1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 00:50
    Originally posted by menace71
    The Historical Jesus who (is) was he?

My assertion is that He was 100% Human and 100% God.
    Of course I take my account from the biblical record.

John 1:1 In the beginning the Word was with God and the word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, f ...[text shortened]... of Christianity starts with a mis-understanding of who Christ is and the true nature of Christ.
    why do you stop there , why not quote John 1:18, the very same chapter,

John 1:18 (American Standard Version)

No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 01:26

Then I would like this thread better as, "What do you rely on for your biography of Jesus, and why?
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 01:405 edits
    Theanthropos God Man LOL from the Greek combining man & god. Karoly what does Christ want then? If not worship from us? How would you(anyone) know? The bible is in my estimation the best way to know.

Manny
    Based on His teachings, Jesus wanted people to become become righteous, i.e., become one with God, follow the will of God, not continue to commit sin, etc. He spoke of these things many times and in many ways.

Unfortunately most if not all of Christianity has chosen to replace the religion OF Jesus with a religion ABOUT Jesus. Hence Gandhi's observation.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 02:21

John 1:1 In the beginning the Word was with God and the word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, f ...[text shortened]... of Christianity starts with a mis-understanding of who Christ is and the true nature of Christ.
    "The Historical Jesus who (is) was he?"

The Christ.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 02:27
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Based on His teachings, Jesus wanted people to become become righteous, i.e., become one with God, follow the will of God, not continue to commit sin, etc. He spoke of these things many times and in many ways.

Unfortunately most if not all of Christianity has chosen to replace the religion Of Jesus with a religion ABOUT Jesus. Hence Gandhi's observation.
    Did you quit sinning yet? Or know anyone who has?

"Jesus wanted people to become become righteous,.."

No one becomes righteous.

One is made righteous.
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 03:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why do you stop there , why not quote John 1:18, the very same chapter,

John 1:18 (American Standard Version)

No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
    He hath declared him as Jesus made God known and what God's plan was for man I see no issues with this.

Manny
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 04:16
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Why is it so hard for people to get along? I see it all the time- people who should be friends and helping eachother often become enemies and end up blaming eachother for their problems. Very un-Jesus like, if you ask me.

As Gandhi said:
    “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”[/b]
    Yes, its seems more important for some to aquire the "christianity label" so that they may be saved when they get to the pearly gates, rather than making good works their primary goal.

What looks good on the outside doesn't always reflect goodness on the inside.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 04:26
    Theanthropos God Man LOL from the Greek combining man & god. Karoly what does Christ want then? If not worship from us? How would you(anyone) know? The bible is in my estimation the best way to know.

Manny
    The spirit of Jesus lives on and his message can be intuited by those that trust their intuition.
    I think christ wants us to follow his example ahead of him wanting to be worshipped. (I'm not poo-pooing worship, I just think that practical, grass roots goood works, (often unseen by others), is more important than worship. )

Of course we are all different stages with our understanding/learning and depending on where we are at, we should act accordingly to what we think is right for each situation. (For some, they need to develop a bit more devotion to put things into a clearer context, and in those cases, devotion/worship may be the christians primary goal. For some their good works may be being wasted as they may be directing their efforts at lost/wasted causes. But for the most part, good works is more important than worship, imo)
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 09:53
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    "100% human and 100% God".

I'm not the best mathematician, but that dont add up.
    Could you rephrase that part?
    lol
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 09:59
    Achilles also performed miracles, albeit of a more martial variety than Jesus. And he was begotten by a god too. Plus, I bet he would have totally creamed Jesus in a fight.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 12:09
    He hath declared him as Jesus made God known and what God's plan was for man I see no issues with this.

Manny
    with the mere fact that it states in the same chapter of your translation that Jesus is
    God and then, no one has seen God at any time, ummmm, didn't plenty of people see
    Jesus or is your translation lacking in integrity somehow.
  12. St. Peter's
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 12:19
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Achilles also performed miracles, albeit of a more martial variety than Jesus. And he was begotten by a god too. Plus, I bet he would have totally creamed Jesus in a fight.
    yes but three days later jesus would be just fine again
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 21:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    with the mere fact that it states in the same chapter of your translation that Jesus is
    God and then, no one has seen God at any time, ummmm, didn't plenty of people see
    Jesus or is your translation lacking in integrity somehow.
    You know my friend there seems to be a real lack of just plain ole commen sense missing here with some of our friends. They bounce around from scripture to scripture that kinda supports what they think it's saying but then don't read the rest of the same scripture or any other scriptures that totally contradict whet they think a couple scriptures are saying.
    As the Bible itself explains that they are still drinking "milk" or simple things and have not progressed to solid food or the real truths. The Bible made it clear that the light of knowledge would get "brighter and brighter" but it seems they are all still stuck in very basic knowledge and old teachings that have been around for 100's of years and still have not corrected the paganistic beliefs of old.
    We show them the meat of truth but they scoff and laugh it off and still go back to the same mistakes. What a waist especially since the truth can be had by all.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 21:34
    Originally posted by galveston75
    You know my friend there seems to be a real lack of just plain ole commen sense missing here with some of our friends. They bounce around from scripture to scripture that kinda supports what they think it's saying but then don't read the rest of the same scripture or any other scriptures that totally contradict whet they think a couple scriptures are say ...[text shortened]... go back to the same mistakes. What a waist especially since the truth can be had by all.
    Good grief!
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Apr '11 22:01
    Originally posted by Doward
    yes but three days later jesus would be just fine again
    Is this a joke? I dont see no smiley...

(P'haps my sense of humour is a bit retarded)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree