1. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 06:47
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Accepting his lot, Jesus cried out to God but did not ask to be spared.

So it would be true to say that Jews who face death without pleading are like Jesus. Samurai of the spirit.
    he prayed to be spared.

Mat 26:39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will."
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 07:25
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    he prayed to be spared.

Mat 26:39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will."
    My interpretation: he asked that his mental and physical suffering end, in the manner that the Father willed.

His suffering did end.

There's no petition here to save his life.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 15:581 edit
    My interpretation: he asked that his mental and physical suffering end, in the manner that the Father willed.

His suffering did end.

I've always thought that the crux of the suffering was his known soon to be seperation from the Father. If you notice, Jesus refers to God as his Father throughtout the text. The only place this does not take place is on the cross when Jesus became sin for us. At that moment, he said, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 17:25

His suffering did end.

he wasn't going through any suffering at that time. this prayer to be spared was made before the betrayal.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 18:512 edits
    such is irrelevant. in the old testament, biblegod made an eternal covenant with the descendants of isaac. if a covenant is eternal, it can't be changed, otherwise the word of god is worthless.

the new testament, jesus declared a change of the covenant, but jesus introduced a new god called the "father." this is not the god of the old testament who ...[text shortened]... ng to lead the jews away to worship foreign gods. they stayed with the god of their fathers.
    No its not irrelevant, its quite the opposite, please do not project your ignorance of
    Biblical details onto others, clearly both prophetically and historically God was forming
    a new nation which was to be spiritual Israel for the former one was abandoned
    because of its iniquity towards God and his prophets. The Abrahamic covenant as well
    as the Davidic then became the inheritance of this new spiritual nation, irrelevant???
    you have missed the entire point, strange considering its all there in the ancient text,
    but then again, so did the Israelites of old.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 18:581 edit
    he wasn't going through any suffering at that time. this prayer to be spared was made before the betrayal.
    Your statement is another complete and utter fallacy, note the account of Luke, a
    physician who adds the rather telling details,

(Luke 22:42-44) . . .“Father, if you wish, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, let,
    not my will, but yours take place.”  Then an angel from heaven appeared to him and
    strengthened him.  But getting into an agony he continued praying more earnestly;
    and his sweat became as drops of blood falling to the ground.

Clearly Christ was under enormous emotional stress. The Journal of the American
    Medical Association states “Although this is a very rare phenomenon, bloody sweat
    may occur in highly emotional states.”

wasn't suffering? oh dear oh dear, what would you call it?
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 23:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No its not irrelevant, its quite the opposite, please do not project your ignorance of
    Biblical details onto others, clearly both prophetically and historically God was forming
    a new nation which was to be spiritual Israel for the former one was abandoned
    because of its iniquity towards God and his prophets. The Abrahamic covenant as well
    as ...[text shortened]... e considering its all there in the ancient text,
    but then again, so did the Israelites of old.
    you show complete ignorance of the hebrew god and his covenant. clearly you don't understand the meaning of the term "eternal."

please look it up and educate yourself.
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 23:42
    Your statement is another complete and utter fallacy, note the account of Luke, a
    physician who adds the rather telling details,

(Luke 22:42-44) . . .“Father, if you wish, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, let,
    not my will, but yours take place.”  Then an angel from heaven appeared to him and
    strengthened him.  But getting into an agon ...[text shortened]... cur in highly emotional states.”

wasn't suffering? oh dear oh dear, what would you call it?
    you're getting hysterical. bosse stated "mental and physical suffering...," this could only refer to the event either during or directly after the torture/crucifixion. ergo, during the time of that prayer, he was not under both mental and physical suffering.

whatever pointless argument you want to make of this is completely irrelevant. what is relevant is that jesus prayed to be spared.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 23:43
    you show complete ignorance of the hebrew god and his covenant. clearly you don't understand the meaning of the term "eternal."

Just out of curiousity, do you have some background in theology?
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 01:041 edit

I think Jesus was suffering at that time. I think Jesus was suffering throughout His entire life on earth. His time in the garden was a suffering too;

Matthew 26:36 - 38 - " ... Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane ... taking Peter and the two sons of Zebedee aside, He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed.

Then He said to them, My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Remain here and watch with Me."

His sorrow of soul was so great it was even enough to cause death. How can we say He was not suffering in the garden ?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 10:254 edits

As i have stated i am not disputing that its eternal, please learn to read properly.
    Ignorance??, you were unaware even of the name of the covenant and have provided
    less details than the secret service, it is to laugh! Its not my fault God abandoned the
    iniquitous Hebrews and formed a new spiritual nation of Israel, is it.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 10:311 edit
    you're getting hysterical. bosse stated "mental and physical suffering...," this could only refer to the event either during or directly after the torture/crucifixion. ergo, during the time of that prayer, he was not under both mental and physical suffering.

whatever pointless argument you want to make of this is completely irrelevant. what is relevant is that jesus prayed to be spared.
    I am not getting emotionally involved at all, your statement, once again now lying on
    the forum floor in tatters stated that Christ did not suffer, clearly he did, as is evidenced
    by the portion of scripture that was cited, suck it up for no amount of provisos,
    amendments, back peddling or any other references will negate this, all you need to do
    is admit that you are wrong or at very least posted another inaccuracy, its no shame,
    we are all imperfect and prone to aberration.

he wasn't going through any suffering at that time - void spirit
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 17:51
    Originally posted by jaywill

I think Jesus was suffering at that time. I think Jesus was suffering throughout His entire life on earth. His time in the garden was a suffering too;
    you're welcome to think what you like, i'll stick with what the scriptures say, and they say jesus prayed to be spared. nothing else is relevant to this point.
  14. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 17:54
    As i have stated i am not disputing that its eternal, please learn to read properly.
    Ignorance??, you were unaware even of the name of the covenant and have provided
    less details than the secret service, it is to laugh! Its not my fault God abandoned the
    iniquitous Hebrews and formed a new spiritual nation of Israel, is it.
    it's is a sad and deceitful god that you worship, one who backpedals on his covenant.

he sounds more like lord vader:

YouTube

"i'm altering the deal, pray i do not alter it any further."

that's the god you worship.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 17:55
    I am not getting emotionally involved at all, your statement, once again now lying on
    the forum floor in tatters stated that Christ did not suffer, clearly he did, as is evidenced
    by the portion of scripture that was cited, suck it up for no amount of provisos,
    amendments, back peddling or any other references will negate this, all you need to ...[text shortened]... ct and prone to aberration.

he wasn't going through any suffering at that time - void spirit
    -if you can show that jesus was going through physical suffering during the time he prayed to be spared, by all means do so.
    -if you can show that jesus did not pray to be spared, by all means do so.

otherwise, your case is completely dismantled.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree