1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 03:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No I cannot say for a true Christian like myself its very pleasant to be surrounded with so many pagan elements
    After reading that, I'm surprised Atheism isn't even more popular than it already is. You do Christianity no favors.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 05:48
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    After reading that, I'm surprised Atheism isn't even more popular than it already is. You do Christianity no favors.
    You cannot deny that it is imbued with pagan elements suzzianne, whether it does 'Christianity', and favours or not is simply not the point. I don't think atheists are necessarily averse to Christianity because of me.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 09:081 edit
    You cannot deny that it is imbued with pagan elements suzzianne, whether it does 'Christianity', and favours or not is simply not the point. I don't think atheists are necessarily averse to Christianity because of me.
    Of course it is, through and through. But I do not feel condemned for enjoying the seasonality and festivity of the calendar.

My issue with you robbie is your hypocrisy; you condemn those of us with a stronger conscience who enjoy christmas time and then allow yourself the indulgences of festive foods which are named after the pagan event! allow your children to accept pagan festival gifts and you seem to hang of the peripherally of the festive activity.

I call you and Galveston on it every year because I simply don't believe that you live by the boastful haughty pretence you make in this forum.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 10:537 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Of course it is, through and through. But I do not feel condemned for enjoying the seasonality and festivity of the calendar.

My issue with you robbie is your hypocrisy; you condemn those of us with a stronger conscience who enjoy christmas time and then allow yourself the indulgences of festive foods which are named after the pagan event! allow your ...[text shortened]... se I simply don't believe that you live by the boastful haughty pretence you make in this forum.
    No hypocrisy, i have not celebrated Christmas neither have my children, all I have done is eat a Christmas pudding on January the ninth and a tasty pudding it was as well. I have pulled no crackers, set up no Christmas tree, hung no stockings, decorated my house with lights, nothing. Haters gonna hate divesgeester, I know and accept the fact, its an occupational hazard.

What my sins are is between me and my God, the real essence of your criticisms I suspect stem from a pang of conscience having it pointed out to you just how Pagan the celebration is and how you gulped it down revelling in the paganism without the slightest thought as to its acceptableness or otherwise, well that's between you and Christ.

Stating that you have a stronger conscience I doubt anyone will buy, if anything you have proven that you are prepared to compromise on almost anything, family, worldly celebrations and as far as i can discern I cannot think of a single instance where you have put scriptural principles and loyalty to those principles before personal concerns, but that once again is your affair I merely point it out. If you can provide an instance where you put scriptural principles before personal concerns, let us know.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 11:19
    No hypocrisy, i have not celebrated Christmas neither have my children, all I have done is eat a Christmas pudding on January the ninth and a tasty pudding it was as well. I have pulled no crackers, set up no Christmas tree, hung no stockings, decorated my house with lights, nothing. Haters gonna hate divesgeester, I know and accept the fact, its an ...[text shortened]... n provide an instance where you put scriptural principles before personal concerns, let us know.
    I'm not sure what hate has got to do with it, I don't hate you or anyone at all. Why is it when people call on on your hypocrisy you accuse them of hating you? Perhaps you like to feel persecuted, it that it?

Why do you allow your children to recieve Christmas presents when Christmas is a pagan festival?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '14 12:00
    I'm not sure what hate has got to do with it, I don't hate you or anyone at all. Why is it when people call on on your hypocrisy you accuse them of hating you? Perhaps you like to feel persecuted, it that it?

Why do you allow your children to recieve Christmas presents when Christmas is a pagan festival?
    why? because i respect the conscience of others that is why, i would never dream of imposing my conscience on them nor deprive them of the joy of giving, if they want to celebrate Christmas its up to them.

I noticed that you could not provide a single example of an instance where you have put scriptural principles above self concern yet deem qualified to call others out for failing to do so in your opinion, interesting, when you can, let us know.
  7. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 00:461 edit

Ask him if he is the giver or the receiver.
  8. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 00:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    What do you say that we tie Robbie down and force a birthday party on him?

You bake the cake, light the candles, and I will help force feed him cake and ice cream.

We will force him to have fun even if it kills us all!! 😛

Surely the Watchtower won't excommunicate him if we force him to submit to such pagan rituals as a party. Just so long as he does not crack a smile so as to seem to enjoy it all should be well.
    "lol oh stop" you probably gave him wet dreams.
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 01:05
    I don't care or condemn those who celebrate Christmas but we're being intellectually dishonest if we don't recognize some pagan elements in the holiday. I think the modern holiday is fairly godless it's more about materialism and how much money we can spend. it's a sad time of year for many also.

Damn I'm scaring myself I sound like a J-Dub now

Manny
  10. Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 04:46
    Originally posted by tim88
    it must really suck having a jehovah witness mum & dad
    I'm still waiting on the topic.
    Thought you were gonna explain why Jehovah's witnesses don't celebrate birthdays?
  11. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 06:35
    Originally posted by Flower04
    I'm still waiting on the topic.
    Thought you were gonna explain why Jehovah's witnesses don't celebrate birthdays?
    "Based on this is why.

Finally the opportune time came. On his birthday Herod gave a banquet for his high officials and military commanders and the leading men of Galilee. 22 When the daughter of[c] Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his dinner guests.

The king said to the girl, “Ask me for anything you want, and I’ll give it to you.” 23 And he promised her with an oath, “Whatever you ask I will give you, up to half my kingdom.”

24 She went out and said to her mother, “What shall I ask for?”

“The head of John the Baptist,” she answered.

25 At once the girl hurried in to the king with the request: “I want you to give me right now the head of John the Baptist on a platter.”

26 The king was greatly distressed, but because of his oaths and his dinner guests, he did not want to refuse her. 27 So he immediately sent an executioner with orders to bring John’s head. The man went, beheaded John in the prison, 28 and brought back his head on a platter. He presented it to the girl, and she gave it to her mother. 29 On hearing of this, John’s disciples came and took his body and laid it in a tomb.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 06:441 edit
    Originally posted by tim88
    "Based on this is why.

Finally the opportune time came. On his birthday Herod gave a banquet for his high officials and military commanders and the leading men of Galilee. 22 When the daughter of[c] Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his dinner guests.

The king said to the girl, “Ask me for anything you want, and I’ll give it to ...[text shortened]... er mother. 29 On hearing of this, John’s disciples came and took his body and laid it in a tomb.
    So one guy is weird on his birthday and nobody gets a nod on his own?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 06:441 edit
    why? because i respect the conscience of others that is why, i would never dream of imposing my conscience on them nor deprive them of the joy of giving, if they want to celebrate Christmas its up to them.

I noticed that you could not provide a single example of an instance where you have put scriptural principles above self concern yet deem qua ...[text shortened]... to call others out for failing to do so in your opinion, interesting, when you can, let us know.
    But the bible says "train a child in the way they should go and they will not depart from it". Surely if you come to this forum chastising other Christians for enjoying the festive period, you must feel strongly enough about it to set an example at home and with your extended family? I think saying that you don't want to deprive them of giving (I presume you mean your parents in this example) but surely you are providing your children with conflicting messages about Christmas in order to soothe your troubled conscience in this matter. If being anti Christmas is at important to your organisation surely your children should understand that Christmas gifts are pagan, that Christmas food is pagan? When they see you eating your Christmas pudding do they ask why daddy is allowed it and they are not? or do you do it in secret?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 08:31

My issue with you robbie is your hypocrisy; you condemn those of us with a stronger conscience who enjoy christmas time and then allow yourself the indulgences of festive foods which are named after the pagan event! allow your ...[text shortened]... se I simply don't believe that you live by the boastful haughty pretence you make in this forum.
    I agree. It's basically a question of priorities. Telling the world that celebrating Christmas is wrong seems nonsensical when there is so much more serious sin the world is wallowing in.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 14:582 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    So one guy is weird on his birthday and nobody gets a nod on his own?
    The bottom line is this, Jesus is our hero, he da man, did Jesus celebrate Birthdays? did the Apostles celebrate Birthdays? are there any Biblical principles or ordinances which have a bearing on the matter? from whence did the practice originate and what is its purpose? Only after answering questions like these can the Christian come to appreciate whether a social custom is acceptable for them or not.

I find it incredible that the proser of the argument states that JW witness parents must deprive their kids in some way when only recently he had divulged to us that having no toilet paper he used a Jehovahs witness publication to wipe the excrement from his posterior only to find out that it was printed or rather better quality paper than he is used to, i relate this for while he has not toilet paper my kids have more designer clothes than Victoria Beckham! and yet they are the deprived ones? woa!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree