1. Pepperland
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 18:21
    Originally posted by 667joe
    We are hard wired to enjoy pleasure. It's all in your brain. Nothing supernatural about it. You could not enjoy anything before your brain was formed, and you will not be able to enjoy anything after your brain dies.
    that is an answer to "how", not "why".
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 18:26
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    that is an answer to "how", not "why".
    Why is there a God?
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 19:22
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Why is there a God?
    nobody knows.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 19:542 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Art could be seen as being originally a side-product of our aesthetic sensibilities (which can be said to have a reproductive function). Abstract art (which came much later) is a more social phenomenon, but that again does not require (nor deny) a metaphysical explanation.

Side note: There is actually a bird of paradise where the male constructs a "galler s no purpose other than to make the female willing to mate with him. Very interesting stuff.
    yes its awesome, imagine that and then imagine if it was the same with humans. I have a cubist print on my wall, would you like to see it? resistance is futile, your mine woman!

My friend from Australia told me that the first thing his fiancée did when she entered his flat was to straighten up the pictures which were hanging on the wall, he relates that it was an ominous portent of things to come. 🙂
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 21:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    how does science explain why we love art? its certainly superfluous to survival. How does science explain why we have a conscience? How does science explain consciousness? How does science explain morality? How does science explain spirituality? Can adhering to a strictly materialistic point of view make one more purposeful? More Happy perhaps? Please explain.
    Art is the refinement of perception. Artists are more aware of their environments than say mathematicians.

The conscience and morality are part of our social mentality. We're like wolves or cattle; we're social animals with social instincts.

Spirituality is like art; those who are always looking for friends, enemies, and explanations will tend to be more aware of the reality around them.

I'm not sure what a strictly materialistic point of view is.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 21:59
    Originally posted by ua41
    So you're an atheist because science categorizes terms and phenomena in a system of categorization? Sure, we can explain things my natural laws and stuff, but it will never answer why those natural laws are in place or why certain things should happen et cetera.

Why are we stuck to the ground?
    Because of gravity
    What is gravity?
    The attractive force we a ...[text shortened]... where it calls for the absence of a god
    Same with rainbows, and thunder and the sun et cetera.
    Occam's Razor is why scientific results tend to suggest the lack of gods.
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 22:07
    You are wrong. Science advances because it always wants to learn more. It is never satisfied with the status quo unlike religion which does not like change at all. Science and atheists have never said we know it all. We want to learn as much as possible and realize , as Thomas Edison said, we know less than 1% about anything at all.
    Christianity has evolved over the centuries and has adapted to different cultures and scientific discoveries. Many Christians now believe in evolution for example , which 200 years ago would have seemed impossible.

Infact , the whole religion of Christianity is the story of one religion (judaism) being evolved into another.

To say "religion does not change at all" is just a myth you have created in your own mind to support your assumptions.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '10 22:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Art is the refinement of perception. Artists are more aware of their environments than say mathematicians.

The conscience and morality are part of our social mentality. We're like wolves or cattle; we're social animals with social instincts.

Spirituality is like art; those who are always looking for friends, enemies, and explanations will tend ...[text shortened]... e of the reality around them.

I'm not sure what a strictly materialistic point of view is.
    i say that art is not concerned with the environment, nor of perceptions, but with spirituality. You may think of music, which is a spiritual entity, it affects our moods and demeanour, concerns itself with our emotions and occasionally our intellect. There was a time when it was thought that the mere imitation of nature was the ultimate aim, but it was soon discovered that man may transcend, through his thought processes, his immediate environment, and create rather than merely imitate.

Conscience may be suppressed, or ignored. It may excuse or accuse us through the dictates of reason. To state that animals use reason, i do not think can be established, their mode of conduct is instinctive.

yes spirituality should make us better human beings, if it does not then it has proven itself false to its own power.

A strictly materialistic point of view is one which denies a spiritual element, one in which there is no reality but the material or physical.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 03:43
    i say that art is not concerned with the environment, nor of perceptions, but with spirituality. You may think of music, which is a spiritual entity, it affects our moods and demeanour, concerns itself with our emotions and occasionally our intellect. There was a time when it was thought that the mere imitation of nature was the ultimate aim, but i ...[text shortened]... which denies a spiritual element, one in which there is no reality but the material or physical.
    What's a "spiritual element" if it's not part of the material or physical world?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 03:59
    In human history, many things were thought to have supernatural causes such as lightning, rainbows, earthquakes, floods, diseases, season changes, etc. One by one, they have all been proven to have natural causes that can be explained by science. On the other hand, there has never been something natural which has been proven scientifically to have a superna ...[text shortened]... l cause. Nothing. Zero. All the proof is flowing in the direction of supernatural to natural!
    "In human history, many things were thought to have supernatural causes such as lightning, rainbows, earthquakes, floods, diseases, season changes, etc."

All these things were created by a supernatural being. God.

"On the other hand, there has never been something natural which has been proven scientifically to have a supernatural cause."

Ironic isn't it? It's not enough for the atheist that what exists is the evidence. No, he has to "prove" it to himself with some type of experiment, as if the he had enough intelligence to produce an experiment that could prove the existence of God.
  11. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 04:00
    In human history, many things were thought to have supernatural causes such as lightning, rainbows, earthquakes, floods, diseases, season changes, etc. One by one, they have all been proven to have natural causes that can be explained by science. On the other hand, there has never been something natural which has been proven scientifically to have a superna ...[text shortened]... l cause. Nothing. Zero. All the proof is flowing in the direction of supernatural to natural!
    yet you cannot prove that God does not exist
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 06:16
    Originally posted by duecer
    yet you cannot prove that God does not exist
    Shouldn't the burden of proof rest with the claimant?
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 06:18
    Ironic isn't it? It's not enough for the atheist that what exists is the evidence. No, he has to "prove" it to himself with some type of experiment, as if the he had enough intelligence to produce an experiment that could prove the existence of God.
    I could conjecture hundreds of possible explanations for existence. What makes the God conjecture better?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 07:292 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What's a "spiritual element" if it's not part of the material or physical world?
    mmm, vewy vewy intwesting, a spiritual element?, something that belongs to the spiritual realm? in other words a non physical reality.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 08:40
    mmm, vewy vewy intwesting, a spiritual element?, something that belongs to the spiritual realm? in other words a non physical reality.
    By non-physical, do you mean non-material like light, and magnetism, or do you mean totally disconnected from physical phenomena? If there is a total disconnect, then is it really real? And can it interact with physical phenomena?
    If there is an interaction, then is that interaction observable? If not, then should it be called 'reality'?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree