1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 03:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Romans 13: "Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God". This means, presumably, that whoever wins the U.S. election is part of "the arrangement of God". Or do you believe Paul was incorrect?
    Not that you'll read any of this but here ya go.....

"Since humans rejected Jehovah’s oversight, they had to set up their own forms of government. The apostle Paul, writing to fellow believers in Rome, spoke of such human governments as “the superior authorities.” In Paul’s day, the superior authorities were primarily the government of Rome under Emperor Nero, who ruled from 54-68 C.E. Paul said that such superior authorities “stand placed in their relative positions by God.” (Read Romans 13:1, 2.) Does that mean that Paul was advocating human rule as superior to God’s way of governing? By no means. Rather, he was simply saying that as long as Jehovah allows human rulership to exist, Christians should respect “the arrangement of God” and accept such rulers."

"God has allowed various rulerships of men to come and go, one of their mighty kings, after having had demonstrated, in his own experience, the fact of Jehovah’s sovereignty, was moved to say: “His rulership is a rulership to time indefinite and his kingdom is for generation after generation. And all the inhabitants of the earth are being considered as merely nothing, and he is doing according to his own will among the army of the heavens and the inhabitants of the earth. And there exists no one that can check his hand or that can say to him, ‘What have you been doing?’”—Da 4:34, 35.
    Accordingly, as long as it is God’s will to permit man-made governments to rule, the apostle Paul’s injunction to Christians will apply: “Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God.” The apostle then goes on to point out that when such governments act to punish one who does what is bad, the ‘superior authority’ or ruler (even though not a faithful worshiper of God) is acting indirectly as a minister of God in this particular capacity, expressing wrath upon the one practicing what is bad.—Ro 13:1-6.
    As to such authorities’ being “placed in their relative positions by God,” the Scriptures indicate that this does not mean that God formed these governments or that he backs them up. Rather, he has maneuvered them to suit his good purpose, with relation to his will concerning his servants in the earth. Moses said: “When the Most High gave the nations an inheritance, when he parted the sons of Adam from one another, he proceeded to fix the boundary of the peoples with regard for the number of the sons of Israel.”—De 32:8."
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 03:42
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Not that you'll read any of this but here ya go.....

"Since humans rejected Jehovah’s oversight, they had to set up their own forms of government. The apostle Paul, writing to fellow believers in Rome, spoke of such human governments as “the superior authorities.” In Paul’s day, the superior authorities were primarily the government of Rome under Empe ...[text shortened]... ix the boundary of the peoples with regard for the number of the sons of Israel.”—De 32:8."
    If you subscribe to the content of your copy paste, why did you ask "Does anyone here seriously think God is involved [in the ongoing U.S. election]?" Paul said of governments... "the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God". Whether it be Romney or Obama that wins, according to your own copy paste "Christians should respect 'the arrangement of God' and accept such rulers." Having read what Paul said [and according to your perception of God, not mine] do you seriously think God is NOT involved in the ongoing U.S. election? Perhaps you think Paul is mistaken?
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 03:514 edits
    Does anyone here seriously think God is involved? He clearly says in the Bible that ALL governments will be destroyed in the future by his son, so why would he take sides with any of them?
    I seriously think God is involved in everything of revelance. And an election involving who is ruler of a powerful nation is definitely something of relevance.

One need only look at recorded history to be 100% certain that Obama stands completely against many crucial things of God. However, that doesn't mean God would thwart Obama's bid for re-election; perhaps it is in His master plan that Obama be in control for another 4 years. It's not for us to know, but, once the election is settled, we (believers) can rest assured that the winner is who God intended to win.

Ironically, it's Obama's (thinly veiled) aversion to the things of God, that makes him so popular among many Liberals today. This nation is moving increasingly faster in the opposite direction of God. I don't like it, but I acknowledge it and will find a way to adjust to it on some level.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 05:01
    Originally posted by sumydid
    It's not for us to know, but, once the election is settled, we (believers) can rest assured that the winner is who God intended to win.
    So when it comes to elections, you don't have free will?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 06:02
    Does anyone here seriously think God is involved? He clearly says in the Bible that ALL governments will be destroyed in the future by his son, so why would he take sides with any of them?
    I think God allowed Obama to win for some purpose just like He allows murder to happen. I can't say I understand what that purpose is however.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 07:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    Paul said (Romans 13:1-4) of governments... "the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God". Indeed, Paul asserts that governments and their authority are in accordance with "the arrangement of God". In fact, it was robbie who quoted this scripture recently.
    This means that God chose the candidate that supports abortion and gay marriage. God's views are evolving.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 08:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I think Obama looks slightly more blessed than Romney at the moment.
    It does not work that way.
    God is God, we are either on His side or we are not.
    Kelly
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 08:311 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I think Obama looks slightly more blessed than Romney at the moment.
    God's Will. Praise God. Four more years. The American people win. Great for America and our families. Thank you God. You have answered my prayers.
  9. Joined
    09 Sep '12
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 09:35
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It does not work that way.
    God is God, we are either on His side or we are not.
    Kelly
    Gods side is every side. Surely.... an all encompassing god would be multi-faceted. Or even better wouldn't give a damn about which Media wh0re america chooses between. Its probably more concerned about the fact that drones are still bombing the bejesus out of Pakistani's no matter what muppet is at the helm.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 10:07
    Originally posted by NOTGATE
    Gods side is every side. Surely.... an all encompassing god would be multi-faceted. Or even better wouldn't give a damn about which Media wh0re america chooses between. Its probably more concerned about the fact that drones are still bombing the bejesus out of Pakistani's no matter what muppet is at the helm.
    I am actually quite amazed, not only why so many people are interested in politics ( I
    watched with interest to see what people were getting out of it), but that they should
    think that God is also interested, where does it stop? If a footballer scores a goal and
    points to the sky attributing his success to and giving glory to God, is God really a part
    of that? crazy world in which we live.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 12:081 edit
    Originally posted by NOTGATE
    I'm not sure what god you are refering to, nor am I sure where you go to get
    your info about that god either. The Lord God of Heaven and Earth is the Lord
    of Lord, King of Kings our petty kingdoms are but a drop in a bucket to Him. He
    has His own agenda and if we are not following Him, well we are not.
    Kelly
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 12:12
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I'm not sure what god you are refering to, nor am I sure where you go to get
    your info about that god either. The Lord God of Heaven and Earth is the Lord
    of Lord, King of Kings our petty kingdoms are but a drop in a bucket to Him. He
    has His own agenda and if we are not following Him, well we are not.
    Kelly
    I am pretty sure that is what He said.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 12:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am actually quite amazed, not only why so many people are interested in politics ( I
    watched with interest to see what people were getting out of it), but that they should
    think that God is also interested, where does it stop? If a footballer scores a goal and
    points to the sky attributing his success to and giving glory to God, is God really a part
    of that? crazy world in which we live.
    If God is not 'interested' then how do you explain this? -

As to such authorities’ being “placed in their relative positions by God,” the Scriptures indicate that this does not mean that God formed these governments or that he backs them up. Rather, he has maneuvered them to suit his good purpose, with relation to his will concerning his servants in the earth.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 12:20
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    If God is not 'interested' then how do you explain this? -

As to such authorities’ being “placed in their relative positions by God,” the Scriptures indicate that this does not mean that God formed these governments or that he backs them up. Rather, he has maneuvered them to suit his good purpose, with relation to his will concerning his servants in the earth.
    this is simply an arrangement, as the quotation states.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 12:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this is simply an arrangement, as the quotation states.
    If God is 'maneuvering' governments to 'suit his purpose' i would say that is expressing an interest?! Or are you using a non standard definition of the word 'interest' here?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree