Who Owns Truth Anyway ?

Who Owns Truth Anyway ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
20 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
You believe the Bible is divinely inspired.
yes I do and no I will not be proffering any evidence.

F

Moves
20 Apr 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
It is well known I believe in the inspiration of scripture.
Then, as you yourself have conceded, the burden of proof is yours.

rc

Moves
20 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
but i am not contesting anything so there is no burden of proof. If i was then yes there would be, but I am not.

rc

Moves
20 Apr 17
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
You believe the Bible was written by men for political purposes. Where is your proof?

F

Moves
20 Apr 17

You believe the Bible was written by men for political purposes. Where is your proof?
I am unaware of anyone who disputes the fact that the Bible was written by men; it is you who has made the claim that it was inspired by a supernatural being. All religions ~ including Judaism, Islam and Christianity, and others too ~ serve a purpose as frameworks for social and moral order, and their scriptures lay out the rules and folklore that support these cultural and religious arrangements; again, I am unaware of anyone who disputes this.

rc

Moves
20 Apr 17
5 edits

Originally posted by FMF
I am unaware of anyone who disputes the fact that the Bible was written by men; it is you who has made the claim that it was inspired by a supernatural being. All religions ~ including Judaism, Islam and Christianity, and others too ~ serve a purpose as frameworks for social and moral order, and their scriptures lay out the rules and folklore that support these cultural and religious arrangements; again, I am unaware of anyone who disputes this.
I am asking you to provide a burden of proof that it was written for political purposes. This is your claim is it not?

All religions ~ including Judaism, Islam and Christianity, and others too ~ serve a purpose as frameworks for social and moral order, and their scriptures lay out the rules and folklore that support these cultural and religious arrangements

Is this your proof?

What are we to make of the FACT that Christ himself would not become embroiled in political struggles and stated that he and his followers were 'no part of the world' including the worlds political institutions. What are we to make of the historical fact that NO first century Christian held political office or joined the army? see Gibbons.

You do realise that these facts make an absolute mockery of your claim that the Bible was written for political purposes and may infact refute it outright.

For some strange reason you don't seem so comfortable when you are asked to provide a burden of proof for your claims, do you.

F

Moves
20 Apr 17

I am asking you to provide a burden of proof that it was written for political purposes. This is your claim is it not?

All religions ~ including Judaism, Islam and Christianity, and others too ~ serve a purpose as frameworks for social and moral order, and their scriptures lay out the rules and folklore that support these cultural and religious ...[text shortened]... n't seem so comfortable when you are asked to provide a burden of proof for your claims, do you.
Well the Bible lays out rules that underpin a particular social and moral order. If you don't think the purpose of the Bible is to establish a framework for social and moral order by way of a set of rules and beliefs, then you should just come out and say so.

rc

Moves
20 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Well the Bible lays out rules that underpin a particular social and moral order. If you don't think the purpose of the Bible is to establish a framework for social and moral order by way of a set of rules and beliefs, then you should just come out and say so.
I am asking you provide proof that it was written for political purposes, nothing you have said even addresses that. If you cannot get the question correct what hope is there for you to answer correctly. Either that or you have rather broad view of what constitutes political purposes.

F

Moves
20 Apr 17

I am asking you provide proof that it was written for political purposes, nothing you have said even addresses that. If you cannot get the question correct what hope is there for you to answer correctly.
The setting of rules, power, authority, punishment, order, laws, a sanctioned history and legacy, in order to regulate individuals within a society etc. This is quite clearly what the Bible is about. And it's indisputably the realm of small p politics.

rc

Moves
20 Apr 17
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
The setting of rules, power, authority, punishment, order, laws, a sanctioned history and legacy, in order to regulate individuals within a society etc. This is quite clearly what the Bible is about. And it's indisputably the realm of small p politics.
I see, therefore when I set rules regarding my household that all children should be in bed by eight o'Clock I am engaging in politics by seeking to exercise my authority as their father and regulate their behaviour. Not only that anyone who seeks to regulate behaviour or exercise their authority in anyway is engaging in a political purpose. Is that correct? A behavioural therapist would be infact if we take your definition forward a politician.

rc

Moves
20 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Lets ask you about Christs statement that he and his followers were to be 'no part of the world' or its political institutions and did not hold any civil or political office. How are we to reconcile this with your claim that the Bible was written for political purposes because clearly it doesn't make any sense.

F

Moves
20 Apr 17

I see, therefore when I set rules regarding my household that all children should be in bed by eight o'Clock I am engaging in politics by seeking to exrecise my authority and regulate their behaviour. Not only that anyone who seeks to regulate behaviour in anyway is engaging in a political purpose. Is that correct? a behavioural therapist would be infact if we take your definition forward a politician.
The Bible, OT and NT, set rules for the Hebrew people - the nation of Israel - and then for Christendom. I believe this was in order to establish a specific social and moral order and that this was recorded and defined by the Bible. I don't think it's controversial to claim that this was the Bible's purpose. If there is a particular post of mine - that you can quote verbatim - where I used the expression "political purpose" in a way that has confused you, then copy paste it here.

F

Moves
20 Apr 17

How are we to reconcile this with your claim that the Bible was written for political purposes because clearly it doesn't make any sense.
If you don't think the setting of a system of laws and punishments to regulate and keep order in society is part of the political domain, then so be it.

rc

Moves
20 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
The Bible, OT and NT, set rules for the Hebrew people - the nation of Israel - and then for Christendom. I believe this was in order to establish a specific social and moral order and that this was recorded and defined by the Bible. I don't think it's controversial to claim that this was the Bible's purpose. If there is a particular post of mine - that you can q ...[text shortened]... used the expression "political purpose" in a way that has confused you, then copy paste it here.
Whether you think it controversial or not is neither here nor there and your entire argument seems to hinge on the broadest definition of political purpose that I have ever heard. NGO charities like Bernardo's who help families and children would be considered a political entity under such a broad umbrella, Are you really asking us to believe that?

rc

Moves
20 Apr 17

Originally posted by FMF
If you don't think the setting of a system of laws and punishments to regulate and keep order in society is part of the political domain, then so be it.
I am asking you about Christ statement and the fact that no first century Christian held public office and how we are to reconcile this to your claim that the Bible was written for political purposes. it simply does not make any sense, sorry and nothing you have said seems able to reconcile it.