1. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 01:48
    Originally posted by jaywill

Assumption with exactly NOTHING in the text to demonstrate that this is what happened. YOU assume that this is what HAD to have happened.

there is no argument you can bear that can change what is written in the bible concerning bible-gods (actually the ancient hebrew's, since bible-god is an invention) immorality.
    true, but i don't have to assume that moses was a psychotic mad man, that moses did order the kidnapping of virgin girls after their families had been massacred before them. as a war chief, he would've gotten a part of the spoils. this part is an assumption, but a very predictable assumption based on customs of the times. but like i said, it's a moot point. i used it to get a particular reaction from you and it worked.

Here again is a stark display of your ignorance of the ways of God.

no sir, that part is accurate and already proven using biblical verses.

You complain because you blame God that the world is not perfect today - now.

couldn't be further from the truth. bible-god is a mythical figure. any discussion about the bible-god is purely literary.

also, your assertion that bible-god designed his commands based on human behavior is utterly ridiculous. according to bible-god, his commandments are eternal and unchanging. his creations have no influence over him (despite some contradictions here). bible-god expected man to change his nature and obey bible-god's commandments.

Here is Job's utterance again (around 2000 BC, some 500 years prior to the writing of the Penteteuch)

"IF I HAVE DENIED JUSTICE TO MY MENSERVANTS AND MAIDSERVANTS WHEN THEY HAD A GRIEVANCE AGAINST ME, WHAT WILL I DO WHEN GOD CONFRONTS ME ? WHAT WILL I ANSWER WHEN CALLED TO ACCOUNT ? DID NOT HE WHO MADE ME IN THE WOMB MAKE THEM ? DID NOT THE SAME ONE FORM US BOTH WITHIN OUR MOTHERS ?" (JOB 31:13-15)

In the liturature of the world, produce for us an earlier expression of a divine regard for the human dignity of slaves or servants. Match it .

it is laughable that you bring job as such an example. it is not an example of divine regard for human dignity of slaves or servants, it's an example of job's regard for the dignity of slaves or servants.

job was god's servant, yet in job we see an example of severe mistreatment of such servitude from job's master. divine injustice and disregard for human dignity. bible-god brutalized his servant.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 11:2311 edits
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    true, but i don't have to assume that moses was a psychotic mad man, that moses did order the kidnapping of virgin girls after their families had been massacred before them. as a war chief, he would've gotten a part of the spoils. this part is an assumption, but a very predictable assumption based on customs of the times. but like i said, it's a moot p divine injustice and disregard for human dignity. bible-god brutalized his servant.
    true, but i don't have to assume that moses was a psychotic mad man, that moses did order the kidnapping of virgin girls after their families had been massacred before them. as a war chief, he would've gotten a part of the spoils. this part is an assumption, but a very predictable assumption based on customs of the times. but like i said, it's a moot point. i used it to get a particular reaction from you and it worked.

It is not a moot point only. It is a very weak point in addition.

The Bible had no problem elsewhere recording for the reader that David stole a man's wife. It had no problem telling of Judah's encounter with a prostitute. It had no problem telling of Abraham remarrying after the death of his solid life long companion Sarah.

Had there been the need to inform us of Moses getting a young virgin from the Midianite defeat, it probably would have candidly informed us.

I think your point is not just moot but a weak throw-in bit of suspicious slander just to poison the well.

Here again is a stark display of your ignorance of the ways of God.

bible-god is a mythical figure. any discussion about the bible-god is purely literary.

That is simply your unbelief speaking.
    I can assert my belief as easily as you can claim your disbelief.

The Bible is the word of God and truthful in telling us about God. Particularly it tells some of the history of God acting with Israel.

also, your assertion that bible-god designed his commands based on human behavior is utterly ridiculous. according to bible-god, his commandments are eternal and unchanging. his creations have no influence over him (despite some contradictions here). bible-god expected man to change his nature and obey bible-god's commandments.

Your criticism is ridiculous. Of course the commandments have in mind the creature that He created and loved.

"As compassionate as a father is toward his children, so compassionate is Jehovah toward those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." (Psalm 103:13,14)

Though God is a compassionate "father" like divine Creator He is still a righteous and holy God. He may not be the grand permissivist that the 21rst Century man envisions, allowing all manner of sins in a fog of relativity.

God's love toward man and His realization of man's fallen condition is reflected in the law of Moses. Had it NOT been in His mind, there would not have been so many offerings as the consecration offering, the trespass offering, the peace offering, the meal offering, and the various prescribed sacrfices to demonstrate His desire for man's atonement and reconciliation to Himself.

You are ignoring the commandments regarding the atoning sacrifices, all of which were symbolic pointers to the once for all reconciling death and resurrection of the Son of God accomplished for all mankind.

The commandment to honor one's parents is one of the ten commandments. It is not because God thinks everyone's parents are perfect, never making any errors, that God commands this honor. It is His sympathy for man that He commands we trace back our source of existence through our parents back to the ultimate source of our lives, God:

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be extended upon the land which Jehovah your God is giving you." (Exodus 20:12)

The command not to commit adultery also shows His love for man and desire that the married family be at harmonius peace without the fear of interferance and competition:

"You shall not commit adultery" (Exo. 20:14)

The commands not to murder, not to steal, not to testify falsely all reflect God's desire that human beings live in peace with each other, not only in harmony with God.

"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife; nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that belongs to your neighbor." (Exo. 20:17)

Of course we could add today not to covet your neighbors's car, PC, satellite dish, annuity, savings account, status in society, skin color, hair type, height, body weight, physique, IQ, academic degrees, vacation homes, etc. etc. etc.

God desire that we be thankful and trustful that He will provide aims to circumvent all jealous rivalry and all coveting, an emotion which is very harmful and makes millions miserable.

The blessings associated with the keeping of His divine law also demonstrated God's love for man. See Deuteronomy 28:1-14 .

"And if you listen diligently to the voice of Jehovah your God and are certain to do all his commandments, which I am commanding you today, Jehovah your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth.

And all these blessings will come upon you and overtake you if you listen to the voice of Jehovah your God.

Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the field.
    Blessed shall be the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your ground and the fruit of your animals ... etc. etc.

Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.

... Jehovah will comand the blessing upon you in your storehouses and in all your undertakings; and He will bless you in the land which Jehovah your God is giving you. Jehovah will establish you as a holy people to Himself, as He swore to you, if you keep the commandments of Jehovah your God and walk in His ways.

AND ALL THE PEOPLES OF THE EARTH WILL SEE THAT YOU ARE CALLED BY JEHOVAH'S NAME, AND THEY WILL BE AFRAID OF YOU."

I take that to mainly mean the nations will recognize that something seriously of the authority of God is supernaturally bestowed upon Israel. They will reverence God because of the obedient nation.

Anyway, the holy and righteous God's commandments reflect also His love. I think the more you try to slander God the more of a fool you make of yourself.

Here is Job's utterance again (around 2000 BC, some 500 years prior to the writing of the Penteteuch)

"IF I HAVE DENIED JUSTICE TO MY MENSERVANTS AND MAIDSERVANTS WHEN THEY HAD A GRIEVANCE AGAINST ME, WHAT WILL I DO WHEN GOD CONFRONTS ME ? WHAT WILL I ANSWER WHEN CALLED TO ACCOUNT ? DID NOT HE WHO MADE ME IN THE WOMB MAKE THEM ? DID NOT THE SAME ONE FORM US BOTH WITHIN OUR MOTHERS ?" (JOB 31:13-15)

In the liturature of the world, produce for us an earlier expression of a divine regard for the human dignity of slaves or servants. Match it .

it is laughable that you bring job as such an example. it is not an example of divine regard for human dignity of slaves or servants, it's an example of job's regard for the dignity of slaves or servants.

It is typical that you meet the request with laughter rather than substance. Why am I not surprised ?

job was god's servant, yet in job we see an example of severe mistreatment of such servitude from job's master. divine injustice and disregard for human dignity. bible-god brutalized his servant.

I assure you that the story of Job has encouraged MORE saints of God in perplexing situations then the volumes of slanders you have produced.

In any kind of perplexing and unexplained intolerable circumstances, as a believer in God, I would much rather have the book of Job as opposed to your pompous slanders inspired by the Devil himself.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '12 12:173 edits

Job's consideration is HOW will he answer to GOD. He is concerned about what GOD would think of his iniquity against his male or female servants. Job's consideration is about his accountability God.

Now why is this ? It is most likely due to the fact, as he says, GOD MADE BOTH HE AND HIS SERVANTS with equal creative care. It was every man who was born who was created in the image of God. And it was that revelation that God was certain to pass down to succesive generations:

"Whoever sheds man's blood, By man shall his blood be shed,

For in the image of God He made man. And you [Noah] be fruitful and multiply ..." (See Genesis 9:6,7)

Both after the creation of man and after the flood God made sure man understood that humans were created in the image of God - EVERY man and woman.

It was not just monarchs and kings who bore God's image - but EVERY MAN and WOMAN, even if they should be slaves.

Thus the backround of Job's fear for his accountability to God for the treatment of his servants.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree