1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 12:14
    Originally posted by bobbob1056th
    Ok, I might understand if you rejected a free car. Or even a million dollars. But why would anyone reject salvation from the Lord Jesus? I'd like some reasons here please.
    It's very difficult to answer the question without seeming disrespectful toward your beliefs.

You believe Jesus was the Son of God and the key to your Salvation. I do not.

A friend of mine responded thusly to a theological thread regarding Mel Gibson's "The Passion":

There once was a book. And this book was filled with metaphorical tales whose characters may or may not have existed and may or may not have been personified beyond reality. And this book told stories meant to teach the basis of human nature in hopes that if a person read this book that they may learn to be better people from its simple lessons. And over the ages it has been reprinted and the stories retold and their meanings reexamined. But in the end it is still a book with metaphorical tales meant to simply teach a lesson. That book was Aesop's Fables.

Oh yeah there was the bible too.

I liked it enough to reprint it.
  2. Standard memberVillager
    Peasant
    England
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 13:37
    Anything that can 'die' is not God. Anything, surely, that can be limited to and contained in human form is, similarly, not God. When I was young I couldn't understand what these people were trying to say about Jesus, only later did I realise that was because it doesn't make any sense.
  3. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 15:18
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    but at the end of the day, the arbitrary dogma associated with the christian belief system is stifling. i reject accepting arbitrary dogma.
    Why do you think it is arbitrary?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 15:36
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Did Zues or Odin or Allah die for your sins on the cross?

Were any of them raised from the dead?
    They're GODS silly; how can they be dead to be raised? Heracles went to Hades and returned; would that be good enough for you to accept him as the Son of God, which ancient texts claimed him to be?

How do you know that anyone died on a cross "for your sins"? Couldn't they have just died on a cross because they messed with the wrong Roman? Something like 15,000 slaves died on the cross for participating in Spartacus' revolt against Rome; I assume you don't believe they died "for your sins"; why do you believe Jesus did so - cuz an ancient book says so?
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 16:02
    Did Zues or Odin or Allah die for your sins on the cross?

Were any of them raised from the dead?
    Are you familiar with the history of Zeus' son Dionysus?
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 16:18
    Originally posted by bobbob1056th
    Ok, I might understand if you rejected a free car. Or even a million dollars. But why would anyone reject salvation from the Lord Jesus? I'd like some reasons here please.
    I have a pearl in my house, but I can't find it for the clutter. I can do some of the clearing away on my own, to make the looking easier. I may require the assistance of others once I've cleared all I can, but there is no one particular other that is solely qualified to assist.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 17:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    They're GODS silly; how can they be dead to be raised? Heracles went to Hades and returned; would that be good enough for you to accept him as the Son of God, which ancient texts claimed him to be?

How do you know that anyone died on a cross "for your sins"? Couldn't they have just died on a cross because they messed with the wro ...[text shortened]... ieve they died "for your sins"; why do you believe Jesus did so - cuz an ancient book says so?
    Well if you think it is just an ancient book, I understand your view. But, what about all its phophecies and their fulfilments? Surely you can't just ignore them?
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 17:50
    Well if you think it is just an ancient book, I understand your view. But, what about all its phophecies and their fulfilments? Surely you can't just ignore them?
    The record is skipping again . . . and again . . . and again . . .
  9. Copenhagen
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 17:51
    I'm not too strong in the Bible, what prophecies and fulfilments does it talk about?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 17:521 edit
    I haven't seen a single specific prophecy from the OT that was fulfilled with the possible exception of some concerning Jesus and those events could have been done with the prophecies in mind. For the rest, our discussion in the Biblical Prophecies thread shows that the original prophecies were soooooooo vague that any number of later events could have been said to have "fulfilled" them, sort of like Nostradamus or Jeanne Dixon.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 18:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I haven't seen a single specific prophecy from the OT that was fulfilled with the possible exception of some concerning Jesus and those events could have been done with the prophecies in mind. For the rest, our discussion in the Biblical Prophecies thread shows that the original prophecies were soooooooo vague that any number of later events could have been said to have "fulfilled" them, sort of like Nostradamus or Jeanne Dixon.
    Prophecy is foretelling an event in such detail before it happens so as to necessarily require divine guidance. The Bible is a book containing hundreds of detailed prophecies. There are, for example, well over 60 distinct predictions in regard to our divine Saviour Jesus Christ. Here is a sample of just 10 prophecies that foretold the crucifixion of Christ. Not only were the predictions made 1000 years before Christ came from heaven to earth, but they were made over 500 years before crucifixion was first used anywhere in the world as a form of capital punishment! Crucifixion didn't exist when the prophecies were made.

A scientist picked out 48 such prophecies and determined that the probability of one man randomly fulfilling them all is 1 in 10 to the exponent of 157. That is one followed by 157 zeros! Your chances of winning a typical lottery jackpot is about 1 in 108. (100,000,000) Yet, Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies!

See:http://www.bible.ca/b-prophecy-60.htm
  12. Copenhagen
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 18:20
    Prophecy is foretelling an event in such detail before it happens so as to necessarily require divine guidance. The Bible is a book containing hundreds of detailed prophecies. There are, for example, well over 60 distinct predictions in regard to our divine Saviour Jesus Christ. Here is a sample of just 10 prophecies that foretold the crucifixion of Christ ...[text shortened]... 000,000) Yet, Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies!

See:http://www.bible.ca/b-prophecy-60.htm
    LOL. Those are the funniest prophecies I've seen in a long time. I especialy enjoyed nos 46 and 48:

46. People stared at Him
    48. Became very thirsty

They must have been hard to fulfill 🙂
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 18:25
    Originally posted by nickybutt
    LOL. Those are the funniest prophecies I've seen in a long time. I especialy enjoyed nos 46 and 48:

46. People stared at Him
    48. Became very thirsty

They must have been hard to fulfill 🙂
    The two by themselves may have been easy to fulfil, but take them together with all the others and the chances become slimmer.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 18:38
    The two by themselves may have been easy to fulfil, but take them together with all the others and the chances become slimmer.
    A lot of the crucifixtion ones rely on Psalm 22 as a description of Jesus' death yet Psalm 22:6 has this individual saying:

6 But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised of the people.

Did Jesus, the Son of God, consider himself a worm?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree