1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 05:262 edits
    Originally posted by apathist
    No. If the Bible is true, then God is evil. If the Bible is true, then God is evil. An all-powerful creator putting mortal souls into eternal torment for any reason at all? It gets worse. He does it not based on whether we are good or not, but on what we believe without evidence.

A creepy ancient Hebrew god of war. I piss on it. There are way better gods all over the place.
    When you say God is evil then you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil.

If the Bible is true God is the moral law giver and not you so you have no right to call him evil if you don't even know what evil is.
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 07:432 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You know full well what I mean. A god would think the same, that it is wrong to kill, much less kill LITERALLY millions of people. HUMANS took care of the situation in WW2, not a god. And of course killing for religion is going on today as we speak, children killed for daring to want an education. For religious reasons. Like a god would decree that kind of ...[text shortened]... els but a MAN 50.

If you believe that came from a god you are fully brainwashed and deluded.
    The simple truth is ALL morality is made up by men and by men I mean males.

If that is true then you calling God "evil" is merely the subjective opinion of men. If there is no universal standard of 'good' and 'evil' your argument is ultimately meaningless.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 17:34
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk... But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, ...
    Moral law comes from people. Its called "ethics" and is a branch of philosophy.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 17:453 edits
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk...
    If the Bible is true God is the moral law giver and not you so you have no right to call him evil if you don't even know what evil is.[/b]
    I agree with your first point. Your second point is poisoned by loading.

I guess that without belief in God, we cannot tell right from wrong. Which means that believers have to be told how to behave.
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 17:55
    Moral law comes from people. Its called "ethics" and is a branch of philosophy.
    Assuming that God exists, are you saying people can hold God accountable for his actions?

It actually works the other way around.
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 17:59
    I agree with your first point. Your second point is poisoned by loading.

I guess that without belief in God, we cannot tell right from wrong. Which means that believers have to be told how to behave.
    Another theory is that you can tell right from wrong because God has given you a conscience whether you believe in him or not. If you don't believe in God you are ultimately only accountable to yourself for your own actions because then all moral laws are only the subjective opinions of men, and there is no universal 'right' or 'wrong'.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 18:03
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Assuming that God exists, are you saying people can hold God accountable for his actions?

It actually works the other way around.
    Yes, both points.

I know the Bible God is evil because of which actions he deems to be wrong and the methods he uses to address them.
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 18:09
    Another theory is that you can tell right from wrong because God has given you a conscience whether you believe in him or not. If you don't believe in God you are ultimately only accountable to yourself for your own actions because then all moral laws are only the subjective opinions of men, and there is no universal 'right' or 'wrong'.
    Right and wrong are subjective, without any doubt.

A lioness crushes the neck of a doe and drags it to the den. Good for the kittens, bad for the fawns.

Hey, if you hear God telling you to go use some firearms down at the movie junior high school and shoot the kids. You don't have a sense of right and wrong other than what you think God tells you to do.
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 18:261 edit
    Yes, both points.

I know the Bible God is evil because of which actions he deems to be wrong and the methods he uses to address them.
    By 'evil' are you referring to your subjective opinion of what 'evil' is or some universal standard?
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 18:29
    Right and wrong are subjective, without any doubt.

A lioness crushes the neck of a doe and drags it to the den. Good for the kittens, bad for the fawns.

Hey, if you hear God telling you to go use some firearms down at the movie junior high school and shoot the kids. You don't have a sense of right and wrong other than what you think God tells you to do.
    I disagree, no one in their right mind will agree that it is ok to shoot kids whether they believe in God or not. You have to be out of your mind to do that.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 18:35
    I disagree, no one in their right mind will agree that it is ok to shoot kids whether they believe in God or not. You have to be out of your mind to do that.
    You confirm that morality is subjective.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 18:38
    By 'evil' are you referring to your subjective opinion of what 'evil' is or some universal standard?
    My subjective opinion.

Little kids need to be told right from wrong. Grown-ups have to figure it out on their own.
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 18:45
    You confirm that morality is subjective.
    No I don't. If something is wrong regardless of what people think or believe then it is objectively wrong.
  14. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 18:46
    My subjective opinion.

Little kids need to be told right from wrong. Grown-ups have to figure it out on their own.
    By figure it out on our own do you mean that there is a universal standard of right and wrong that we need to discover?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 19:231 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    This alleged god allowed LITERALLY hundreds of millions of people to die by the hands of despots and war in centuries past and still going on today.

The fact there was zero from your alleged god shows quite clearly just how much it must care for humanity, even assuming it exists, which I can confidently say does not.

That is not the same as saying th ...[text shortened]... ekels but a MAN is worth 50.

Gee, how CONVENIENT, a book written by men saying such nonsense.
    You should read the book of Job. One of the most upright men in all the Bible

We all suffer and die.

The one who lives the longest and happiest wins! 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree