by buckky
    Which one of the many Christian Denominations has the correct Truth ? Why so many ? Is there confusion in the Christian faith ?
    The fact that none of them can get their story straight indicates very strongly that none of them knows what they're talking about. How many denominations of christianity are there? Then how many other religions are there and how many denominations do they have? It's ludicrous that anyone could take any of them seriously.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 23:10
    I think what it demonstrates is that the Christian faith like all religions is interpreted by people. Those on this forum who claim any particular denomination or version represents absolute truth are delusional.
    Which isn't to say that Christians are delusional, I know and work with many - most of whom are pretty great people. But so are many of the atheists, jews, muslims, buddhists and others that I know ....

What does that tell you?
  4. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 23:12
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The fact that none of them can get their story straight indicates very strongly that none of them knows what they're talking about. How many denominations of christianity are there? Then how many other religions are there and how many denominations do they have? It's ludicrous that anyone could take any of them seriously.
    Religions by nature tend to be complex deductive systems and therefore are flawed by their own logic as they rely on the solution of some open-ended question.

"Any adequate axiomatizable theory is incomplete. In particular the sentence "This sentence is not provable" is true but not provable in the theory."
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 23:18
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Religions by nature tend to be complex deductive systems and therefore are flawed by their own logic as they rely on the solution of some open-ended question.

"Any adequate axiomatizable theory is incomplete. In particular the sentence "This sentence is not provable" is true but not provable in the theory."
    Which is true but does't really explain why so many people believe in any of the multitude of religious faiths. In the end you've got to go beyond logic and reasoning to understand that religion fulfills a particular need for many people.
  6. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 23:27
    Originally posted by amannion
    Which is true but does't really explain why so many people believe in any of the multitude of religious faiths. In the end you've got to go beyond logic and reasoning to understand that religion fulfills a particular need for many people.
    Because they are too afraid to fulfill it themselves.... religion thrives off fear.
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 23:36
    Because they are too afraid to fulfill it themselves.... religion thrives off fear.
    I'm not so sure it's fear.
    Or at least not for all.
    I think many religious people fulfill their needs because they don't know how else to do so - that is, having been brought up within a religion it seems obvious to use that background.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 23:42
    the Unitarians because they do not really believe anything
  9. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 23:57
    I'm not so sure it's fear.
    Or at least not for all.
    I think many religious people fulfill their needs because they don't know how else to do so - that is, having been brought up within a religion it seems obvious to use that background.
    I agree with you... people just want to feel accepted and loved... I love you! 😀

But hey, the way I see it is if you love yourself and others and you accept yourself and others then so will the others onto you.
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 00:05
    I agree with you... people just want to feel accepted and loved... I love you! 😀

But hey, the way I see it is if you love yourself and others and you accept yourself and others then so will the others onto you.
    Thanks CJ, I love you too 😉
    Was that a typo or did you mean 'onto'?
    I'm interested in this idea of others getting 'onto' me. Sounds great.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 01:46
    If you believe in the Bible and in Christ then you need to believe what Christ said as he is the only authority on Christianity. Modern religions have screwed up the teachings of Christ and added stuff to it which Christ never taught. They have done this because of the basic flaws inherent in all of mankind, greed & the desire for power. So I suggest you be cautious when joining any church as some have the tendency to turn you into a fanatic.

Christ was never a fanatic, he was humble and hung out with the lowlifes and drunks and the common ordinary folk of his time. You might be surprised to find out that he never commanded anyone to attend a church. Most of his teachings centered around the 'love thy neighbour' principle, and its how well we are able to help the poor, feed the hungry, take care of the unfortunate around us, is what is going to determine whether or not we get salvation. It has nothing to do with attending church or which church is correct.

Read Matt 25 v 31-46.
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 01:55
    There is no true Denomination.

The only Truth is Christ Jesus.
    John 14:6

You can go to any Church you want but if you do not have a personal relationship with Christ it mean nothing. Acts 4:12

Romans 10:13 and Acts 2:21 say call on the Lord; it doesn't say call on a religion or denomination.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 01:59
    I think what it demonstrates is that the Christian faith like all religions is interpreted by people. Those on this forum who claim any particular denomination or version represents absolute truth are delusional.
    Which isn't to say that Christians are delusional, I know and work with many - most of whom are pretty great people. But so are many of the atheists, jews, muslims, buddhists and others that I know ....

What does that tell you?
    That tells me that being Good doesn't get you to heaven.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 02:02
    that is why I gave up my religion for a relationship. I have no fear I know where I am going. 1 John 5:13
  15. Earth Prime
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 02:14
    We fight on methods of baptism, the 6 day creation, the rapture/tribulation. This is where people choose to separate themselves to call themselves Baptists or Lutherans or whatever else is out there.

The point we agree on is that "The father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world." and "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt have faith." and "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the father except through me."

The denominations really are made up of the small disagreements, and each denomination runs their church under a bit of a different contitution. If we had one wish, we'd all wish that God would come down and tell us exactly what he wants us to do, but until then, there will be different people interpreting the Word different ways.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree