1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 11:52
    Why are things believed?

Proposed answers: not because they are true, but because

a) they seem to someone to be true, or

b) they seem to someone to explain some complex or mysterious phenonemon better than an alternative hypothesis, or

c) they seem to someone to be consistent with or logically implied by something else which seems to be true, or

d) some putative authority figure says they are true.

<>Discuss.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 12:07
    @moonbus said
    Why are things believed?

b) they seem to someone to explain some complex or mysterious phenonemon better than an alternative hypothesis, or

c) they seem to someone to be consistent with or logically implied by something else which seems to be true, or

<>Discuss.
    I think "seem" is the operative word.

The word "know" gets used incorrectly with regard to these matters.

My well-thumbed analysis is that we REALIZE that we believe in supernatural things rather than DECIDE to.

I think that ~ after all is said and done with the relevant scriptures and the doctrines ~ we believe because of a gut feeling rather than logic.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 12:111 edit
    @fmf said

My well-thumbed analysis is that we REALIZE that we believe in supernatural things rather than DECIDE to.

I think that ~ after all is said and done with the relevant scriptures and the doctrines ~ we believe because of a gut feeling rather than logic.
    I have often observed among the people I know who believe in supernatural things, that the reasons they cite for their beliefs are not the reasons which explain how they came to believe in the first place. The reasons people give later are all rationalizations, not part of the causitive process of coming to believe. By the time someone comes to realize that he believes in something supernatural, all the really interesting psychological processes have already happened and subsided below the conscious level.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 12:21
    @moonbus said
    Why are things believed?

<>Discuss.
    I think it’s complex but certainly some of your categories come into play at least to some extent. A mix of factors which changes over time as you have said in your second post.

I wonder if a misuse of Occam’s Razor could be a subtext to your points a) and b) and d)
    For examples:

The universe and creations are vastly complex and it seems impossible for mankind to determine how life started… therefore the most simplest explanation is probably correct I.e. God did it and God is mysterious his ways incomprehensible to us so that explains why we can’t figure it out. It’s kind of obvious… PLUS it is written by a “putative” authority figure in his book so that confirms it.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 12:39
    @divegeester

or e) because it gives people peace of mind in the face of mystery or fear (especially fear of death).
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 13:06
    @moonbus said
    e) because it gives people peace of mind in the face of mystery or fear (especially fear of death).
    Or it gives some people's lives meaning when they feel that the meaning they can find [on their own bat] in the exercise of their capacities and their interactions is somehow not enough for them.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 13:47
    @moonbus said
    Why are things believed?

<>Discuss.

Amend to "putative authority figure that you respect and trust"

The rest are borderline irrelevant.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 13:56
    @sh76 said

Amend to "putative authority figure that you respect and trust"

The rest are borderline irrelevant.
    A putative authority figure one dis-respects and dis-trusts -- you mean like Donald Trump or the Pope? Yes, I can see the point.

The others are not irrelevant to someone inclined to believe something for which putative authority figures are either lacking or too numerous to mention.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 14:18
    f) A set of assumptions absorbed from family, friends, preachers, teachers and neighbours [and parts of the media] when young and never really questioned or examined.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 18:04
    I wonder if @Kellyjay really does want to discuss “why things are believed” as he asserted in another thread.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 18:441 edit
    @fmf said

The people in this forum have always misused the word "realize".

realize, verb
    1. become fully aware of (something) as a fact; understand clearly.
    2. cause (something desired or anticipated) to happen.
    3. give actual or physical form to.
    4. make (money or a profit) from a transaction.

All of these mean to make (something) real. Real, as opposed to fictional. You cannot realize something that is not true.

"She realized one day that the entire government of her country were aliens from the planet Qwerty", is not a proper use of the word "realize". "Realizing" something is not the result of a "gut feeling". You may suspect or surmise something, but to come to a "realization" of something is "to become aware of it as a fact". Believing something is true is not realizing it is true. You can believe a false statement, but you cannot realize it.
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 18:562 edits
    @fmf said

We believe because of a gut feeling rather than logic.

I suggest to you it's more than a gut feeling. We believe because this feeling was given to us by a higher power. Please consider:

Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. Romans 2:14-15 NLT
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 19:44
    @fmf said
    Or it gives some people's lives meaning when they feel that the meaning they can find [on their own bat] in the exercise of their capacities and their interactions is somehow not enough for them.
    C.S. Pearce argued that people don’t seek truth; they seek certainty, freedom from doubt. Another possible motive for belief in supernatural causation.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 19:492 edits
    @fmf said
    f) A set of assumptions absorbed from family, friends, preachers, teachers and neighbours [and parts of the media] when young and never really questioned or examined.
    That is exactly the sort of belief one comes to recognize makes up the furniture of one’s mind, though one did not consciously put it there; one comes to the realization that one has this sort of belief, one doesn’t choose it. It’s what I call an implicit belief, contrasted with an explicit one. I have noticed that when you challenge people’s implicit beliefs, you get quite a different response than when you challenge their carefully deliberated explicit ones.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Aug '22 19:532 edits
    @mchill said
    We believe because of a gut feeling rather than logic.

I suggest to you it's more than a gut feeling. We believe because this feeling was given to us by a higher power. Please consider:

Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. They demonstrate that God’s law is written i ...[text shortened]... own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. Romans 2:14-15 NLT
    What you’re talking about are mores. The customs of your tribe or society. It occurred to some Hebrews and Babylonians and Greeks and others to write them down at some point in the distant past, and they were delivered to us as if from a higher power. Transcendental ventriloquism.

The question here is, how do people come to believe that? What is the psychological process, what is the operative motive? I think fmf has answered that question. We come to believe that the same way we learn a language and table manners and nursery rhymes and which side of the road to drive on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree