1. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 Sep '08 19:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    One is enough, I reckon.

He who sits with the finger on the red button, whether his name is Bush or bin Ladin, doesn't matter. No teocratic leader should posess any nuclear weapons - or rather noone at all.

One is enough to destroy the world in the name of god.
    I rather doubt that scenario would ever play out.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 03:481 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I rather doubt that scenario would ever play out.
    You give Bin Laden an atomic bomb small enough to fit in a briefcase and you don't think he would use it? He is only one nut case out of many many of them out in Taliban land. While I firmly believe the US created its own crisis and begat the generation of ten times the number of terrorists by attacking Iraq, the point still remains, if one of those whack jobs gets ahold of a small nuke they WILL use it, of that I have no doubt. The only question will then be which city? Tel Aviv or New York City? I think it's only a matter of time.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 04:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You give Bin Laden an atomic bomb small enough to fit in a briefcase and you don't think he would use it? He is only one nut case out of many many of them out in Taliban land. While I firmly believe the US created its own crisis and begat the generation of ten times the number of terrorists by attacking Iraq, the point still remains, if one of those whack j ...[text shortened]... estion will then be which city? Tel Aviv or New York City? I think it's only a matter of time.
    Sure, I would be scared if Osama had nuclear weapons. He is a fanatic. But why treat this as an exclusively religious issue? Have you never heard about the Cold War?
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 08:09
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    But Sonhouse is holding Luther directly responsible not for anti-Semitic pogroms but the Peasants' War and the hundreds of thousands of deaths involved. He has not explained why Luther deserves blame here. The Peasants' War was a religious conflict between Catholics and Protestants, to put simply. Now just because Luther advocated anti-Semitic attacks does ...[text shortened]... nsible for the French Revolution? Was Karl Marx directly responsible for the Stalinist purges?
    my post about god extends to all the figures that are unjustly used as justification for horrors.

marx is not responsible for Stalin. in fact marx is not responsible for communism. he described an alternative to the current social structure in which few had the most wealth and power and suggested it be shifted to the masses instead. and he got stalin. who replaced one category of dictators by another. stalin is not a real communist, just a dictator.

one isn't responsible if the people listening take the message and twist it to suit their needs. one isn't responsible for the far consequences of ones actions because really how can we foresee all future ripple effects?

if one were to invent a miracle drug that makes a person completely immune to disease and then after a while only the rich are getting the drug and the poor are deliberately infected by some disease and left to die, is he responsible for their deaths
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 04:37
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Sure, I would be scared if Osama had nuclear weapons. He is a fanatic. But why treat this as an exclusively religious issue? Have you never heard about the Cold War?
    I can assure you Bin Laden is treating it as a religious issue. The cold war was about political power. Bin Laden uses political power to advance his sick agenda of hate and death. At least the commies were only interested in power.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 06:06
    You religious people have no real answer as to why your god ignores religious was except to think it probably likes them. If so, doesn't that just want you to love your god all the more?
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 06:50
    You give Bin Laden an atomic bomb small enough to fit in a briefcase and you don't think he would use it? He is only one nut case out of many many of them out in Taliban land. While I firmly believe the US created its own crisis and begat the generation of ten times the number of terrorists by attacking Iraq, the point still remains, if one of those whack j ...[text shortened]... estion will then be which city? Tel Aviv or New York City? I think it's only a matter of time.
    I thought we were talking about a nuke capable of "destroying the world," as mentioned in your previous response to me. I agree, if that danger existed (a theocrat or any potential enemy having access to that much weaponry), drastic measures would ensue. But one suitcase bomb can't do that.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 05:29
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I thought we were talking about a nuke capable of "destroying the world," as mentioned in your previous response to me. I agree, if that danger existed (a theocrat or any potential enemy having access to that much weaponry), drastic measures would ensue. But one suitcase bomb can't do that.
    Not destroy the world but it sure could make NYC uninhabitable. I would feel the effects even and I live 100 miles to the west.
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 05:46
    Not destroy the world but it sure could make NYC uninhabitable. I would feel the effects even and I live 100 miles to the west.
    True, but that's a mighty big difference--wiping out NYC and global destruction

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree