1. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 03:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why didn't Moses outlaw slavery? Why didn't God punish Moses for not outlawing slavery?
    well lets see. moses invented god and the laws to unify and dominate the hebrew tribes and moses liked to keep slaves.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 03:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why would the "education" about the utter abomination of slavery need to be "gradual"? Why wasn't it included in an "Eleven Commandments"?
    Why would the "education" about the utter abomination of slavery need to be "gradual"? Why wasn't it included in an "Eleven Commandments"?

Do you think that dept servitude is an abomination ?

If a man had no means to pay a debt but agreed to work off the value of what was owed, is that an abomination to you ?

I am not sure that indentured servitude is always an abomination. It is unfortunate. If you disagree, spend some time to explain why the practice of dept servitude is an abomination.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:011 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill

If a man had no means to pay a debt but agreed to work off the value of what was owed, is that an [b]abomination
    to you ?

I am ...[text shortened]... isagree, spend some time to explain why the practice of dept servitude is an abomination.[/b]
    Let's just stick to "slavery". This is the issue I have raised with you. Do you think slavery is an abomination?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:01
    In terms of the religion (as espoused in the relevant holy books before 'interpretation'😉 they are about par, Sharia law being pretty similar to Mosaic law, and both espousing slavery and genocide.

[b]*Helping Runaway Slaves in the Old Testament*

Deuteronomy 23:15-16 - "You shall not deliver to his master the slave ...[text shortened]... en put to death and kidnapping would have not been prohibited among the covenant people.
    I believe you could only have a slave to repay the debt he owed and even
    then there was a maximum number of years that he could be held in
    slavery before he had to be set free.
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:02

If a man had no means to pay a debt but agreed to work off the value of what was owed, is that an [b]abomination
    to you ?

I am ...[text shortened]... isagree, spend some time to explain why the practice of dept servitude is an abomination.[/b]
    working off a debt is not the same as being owned property of another person. the hebrews had debt servitude to other hebrews, but those captured in their barbaric rampage across the middle east were enslaved.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:03
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    well lets see. moses invented god and the laws to unify and dominate the hebrew tribes and moses liked to keep slaves.

Could you give me the names of the slaves of Moses ?

Or can you point me to the passage about slaves of Moses please ?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:03
    I am more interested in jaywill's exquisitely contorted advocacy, really. We have already had his exquisitely contorted defence of genocide in the OT.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    I certainly do not. Their victims go on the 'Islam killing' side of the scorecard, clearly. So, will you answer I wonder: are you saying that all the Muslims killed by Christians during the nine Crusades should be chalked up on the 'Islam killing' side of the scorecard?
    I was not there to keep score. But I would say they brought it on themselves.
    You reap what you sow.
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:07

Could you give me the names of the slaves of Moses ?

Or can you point me to the passage about slaves of Moses please ?
    Num 31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

moses liked his slaves, especially if they were young virgin girls. boo-yah!
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:081 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Let's just stick to "slavery". This is the issue I have raised with you. Do you think slavery is an abomination?

I would rather be specific and appreciate the nuances of the problem.

I would rather be realistic and acknowledge that as much as my modern humanistic revulsion is at the very word "SLAVERY" I would rather be mature intellectually about it. This includes the realization that "slavery" has a number of different manifestations.

I think some are far worse than others. And I have no vested interest just to have a knee jerk prejudice of accusing God of condoning slavery in its more evil manifestations.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:08
    working off a debt is not the same as being owned property of another person. the hebrews had debt servitude to other hebrews, but those captured in their barbaric rampage across the middle east were enslaved.
    Where is your reference ?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    ...I would say they brought it on themselves.
    So? Are you suggesting that the Muslim civilian victims of the Crusades were victims of Muslim military forces or victims of Christian military forces? Just be clear.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:10
    I would rather be specific and appreciate the nuances of the problem.

I would rather be [b]realistic
    and acknowledge that as much as my modern humanistic revulsion is at the very word "SLAVERY" I would rather be mature intellectually about it. This includes the realization that "slavery" has a number of different manifestations.[/b]
    Do you think slavery is an abomination - "realistically" and "intellectually" - yes or no?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:11
    Num 31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

moses liked his slaves, especially if they were young virgin girls. boo-yah!
    Where does it say they were kept alive as slaves?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 04:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    So? Are you suggesting that the Muslim civilian victims of the Crusades were victims of Muslim military forces or victims of Christian military forces? Just be clear.
    I said I was not there to keep score and neither was you. I was only giving
    a general principle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree