1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 02:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    The Bible is full of men who sinned, in fact, everyone who lived but Jesus.

Jesus is without spot or blemish and never killed anyone.

Now using your own moral gauge, where do you rate Jesus and Mohammad?
    From the mythology and folklore that has been handed down, then Jesus is a more attractive figure. But this adds nothing convincing to your claim that "God" has revealed Himself to you.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 02:16
    Does one have to subscribe to a particular supernatural ideology to evaluate their moral fiber?
    Well I've heard plenty of arguments from Christians about the "morality" of OT genocide and their 'torturer God's' "perfect justice". It's completely inseparable from their "supernatural ideology", and I don't think it leaves their moral compass intact.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 03:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I've heard plenty of arguments from Christians about the "morality" of OT genocide and their 'torturer God's' "perfect justice". It's completely inseparable from their "supernatural ideology", and I don't think it leaves their moral compass intact.
    All of our moral compasses are skewed, which is why we all need Christ.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 03:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    From the mythology and folklore that has been handed down, then Jesus is a more attractive figure. But this adds nothing convincing to your claim that "God" has revealed Himself to you.
    All I can do is point to Christ as being God inspired.

That is for you to judge, but thanks for at least conceding the Christ is morally superior to that of Mohammad, at least, according to what records we have of them both.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 04:17
    All of our moral compasses are skewed, which is why we all need Christ.
    If you only act in a morally sound way because of what it says in some book, then I welcome your morally sound behaviour regardless.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 04:37
    thanks for at least conceding the Christ is morally superior to that of Mohammad, at least, according to what records we have of them both.
    Well, he is a more appealing figure in so far as he was portrayed by those seeking to create a cult-of-personality breakaway religion in the centuries after his death. He wrote nothing himself and the only writings we do have were written by people who thought he was a divine being and who ~ through the written word ~ controlled every single detail of his portrayal. So, whether you attach the label "morally superior" to such a figure of literature is all a bit moot, and does not make the claim that he was a divine being any more convincing.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 07:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    So what? I'm not a religionist. I am talking about your beliefs/superstitions (call them whichever you prefer). I don't believe "God" has revealed Himself to you or to my Muslim neighbour. So your popularity-contest approach doesn't amount to much. I judge myself on moral standards that are not rooted in the supernatural.
    So ..............is it amoral to keep animal's cruelly in cages and pens and fatten them up for the slaughter.

What do your moral standards say about the suffering inflicted on billions of animals by the poultry and cattle and all livestock industries.

Do you simply turn a blind eye to all that immoral stuff because your lusty tongue wants to taste flesh.

Such a low bar set for your morality sir.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 11:491 edit
    Originally posted by Dasa
    So ..............is it amoral to keep animal's cruelly in cages and pens and fatten them up for the slaughter.

What do your moral standards say about the suffering inflicted on billions of animals by the poultry and cattle and all livestock industries.

Do you simply turn a blind eye to all that immoral stuff because your lusty tongue wants to taste flesh.

Such a low bar set for your morality sir.
    I oppose unnecessary and excessive suffering inflicted on the animals that become our food. But I am not a vegetarian.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 11:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    The Old Testament was a time of trial and error. You should not expect everything to be perfect back then. In fact, we are still going through a trial and error period today.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 12:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Old Testament was a time of trial and error. You should not expect everything to be perfect back then. In fact, we are still going through a trial and error period today.
    Your God figure needed a "time of trial and error"?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 12:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your God figure needed a "time of trial and error"?
    You have poor comprehension sometimes. It is people that have always needed the trial and error time. 😏
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 12:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    So what? I'm not a religionist. I am talking about your beliefs/superstitions (call them whichever you prefer). I don't believe "God" has revealed Himself to you or to my Muslim neighbour. So your popularity-contest approach doesn't amount to much. I judge myself on moral standards that are not rooted in the supernatural.
    How convenient.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 13:12
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How convenient.
    "Convenient"? How so?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 13:141 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You have poor comprehension sometimes. It is people that have always needed the trial and error time. 😏
    You said "The Old Testament was a time of trial and error". Is not ~ in your view ~ the Old Testament the "word" of your God figure?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 23:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Convenient"? How so?
    Presumably you have access to a dictionary if the word is too big for you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree