1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 02:53
    Originally posted by MythicalSkippy
    I'd be happy to.
    Mythical Skippy. Zounds! Familiar ring to it.
  2. Joined
    27 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 02:59
    Originally posted by David C
    Mythical Skippy. Zounds! Familiar ring to it.
    I apologize in advance for appearing daft... Why do you say it sounds familiar? Do we know each other?
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 03:06
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Prove it.
    Why should God have to prove Himself to you?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 03:09
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Why do you think ivanhoe is God?
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 03:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Why do you think ivanhoe is God?
    Don't be ignorant.
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 03:371 edit
    I apologize in advance for appearing daft... Why do you say it sounds familiar? Do we know each other?
    No, I'm sure we don't...please do carry on. Don't mind me.

edit: You don't appear daft at all, despite your humourous moniker.
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 03:49
    Why shouldn't God have to prove himself to me?
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 03:53
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I did.
    No you didn't. It was meeeeeeeee!!!!!
  9. Cosmos
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 05:14
    Originally posted by gharguth
    How did the bible come into existance?????
    Through lots of misguided, ignorant people.
  10. Joined
    08 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 06:401 edit
    Paul was a man chosen by God .... His insights into the nature and
    mind of God are transformational if you allow them to be. His instructions to the early churches still ring true to us today. But Paul was writing letters, not the Bible.
    Your own words tell me that paul was inspired by the Holy Spirit to write these letters.
  11. Joined
    08 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 06:484 edits
    But Paul was writing letters, not the Bible.....Revelation is John's vision of the end times. Paul's books were primarily written as letters.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the book of Revelation also a letter writen by John to various different churches, Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea ? Pauls letters were also written to variuos churches, Romans, Corinthians, Thessalonians, philipians, Galatians, Ephesians, Hebrews. Why do consider Paul's letters unscripturual and John's letter Scripture???
  12. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 06:51
    Originally posted by gharguth
    How did the bible come into existance?????
    God Almighty chose certain people to write it infallably. It is God's own words printed in a language we can understand, so we can understand Him.
  13. Joined
    08 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 06:593 edits
    Can we glean truths from it? Yes. Was Paul writing from his heart and at the urging of the Holy Spirit? Yes. Did he write the letter to us? No.
    Do you hold the same standard for John's letter (Revelation)? Can we glean truths from it? Yes. Was John writing from his heart and at the urging of the Holy Spirit? Yes. Did he write the letter to us" Yes or No? Based on your argument, if a document is classified as a letter it is not Scripture, this should hold true for Revelation but yet you consider this letter Scripture. Could it be possible that both John and Paul were writng to the people of their time and us? Isn't this the beauty of Holy Scripture?
  14. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 08:531 edit
    If you wrote a letter to a very close friend who needed some spiritual guidance you would write it to your friend, not to an audience of millions who would read this letter for the next 2,000 years! That is my point with Paul. We need to keep in mind what he was writing and to whom. We are reading a letter intended for someone else, thousands of ye ...[text shortened]... d understanding. Does this answer your question? Do you feel I am off base in my assumption?
    i disagree. the bible was not just written for men by men, it was divinely inspired. paul was filled with the Holy Spirit. he did not know that what he was writing would be read the world over years later, but God most certainly did! he wrote those letters to a church, but God wrote them to everyone. also, often he asks his letters to be forwarded to other churches (Collosians 4:14, for example).

and Revelations is divinely inspired as is it a revelation, which is similar to a prophesy. it is, if i understand correctly, the making of divine information known, while phophesy is seeing the future. (again, that definition is my understanding of it and you really are best to look it up for yourself...) but basically Revelations is a vision which John had that came directly from God. thus, we cannot underestimate the importance of this book. while Paul's letters were inspired, this came from God.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 08:542 edits
    Because there is an entirely higher possibility that men wrote it. Men that weren't inspired by divinity. Think about it RB, you believe in the existence of god, because when you were young, you read the bible. It was probably a number of years later when you first started truly thinking about what that meant, but by then you had already committed a belief in god to memory. It was habitual and you can't say that you knew god when first you read the bible, so there's no excuse for it. Plain and simply, you believe the bible to be the work of god because it says it is, nothing more. Your entire faith is founded on an inductive, self-confirming act which happened in your adolescence and you have spent the rest of your life trying to justify (and poorly).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree