1. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 02:39
    In a prayer to the Most Holy Theotokos, we can read the lines:

I sing of thy grace, O Sovereign Lady, and I pray thee to grace my mind. Teach me to step aright in the way of Christ's commandments. Strengthen me to keep awake in song, and drive away the sleep of despondency. O Bride of God, by thy prayers release me, bound with the bonds of sin. Guard me by night and by day, and deliver me from foes that defeat me. O bearer of God the Life-giver, enliven me who am deadened by passions...

In many of these classical prayers, there are references to people being deadened by passions.

This stands in stark contrast with many of us moderns who view passion as a positive thing. It implies some profound expression of the self. However, much of our passions are not like this at all but rather represent a connection with a powerful, emotional force that rests within us.

We certainly shouldn't be dead to our emotions, but what is logical about being allowed to be controlled by these emotions and passions? Nothing.

Indeed, much of these celebrated passions, I would contend, may even go back to the erotic and selfish desires within us and are not actually positive expressions, and it is all of us who are deadened by passions and not actually enlivened by them.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 02:55
    A neighborhood cat got laid and she is like queen of the world now.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 03:15
    Originally posted by @philokalia

[quote]I sing of thy grace, O Sovereign Lady, and I pray thee to grace my mind. Teach me to step aright in the way of Christ's commandments. Strengthen me to keep awake in song, and drive away the sleep of despondency. O Bride of God, by thy prayers release me, bound with the bonds of sin. ...[text shortened]... xpressions, and it is all of us who are deadened by passions and not actually enlivened by them.
    Interesting observation. Paul advises us to walk in the Spirit so we yield the fruit of the Spirit, and none of the Spirit’s fruit could be mistaken for what we think of passion today.

Is that prayer from the Bible? If so, which book and chapter?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 03:53
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Interesting observation. Paul advises us to walk in the Spirit so we yield the fruit of the Spirit, and none of the Spirit’s fruit could be mistaken for what we think of passion today.

Is that prayer from the Bible? If so, which book and chapter?
    “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”

(Galatians 5:22-23)

Many of the fruits would seem to be the opposite of what we normally think of as passion.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 10:441 edit
    Indeed, much of these celebrated passions, I would contend, may even go back to the erotic and selfish desires within us and are not actually positive expressions, and it is all of us who are deadened by passions and not actually enlivened by them.
    Evolutionally, this type of "dead" person gets selected out. 😛

From this standpoint, you are dead wrong; erotic passion literally enlivened all of us.

Those types of Puritan attitudes are overcompensation caused by regret at the occasional losses of control. It is cutting off the leg because you kicked someone with it once, not caring that without it, you can no longer walk.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 10:51

[quote]I sing of thy grace, O Sovereign Lady, and I pray thee to grace my mind. Teach me to step aright in the way of Christ's commandments. Strengthen me to keep awake in song, and drive away the sleep of despondency. O Bride of God, by thy prayers release me, bound with the bonds of sin. ...[text shortened]... xpressions, and it is all of us who are deadened by passions and not actually enlivened by them.
    Our passions free us to be individuals.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 14:43

Too many things are wrong [contrary to the bible] in that post.
    If I were you I would exit that church immediately.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 14:50
    "We must act out passion before we can feel it."

Jean-Paul Sartre
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Some passions are sinful, not all passions are. I think we may well be 'deadened' by sinful passions.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 19:36
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Some passions are sinful, not all passions are. I think we may well be 'deadened' by sinful passions.
    What are some passions that are not sinful, in your view?
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 19:42
    Originally posted by @apathist
    A neighborhood cat got laid and she is like queen of the world now.
    Gold. Str8 up
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 19:43
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Evolutionally, this type of "dead" person gets selected out. 😛

From this standpoint, you are dead wrong; erotic passion literally enlivened all of us.

Those types of Puritan attitudes are overcompensation caused by regret at the occasional losses of control. It is cutting off the leg because you kicked someone with it once, not caring that without it, you can no longer walk.
    Tantra you say?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 19:47
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Mmmm

Yes, go on...
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 19:48
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Too many things are wrong [contrary to the bible] in that post.
    If I were you I would exit that church immediately.
    Humour Is the way

Lmfao
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 19:49
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    "We must act out passion before we can feel it."

Jean-Paul Sartre
    You got any original quotes?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree