Why didn't their prayers save the Jews?

Why didn't their prayers save the Jews?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
10 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
So [in terms of your own religious belief] it's God's will?
Just because something happens, does it mean that it is God's will?

All I can say scripturally is that it was God's will to judge Israel more than once because of thier wickedness. I look at it as chastisment, as where those forces opposing God are trying to kill them all off at the same time. It is definately not a good place to be, and I dare say if it were not for God's continual intervention they would have ceased to be a very long time ago.

w

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
So, "God's chosen people" here refers to the Jews? Another Christian posted earlier that the Jews are not "God's chosen people" anymore because they "did not accept Jesus who is God's son as the Messiah and was actually behind his death...". Do you concur?
God brought salvation first to the Jew and then the Gentile. It is said that those Gentiles were "grafted in".

Does this mean that all Jews will go to heaven? I don't think so, rather, it simply means that God has his hand on them as a people as others are grafted in spiritually.

God made a convenant long ago with a man named Abraham and his descendents. God will not give up on them because he has an obligation to keep. God will continue to shape and mold them until they are someday reconciled back to him.

F

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by whodey
Just because something happens, does it mean that it is God's will?
Well you yourself claim that it was God's will to judge Israel more than once because of thier wickedness. Was - according to your religious perspective - allowing the Holocaust to claim 4 or 6 or 10 million members of His "Chosen People" an example of God judging Israel "because of thier wickedness"?

F

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by whodey
God made a convenant long ago with a man named Abraham and his descendents. God will not give up on them because he has an obligation to keep. God will continue to shape and mold them until they are someday reconciled back to him.
And what does this have to do with the Holocaust?

w

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Well you yourself claim that it was God's will to judge Israel more than once because of thier wickedness. Was - according to your religious perspective - allowing the Holocaust to claim 4 or 6 or 10 million members of His "Chosen People" an example of God judging Israel "because of thier wickedness"?
I never said that I knew for sure that the Holocaust was a direct judgement from God. As I said, there is God's judgement coupled with the evil forces that wish to destroy them. It is my guess that the Holocaust was the later.

w

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
And what does this have to do with the Holocaust?
No matter what evil is present to destroy them, they will survive as a people.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Why didn't the prayers of Jews save them from the Holocaust?

According to theology, what could God's purpose have been in allowing his purportedly 'Chosen people' to suffer the partially successful attempt to exterminate them in the mid-C20th?
'According to theology'. To unpack the assumptions that phrase implies, you'd need recourse to a library of books as numerous as the victims of the Holocaust.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Why didn't the prayers of Jews save them from the Holocaust?
What is the function of prayer? Do you pray?

F

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
What is the function of prayer? Do you pray?
I used to.

F

Moves
10 Mar 12

'According to theology'. To unpack the assumptions that phrase implies, you'd need recourse to a library of books as numerous as the victims of the Holocaust.
So you're not ruling out unpacking it altogether. 🙂

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
So you're not ruling out unpacking it altogether. 🙂
You might find yourself engaged in a task that never ends.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
I used to.
What was the intention of those prayers?

F

Moves
10 Mar 12

What was the intention of those prayers?
I now look back on it as a complete waste of my time so perhaps my recollection would be coloured by that. I suppose it was broadly 'meditation' of a sort, and perhaps asking for 'understanding' and 'strength' etc. etc. I think I knew it was bogus and irrelevant to me for years before I finally thought better of the pretense and stopped.

F

Moves
10 Mar 12

You might find yourself engaged in a task that never ends.
Most threads end after (on average) about 50 or 60 posts.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
I now look back on it as a complete waste of my time so perhaps my recollection would be coloured by that. I suppose it was broadly 'meditation' of a sort, and perhaps asking for 'understanding' and 'strength' etc. etc. I think I knew it was bogus and irrelevant to me for years before I finally thought better of the pretense and stopped.
Do you meditate at all now?