Why are the skeptics here?

Why are the skeptics here?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
A real scientist would've conceded he had no basis for prefering the heliocentric theory based on the available evidence. A real scientist would've admitted that the heliocentric model makes predictions that do not correspond to observations while the geocentric model does.

That's why I asked you to consult a real scientist, instead of pretending to be one.
If I asked a real scientist if it was more scientific to believe the Sun revolved around the Earth in 1600 and thus Galileo was wrong, he'd laugh in my face. Why don't you stop pretending to be a scientist?

l

London

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Here's the thread discussing torture in the Continental system and the Inquistion. http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=32073&page=1

Particulary pages 8-10. I quoted extensively from two scholarly works to show that threat of torture was 100% in the Inquistion as a confession was the only sufficient evidence available if th ...[text shortened]... inding" process in the Contintental system and under even less restraints, in the Inquistion.
I've just reread pages 8-10 - you do not present any evidence to support your claim that '100%' of the accused were 'explicitly' threatened with torture. In fact, you assert it without any supporting evidence on page 8. In those pages, all you do is demonstrate that torture was endemic on the Continent as compared to England.

l

London

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Bruno really WAS a heretic though!
Yes he was. Poor chap.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
10 Feb 06

Now it's become a feeding frenzy. The skeptics smell blood in the holy water. Lucifershammer tries vainly to fend them all off but he simply can't type fast enough. Will he succumb to their combined onslaught? Stay tuned to find out...

l

London

Moves
10 Feb 06

If I asked a real scientist if it was more scientific to believe the Sun revolved around the Earth in 1600 and thus Galileo was wrong, he'd laugh in my face. Why don't you stop pretending to be a scientist?
Come back to me after you've spoken to a real scientist. Or, if you can't be bothered, ask your WP friends here on RHP to give you their objective scientific opinion.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Feb 06

I've just reread pages 8-10 - you do not present any evidence to support your claim that '100%' of the accused were 'explicitly' threatened with torture. In fact, you assert it without any supporting evidence on page 8. In those pages, all you do is demonstrate that torture was endemic on the Continent as compared to England.
I presented the scholarly articles which stated as much. I cannot believe that you're pathetically going back on a point you already conceded. You're one of the most intellectually dishonest people I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. But I'll find internet articles proving it AGAIN.

l

London

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Now it's become a feeding frenzy. The skeptics smell blood in the holy water. Lucifershammer tries vainly to fend them all off but he simply can't type fast enough. Will he succumb to their combined onslaught? Stay tuned to find out...
I will succumb ... but to the influence of Somnus.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Feb 06

l

London

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

I presented the scholarly articles which stated as much. I cannot believe that you're pathetically going back on a point you already conceded. You're one of the most intellectually dishonest people I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. But I'll find internet articles proving it AGAIN.
I conceded that I was wrong about the Inquisition judicial processes being an improvement on [Continental] secular processes of the time - no more no less. Go re-read what I wrote.

EDIT: You're calling me "intellectually dishonest"? Pot-kettle-black.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Feb 06

Yes he was. Poor chap.
And so was Galilleo, since the Church declared that teaching heliocentric theory was heresy. It was nice of them NOT to burn him at the stake, wasn't it LH?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Feb 06

I conceded that I was wrong about [b]the Inquisition judicial processes being an improvement on [Continental] secular processes of the time - no more no less. Go re-read what I wrote.

EDIT: You're calling me "intellectually dishonest"? Pot-kettle-black.[/b]
Unbelievable. You conceded that point because I showed that the Inquistion had even less restraints on the use of torture than the Continental system! But the Continental system used threat of torture in 100% of the cases also! It was an accepted part of the "fact finding" process in both.

l

London

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

Stop being an idiot. Brahe's theories were discarded quickly by real scientists. You're relying on more fantasies from conservative RCC apologetics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolaus_Copernicus
Copernicus' system was not experimentally better than Ptolemy's model. Copernicus was aware of this and could not present any observational "proof" in his manuscript, relying instead on arguments about what would be a more complete and elegant system. From publication until about 1700, few astronomers were convinced by the Copernican system, though the book was relatively widely circulated (around 500 copies are known to still exist, which is a large number by the scientific standards of the time). Many astronomers, however, accepted some aspects of the theory at the expense of others, and his model did have a large influence on later scientists such as Galileo and Johannes Kepler, who adopted, championed and (especially in Kepler's case) sought to improve it. Galileo's observation of the phases of Venus produced the first observational evidence for Copernicus' theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tychonic_system
It can be shown through a geometric argument that the motions of the planets and the Sun relative to the Earth in the Tychonic system are equivalent to the motions in the Copernican system, and the Tychonic system has the advantage of not predicting stellar parallax, which was not observable until the 19th century.
After Tycho's death, Johannes Kepler used the observations of Tycho himself to demonstrate that the orbits of the planets are ellipses and not circles, creating the modified Copernican system that ultimately displaced both the Tychonic and Ptolemaic systems. However, the Tychonic system was very influential in the late 16h and 17th centuries

Care to try again?

EDIT: Galileo dies in 1642.

l

London

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

Unbelievable. You conceded that point because I showed that the Inquistion had even less restraints on the use of torture than the Continental system! But the Continental system used threat of torture in 100% of the cases also! It was an accepted part of the "fact finding" process in both.
You said "EXPLICIT" threat of torture in "100%" of the cases - you have not demonstrated that either for the Continental system or the Inquisition. Simply saying it 20 times does not make it true (it might in a courtroom before a jury, but it won't here) - you need to show the evidence.

Yes, I conceded the point because you showed that the Inquisition had less restraints than the Continental system - but you never actually proved your 100% claim.

EDIT: I'll make life simpler for you. Simply show me a document that's part of a standard Inquisitor manual that says something like "Blah blah blah if you refuse to blah blah you will be tortured" is mandatorily read out to all accused at the start of their trial and I'll conceed this point. There - what could be easier?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 Feb 06

Come back to me after you've spoken to a real scientist. Or, if you can't be bothered, ask your WP friends here on RHP to give you their objective scientific opinion.
The Wolfpack just hasn't been the same since bbarr died.

l

London

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
The Wolfpack just hasn't been the same since bbarr died.
Has he really passed away or is he caught under a mountain of academic work?

A serious question.