1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 May '16 17:08
    Why I do not believe in the god of Tradition.

I can understand why unbelievers look at the Christian God as nonsense.
    I have trouble understanding all the variations myself.
    To the best of my knowledge, and I will continue to add to the list, I am listing my reasons.
    If anyone has any further input, please do so.
    In due time, I will state what I believe and what the bible really says about each one of these issues.
    I will do so with my own words and with links for further study for whoever wants to look into these matters.
    I am moving this week. Wednesday I will lose internet, so it may be awhile before I come back to this.

1. The Trinity.

This is one of the big ones. Again, there are many variations, different sects have different definitions. This list alone is not exhaustive.
    God is one but three distinct beings.
    God is one but three persons in one. (whatever that means).
    God is one but he can be seen in three manifestations. ( like water, ice and snow?)
    God is three persons but they are co-equal.
    The Trinity cannot be explained and has to be accepted by faith.
    You must understand that three and one mean the same thing.
    Then the words...God-man, incarnate, etc.

2. God is in control of every thing that happens good or evil.

God is responsible for all good and all evil. Christians say that God "allows" evil but he is not the one doing the evil. ( The same can be said for Al Capone)

3. When you die you immediately go straight to heaven or hell.

4. Hell is a place of eternal torment. You cannot die and are not consumed by flames, but you feel the flames forever in constant anguish. (Ever burn yourself?)

5. Heaven is a place in the sky where angels have wings and may or may not be little fat babies. There will also be many harps, clouds, etc.

6. The soul lives forever in either heaven or hell. It is like matter in that it cannot be destroyed even by God. ( Or He does not want to)

7. The bible is full of contradictions and is unreliable. It is outdated and cannot apply to modern times.

8. Only what Jesus said is reliable and supersedes the rest of the bible.

9. Jesus died for our sins but we must continue to pay for our own sins.

10. We must have faith in the scribes who penned the translation from the Greek. There is no bias and no human error.

To be continued...
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 May '16 17:38
    Originally posted by checkbaiter

To the best of my knowledge, and I will continue to add to the list, I am listing my reasons.
    In due time, I will state what ...[text shortened]... enned the translation from the Greek. There is no bias and no human error.

To be continued...
    IF you follow Christ's commandments,
    THEN you wont have to bother about all the nonsense in religion.
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    22 May '16 17:41

In due time, I will state what ...[text shortened]... enned the translation from the Greek. There is no bias and no human error.

To be continued...
    1. The Trinity

One male human and one female human are two different kinds of people, and yet both fall under the (one) classification of 'man'. How can there be two distinct classifications of people, and yet both fall under the same one classification of 'man'?

Anyone able to understand how this is possible should also be able to understand how God can be one, and at the same time three distinct 'persons' of the one God.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 May '16 17:44
    You can try to understand, but you do not understand. If you did, then you would look at the Christian God that way too. But you don't.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 May '16 17:46
    [b]Why I do not believe in the god of Tradition.

In due time, I will state what ...[text shortened]... penned the translation from the Greek. There is no bias and no human error.

To be continued...[/b
    I think a god easy to explain would be harder for me to believe in verses one that we have
    a hard time grasping.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 May '16 17:47
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    1. The Trinity

One male human and one female human are two different kinds of people, and yet both fall under the (one) classification of 'man'. How can there be two distinct classifications of people, and yet both fall under the same one classification of 'man'?

Anyone able to understand how this is possible should also be able to understand how God can be one, and at the same time three distinct 'persons' of the one God.
    Could you provide a better explanation?

(I'm in that kind of mood).
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    22 May '16 18:011 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Could you provide a better explanation?

(I'm in that kind of mood).
    The explanation I provided works for me. I don't know what explanation could work for you, because I already know there is no explanation you cannot (because you will not) reject.

(I'm not in the mood to waste my time)
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 May '16 18:11
    The explanation I provided works for me. I don't know what explanation could work for you, because I already know there is no explanation you cannot (because you will not) reject.

(I'm not in the mood to waste my time)
    Sure sir, it works for you. However in your post you stated 'Anyone able to understand how this is possible...' So naturally I assumed you were opening it up to others.

(My mood today is also a little pedantic).
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 May '16 18:19

To be continued...
    1 to 7 and 10, is of no real value for anyone who is serious about eternal life. 8 and 9 is however. Since you like only the Apostles teaching in the New Dispensation. Paul said:

And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
    (Hebrews 5:9 KJV)

Christ gives eternal life to all who obey him All the Apostles in the New Dispensation said the same thing. Need references?
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    22 May '16 18:271 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Sure sir, it works for you. However in your post you stated 'Anyone able to understand how this is possible...' So naturally I assumed you were opening it up to others.

(My mood today is also a little pedantic).
    Yes, I was opening it up for others to THINK about.

Not believing in God's existence does not mean you are unable to think about it. It more likely means you are unwilling to think about it. There are lazy Christian thinkers here as well, so being an atheist has nothing to do with understanding or not understanding internal consistency.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 May '16 19:22
    1. The Trinity

This is a poor analogy.
    Firstly the genus is homosapiens, not "man". Besides the term would be "mankind".
    Secondly the man and the woman are still two separate and distinct persons.
    Thirdly claiming God is one person and also three persons is ridiculous.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 May '16 19:36
    Yes, I was opening it up for others to THINK about.

Not believing in God's existence does not mean you are unable to think about it. It more likely means you are unwilling to think about it. There are lazy Christian thinkers here as well, so being an atheist has nothing to do with understanding or not understanding internal consistency.
    Agreed. Not believing in God does not mean I am unable to think about concepts such as the Trinity, which is why I asked for a better explanation than the one you provided.

Your assumption that, because i am an atheist, I am a 'lazy thinker' in this area and am unwilling to think about it is incorrect. Not only have I thought about it in a non-lazy way, it actually formed part of my final dissertation. (Which okay, wasn't well received).
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 May '16 19:46
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I think a god easy to explain would be harder for me to believe in verses one that we have
    a hard time grasping.
    Yes but so is Santa Claus.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 May '16 19:48
    1. The Trinity

Huh? So you mean like when Jesus was praying in the garden of Gethsemane he might have meant "not my will but my wife's will be done?"
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 May '16 19:49
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    1 to 7 and 10, is of no real value for anyone who is serious about eternal life. 8 and 9 is however. Since you like only the Apostles teaching in the New Dispensation. Paul said:

And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
    (Hebrews 5:9 KJV)

[b] Christ gives eternal life to all who obey him
    All the Apostles in the New Dispensation said the same thing. Need references?[/b]
    Gee, I would not have guessed that in a million years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree