1. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 11:011 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    As far as the violence goes, you can blame it on the Bible if you like...
    john 13:35 read "by this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another"

not really the words of the book meant to inspire/cause violence
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 11:04
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Hahahahaha .... Hahahahahhaaaaaaaaargh ...... *cough*
    Choking ivanhoe? I imagine the concept of men being responsible is a little hard for you to swallow, but it's much better on the stomach.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 11:06
    Originally posted by genius
    are you saying that God should look for you, not you for He?

garguth, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_infalibility and i know very little about revelation and prophesy. to find out more i suggest you look them both up on wiki. although wiki, like me, is not infallible 😉
    No, that would be accepting the possibility of existence, thus giving such a concept status I don't think it should have. In simple terms, I see no reason to believe in either god's existence, or in his non-existence, it amazes me that people bother which such a thing.
  4. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 11:12
    Originally posted by Starrman
    No, that would be accepting the possibility of existence, thus giving such a concept status I don't think it should have. In simple terms, I see no reason to believe in either god's existence, or in his non-existence, it amazes me that people bother which such a thing.
    because we are here? because some people think that humans are just to carefully constructed to be solely the product of evolution, beacuse God has sought them out (read "the heavenly man" by brother yun for a modern day example of this, look at Paul in Acts for an older example), and a whole host of other reasons...
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 12:10
    because we are here? because some people think that humans are just to carefully constructed to be solely the product of evolution, beacuse God has sought them out (read "the heavenly man" by brother yun for a modern day example of this, look at Paul in Acts for an older example), and a whole host of other reasons...
    None of which are compelling and some of which have perfectly reasonable answers which do not require the presence of a supernatural being.
  6. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 13:16
    Originally posted by Starrman
    None of which are compelling and some of which have perfectly reasonable answers which do not require the presence of a supernatural being.
    but these people do not see these "answers" as perfectly reasonable. personally, i do not know if evolution is true or not, and really i do not care. However, i beleive that evolution in itself does not explain how humans got here. how we are so well adapted to everything. it may have taken place, but i beleive that if it did it took place under the watchful eye of God.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 13:22
    but these people do not see these "answers" as perfectly reasonable. personally, i do not know if evolution is true or not, and really i do not care. However, i beleive that evolution in itself does not explain how humans got here. how we are so well adapted to everything. it may have taken place, but i beleive that if it did it took place under the watchful eye of God.
    The Theory of Evolution explains a large part of the history of life. It doesnt explain the origin of life nor the origion of the Universe.
    No religion explains them either but rather attempts to hide the question in the unknowable.
  8. London
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 13:292 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The Theory of Evolution explains a large part of the history of life. It doesnt explain the origin of life nor the origion of the Universe.
    No religion explains them either but rather attempts to hide the question in the unknowable.
    Determining it's unknowable is not hiding the question - it's showing that the question cannot be answered.

And if you think it's only religion that does it, how about this question - what would your reading be if you tried to measure the mass of a body travelling at twice the speed of light?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 13:34
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Determining it's unkowable is not hiding the question - it's showing that the question cannot be answered.

And if you think it's only religion that does it, how about this question - what would your reading be if you tried to measure the mass of a body travelling at twice the speed of light?
    what would your reading be if you tried to measure the mass of a body travelling at twice the speed of light?
    I know the answer to that one: half as fast as it takes for my wife to spend my paychecks!
  10. London
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 13:40
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]what would your reading be if you tried to measure the mass of a body travelling at twice the speed of light?
    I know the answer to that one: half as fast as it takes for my wife to spend my paychecks![/b]
    I'm reminded of the "bushel of wind" dialogue from Job. 😀
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 14:29
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Determining it's unknowable is not hiding the question - it's showing that the question cannot be answered.

The implication of genius' statement was that God answered the question, not that he had shown it to be unknowable.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 17:08
    john 13:35 read "by this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another"

not really the words of the book meant to inspire/cause violence
    True, but men will twist anything around to serve their own pursuits. Just look at the Crusades. Until this day Christians are referred to as Crusaders. How many centuries has it been since the Crusades? This sin has left a mark on Christiandome and to its shame. I would argue that if the people who followed the Crusades knew scripture and subsequently knew God, they would not have been dupped into such a faulty mission.
  13. Joined
    08 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 00:56
    True, but men will twist anything around to serve their own pursuits. Just look at the Crusades. Until this day Christians are referred to as Crusaders. How many centuries has it been since the Crusades? This sin has left a mark on Christiandome and to its shame. I would argue that if the people who followed the Crusades knew scripture and subsequently knew God, they would not have been dupped into such a faulty mission.
    I think the Catholic church wrote the bible!!!
  14. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 07:56
    yes, but which do you think is to blame? the bible, or humans?
  15. Joined
    08 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 22:10
    yes, but which do you think is to blame? the bible, or humans?
    Humans era to blame you genious or should we call you ienstien???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree