"Why Do Atheists Like to Write on..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 Feb 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Go on...
It influences the thinking of millions of people, including some of our friends, family and lawmakers.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Feb 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
It influences the thinking of millions of people, including some of our friends, family and lawmakers.
You can't do that. You don't have a free will.

Infidel

Moves
15 Feb 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Go on...
Seems pretty obvious to me. As SG points out, believe in god(s) influences how people think and behave. Wars are still being fought today because of different beliefs, gays are still being attacked because of religion, children's genitals are still being mutilated because of religion, people still refuse to use certain types of medication because of religion, people still refuse to give blood because of religion, people still want evolution to not be taught because of religion and billions of people would still rather live in a make believe fairytale world rather than embrace reality because of religion.

Religion and belief in god(s) still play a huge role in the world, even in my country. Obviously, it is a very relevant topic.

What were you expecting?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 Feb 14

Originally posted by josephw
You can't do that. You don't have a free will.
You are soooo not ready for an advanced topic like human free will. I'm not having that conversation with you.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Feb 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
Come on now, thats an outright lie. You clearly have no real interest in understanding us atheists or our mindsets (this very post I am quoting demonstrates this).
Also, how do you hope to change the eternal destiny of my soul if you spend so much time trying to alienate me and convince me that you are a total nutcase?
Originally posted by twhitehead
Come on now, thats an outright lie. You clearly have no real interest in understanding us atheists or our mindsets (this very post I am quoting demonstrates this).
Also, how do you hope to change the eternal destiny of my soul if you spend so much time trying to alienate me and convince me that you are a total nutcase?

"Whatever the case, we argue over a step of faith. They have taken a leap of faith to believe there is no God. I have taken a leap of faith to believe there is a God. They have their evidence. I have mine. I personally do not have enough faith to be an Atheist. The argument from design, first causes, morality, and creation are too strong for me. Also, promises in the Bible have proven true 100 percent of the time for me. My life has changed for the good. There is nothing like personal experience. Maybe they can say the same for their unbelief in God. That's fine." (from OP)

It's a fundamental risk/reward question, twhitehead. The consequences of getting the decision wrong are unimaginable.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Feb 14

Originally posted by divegeester
In general I would say not, however there are some here who seem to have taken an interest in the past and therefore have valid comment.
If true (and it probably is) and 'atheism topic' threads are unwelcome, what topics do our atheist friends wish to discuss?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
16 Feb 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
It's a fundamental risk/reward question, twhitehead. The consequences of getting the decision wrong are unimaginable.
With any bet, you must consider both the possible results AND the odds of each result occurring to know what a fair bet is.

Even if the consequences are unimaginably bad, it may still make sense to bet against that result if the chance of it happening is infinitesimal.

If we do not consider the odds, we risk being controlled by whomever threatens us with the worst result for not following their religion. Any chucklehead can claim that you will suffer forever in hell.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Feb 14

If true (and it probably is) and 'atheism topic' threads are unwelcome, what topics do our atheist friends wish to discuss?
You will know by the "Thread title" of threads created by atheists.

No go lie down while you think about that.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Feb 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
With any bet, you must consider both the possible results AND the odds of each result occurring to know what a fair bet is.

Even if the consequences are unimaginably bad, it may still make sense to bet against that result if the chance of it happening is infinitesimal.

If we do not consider the odds, we risk being controlled by whomever threatens u ...[text shortened]... following their religion. Any chucklehead can [b]claim
that you will suffer forever in hell.[/b]
How would you handicap the odds: "... the chance of it happening is infinitesimal." vs. 'Any chuckledhead's claim'?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Feb 14
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59

Sure thing; will do so Sunday. Now, I'm pleasantly tired and ready for sleep. What a great day it's been.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Feb 14

That doesn't change the fact that you lied in response to my questions, and still have not answered them.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Feb 14
1 edit

Threads by posters of record to this thread which have been active since December 1, 2013:

In God We Trust
Original post by wolfgang59, 09 Jan '14 21:04

Philatelists
Original post by wolfgang59, 08 Feb '14 21:52

How non-stamp-collectors think.
Original post by wolfgang59, 05 Feb '14 20:12

NT on women
Original post by wolfgang59, 23 Jan '14 22:33

The problem with being an infidel.
Original post by wolfgang59, 26 Nov '13 13:07

Question for Christians
Original post by wolfgang59, 20 Jan '14 14:32

What is wrong with women keeping silent in church?
Original post by wolfgang59, 25 Jan '14 04:12

Anti-atheism
Original post by wolfgang59, 15 Jan '14 00:20

Exodus 34:7
Original post by wolfgang59, 16 Jan '14 21:46

What sort of idiot… (goes to a Christian website (http://www.billionbibles.org) for information on Islam?)

Original post by Standard member wolfgang59, 28 Dec '13 03:16

Christian Tradition
Original post by wolfgang59, 16 Dec '13 02:44

who first? Matt, Mark, Luke or John?
Original post by wolfgang59, 10 Dec '13 18:36

Gods image. What does it mean to you
Original post by wolfgang59, 13 Dec '13 15:53

A miserable life
Original post by wolfgang59, 29 Nov '13 19:20
…………………………………………..

Is God more cruel than the worst sadist you know?
Original post by CalJust, 11 Feb '14 07:08

Are there any Mormons out there?
Original post by CalJust, 10 Feb '14 09:00

Change - Growth - Enlightenment
Original post by CalJust, 31 Jan '14 06:53

Is evolution anti-Christian?
Original post by CalJust, 21 Jan '14 04:27
………………………

Not A Death Penalty Thread
Original post by avalanchethecat, 10 Jan '14 13:03
…………………..

Great King Rat
……………………….

twhitehead
……………………….

Spirituality FAQ
Original post by SwissGambit, 14 Jan '14 11:37

The Versatile Bible
Original post by SwissGambit, 07 Jan '14 01:15

Capital punishment
Original post by SwissGambit, 05 Dec '13 11:17

Infidel

Moves
16 Feb 14

Fairly sure that CalJust is not an atheist.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Feb 14
2 edits

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Fairly sure that CalJust is not an atheist.
Considered the question then chose not to insult him in the event he was some variation of closet atheist. Let's ignore his.

Infidel

Moves
16 Feb 14

Say, CalJust, I have a question: are you an atheist of some kind?