1. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 18:13
    Originally posted by telerion
    Excuse me. Religion does not clash with science. Science clashes with Jesus.
    It all depends on your view of the world. I could argue that science clashes with many religions - including the one with Jesus. But I could also argue that if religion clashes drastically with what is "proven" or what makes more sense to me then religion is wrong.
  2. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 18:18
    Gravity or anti-gravity?: Evidence of widespread controversy in the scientific community about gravity.
    Yes, there are disagreements within the scientific community about gravity. But there are also disagreements within religions.
  3. Milky way
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 18:191 edit
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    It all depends on your view of the world. I could argue that science clashes with many religions - including the one with Jesus. But I could also argue that if religion clashes drastically with what is "proven" or what makes more sense to me then religion is wrong.
    Some interesting quotes;

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." (Albert Einstein) "

"Science and religion are two windows that people look through,
    trying to understand the big universe outside, trying to understand
    why we are here. The two windows give different views, but both look
    out at the same universe. Both views are one-sided, neither is
    complete. Both leave out essential features of the real world. And
    both are worthy of respect." ( Physicist Freeman Dyson)
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 18:23
    Nothing depends. Either, like me, you will live eternally with Jesus, or you will burn in Hell with your "Science" forever and ever and ever Amen, which is all you really deserve for loving darkness and boobies so much.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 18:23
    Yes, there are disagreements within the scientific community about gravity. But there are also disagreements within religions.
    There is no disagreement among True Xians.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 18:26
    Originally posted by Silver Slayer
    Some interesting quotes;

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." (Albert Einstein) "

"Science and religion are two windows that people look through,
    trying to understand the big universe outside, trying to understand
    why we are here. The two windows give different views, but both look
    out at the same uni ...[text shortened]... d. And
    both are worthy of respect." ( Physicist Freeman Dyson)
    For those who are interested in the relationship between Faith and Reason, they can read "Fides et Ratio", "Faith and Reason", an Encyclical written by John Paul II.

http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0216/_INDEX.HTM
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 18:30
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    For those who are interested in the relationship between Faith and Reason, they can read "Fides et Ratio", "Faith and Reason", an Encyclical written by John Paul II.

http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0216/_INDEX.HTM
    I read a hefty portion of it once. I remember it was very long, and very much of the following form:

Faith and Reason are not incompatible . . .
    Faith and Reason are not incompatible . . .
    They go together . . .
    They are not incompatible . . .
    Some say they conflict, but they do not . . .

Unfortunately, JP2 must not have learned that you need to flesh out an argument with more than poetry.
  8. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 18:31
    Nothing depends. Either, like me, you will live eternally with Jesus, or you will burn in Hell with your "Science" forever and ever and ever Amen, which is all you really deserve for loving darkness and boobies so much.
    I am kind, honest, I respect other's beliefs, I believe the world is based on rules that are explained through science. If your God sends these types of people to hell just for not believing in Jesus then I want no part of Christainity.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 18:321 edit
    I am kind, honest, I respect other's beliefs, I believe the world is based on rules that are explained through science. If your God sends these types of people to hell just for not believing in Jesus then I want no part of Christainity.
    Do not blame God because you like darkness and boobies so much.
  10. Milky way
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 19:07
    Here is another quote for you. It's from Fyodor Dostoyevsky, i don't have a clue who he is but the quote should appeal to tree huggers and sane people!;

Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 19:08
    Originally posted by Silver Slayer
    Here is another quote for you. It's from Fyodor Dostoyevsky, i don't have a clue who he is but the quote should appeal to tree huggers and sane people!;

Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.
    Hmmm... On the topic of love - I think 1 Corinthians 13 has some profound words.
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 19:091 edit
    How far are you gonna take this one, Tel? *wink, wink*
  13. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 19:25
    If I understand you correctly, and I like to think I do...how do you reconcile the fact that GOD himself gave me this desire for darkness and boobies, much less that fact that HE created the BOOBIES and the DARKNESS in the first place? Is it all Adam's fault or Satan's work?
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 19:30
    Originally posted by David C
    If I understand you correctly, and I like to think I do...how do you reconcile the fact that GOD himself gave me this desire for darkness and boobies, much less that fact that HE created the BOOBIES and the DARKNESS in the first place? Is it all Adam's fault or Satan's work?
    God gave you a desire for shade and a mother's milk. You have perverted it with your wicked nature.

As for why God made darkness and boobies a possibility in the first place, it is probably because he likes darkness and boobies too. He just doesn't like when you like darkness and boobies.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 19:30
    Originally posted by Halitose
    How far are you gonna take this one, Tel? *wink, wink*
    Finals just ended and I haven't had lunch yet. I'll come around soon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree