why read the bible?

why read the bible?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
23 Jul 07

why read a book if you know you do not believe in it? a lot of atheists and agnostics know more about the bible than most christians in this forum; what is the point of that, i dont get it? and did you give it a chance, or did you read it with the mindset that it wasnt real and you wanted to make fun of it? were you laughing at how stupid you thought it was the whole time?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
why read a book if you know you do not believe in it? a lot of atheists and agnostics know more about the bible than most christians in this forum; what is the point of that, i dont get it? and did you give it a chance, or did you read it with the mindset that it wasnt real and you wanted to make fun of it? were you laughing at how stupid you thought it was the whole time?
I don't get this thread at all. Look, Christians should be reading Richard Dawkins. They don't have to believe in him or what he says. Atheists can read the Bible and they don't have to believe in it. I can read Harry Potter without believing in it. You know people do read for enjoyment and learning and relaxation.

E

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
I don't get this thread at all. Look, Christians should be reading Richard Dawkins. They don't have to believe in him or what he says. Atheists can read the Bible and they don't have to believe in it. I can read Harry Potter without believing in it. You know people do read for enjoyment and learning and relaxation.
but harry potter does not claim to be a true story; the bible does.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Jul 07

I was born in a mostly Roman Catholic country, so I was surrounded by people who believed and had been in contact with mostly Catholics all my life at that point (around 12/13).

Since I didn't feel anything close to faith, I decided to read it thoroughly to know what was this all about. I did it with the (somewhat naive) mindset of wanting to believe. However, reading it made me feel even further away from Roman Catholic beliefs and I became an atheist of sorts (at the time, I was too young to think of atheism as something other than non-RCC).

With time, my atheism began to make sense to me and as I read about religion I found more solid roots that where in accordance with my thoughts.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jul 07
1 edit

but harry potter does not claim to be a true story; the bible does.
If Harry Potter started with the words "This is a true story.." would you then refuse to read it? There are a lot of old stories and fairy tales that claim to be true but everyone knows they are not. But that doesn't mean you cant read them.
Besides the Bible does not claim to be a true story because it cannot possibly refer to itself (unless you believe in God). The individual stories may claim that they are true but I don't think all of them do.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
If Harry Potter started with the words "This is a true story.." would you then refuse to read it? There are a lot of old stories and fairy tales that claim to be true but everyone knows they are not. But that doesn't mean you cant read them.
Besides the Bible does not claim to be a true story because it cannot possibly refer to itself (unless you believe ...[text shortened]... God). The individual stories may claim that they are true but I don't think all of them do.
Let's get real. Who reads the Bible as if it were a literary work?

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jul 07

If you lived in a Muslim country and everybody you knew was Muslim and kept quoting the Qu'ran would you not read the Qu'ran just to see what it was about?

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by Palynka
Let's get real. Who reads the Bible as if it were a literary work?
I read some of the old Testament and some of the Apocrypha more or less as a literary work.

d

Moves
23 Jul 07

There are some who claim that their holy book is divine, and one is transcended when one reads it. Had I read the bible, and found it to be so immaculate it could only have been inspired by the divine, I would probably have converted. But instead I found the writing to be immoral and putrid.

There are also claims that the bible does not contradict, and this shows it is influenced by God. Another reason why an atheist may wish to read the bible, see that it does contradict, and not be shaken from their logical standpoint.

j

Moves
23 Jul 07
1 edit

Why read the Bible?

One should read the Bible to feed the spiritual hunger deep within.

One should read the Bible to contact Jesus Christ and touch God.
Any reading of the Bible which does not result in spiritual nourishment
is very vain and can even be damaging in some cases.

We should read the Bible to bring the living God into our hearts.
Instead of having an attitude of being above the Bible as a critic,
we should allow the Bible to ascend above us as we humble
ourselves.

We should always come to the Bible with a willingness to allow
God to change our being. We do not read the Bible in order to
cling to and preserve our own stubborn and sinful ways. We should
come to the Bible to allow the Holy Spirit to correct, adjust, enlighten,
and calibrate us more towards the living God.

We should read the Bible to obtain the truth about life and the
meaning of life which is Christ and His salvation. He is the Jewish Messiah and the Savior of the world. He is the central matter in the Bible. And He is the one who feeds men and women's innermost thirst and hunger for life and wellbeing.

We should read the Bible to actually "eat" God and "digest" God to be supplied and equiped and nourished by and on God for God's eternal purpose.

Moves
23 Jul 07

Actually the real question is why so many Christians believe what the bible says, and yet they have never read it. 😕

j

Moves
23 Jul 07
6 edits

"Your words were found and I ate them, And Your word became to me the gladness and joy of my heart ..." (Jeremiah 15:16)

The prophet Jeremiah says he "ate" the words of God and gained joy and rejoicing in his heart.

I challenge anyone, if they start to read three chapters of the Bible each morning, after one week come back and tell me how your heart feels.

People talk about empirical evidence. Here's a test for them. Read aloud three chapters of the Bible every morning. If you don't want to read aloud, read softly. I encourage you though to use your mouth (not mandatory).

After one week of reading three chapters of the Bible each morning I predict that most likely will have joy and gladness in your heart.

Try it. Come back and tell us how your heart feels in a week. Now I suggest some books in the Bible:

The Gospel of John

The Gospel of Luke

The Gospel of Mark

The Gospel of Matthew

Genesis

Psalms

Exodus

Romans

Three chapters, every morning, for one week. I predict that you also will have noticiable joy and gladness in your heart. And people around you will notice the change.

Try it.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by jaywill
Try it.
I just might do that after you send me proof that you have read aloud three chapters of the Qu'ran and Richard Dawkins book "The God Delusion" every morning for a month.
If not, then give me a credible reason why you shouldn't but I should do as you suggest.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
I just might do that after you send me proof that you have read aloud three chapters of the Qu'ran and Richard Dawkins book "The God Delusion" every morning for a month.
If not, then give me a credible reason why you shouldn't but I should do as you suggest.
Im doing it. Does that count ? But why aloud ?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by Bad wolf
Actually the real question is why so many Christians believe what the bible says, and yet they have never read it. 😕
Good point. I would estimate that close to 90 % of Christians simply take for granted what they are told and dont actually read the Bible for themselves. The Catholic arcbishop here in TT was actually advising Catholics NOT TO BOTHER TO READ THE BIBLE. His point was that the Bible is a very difficult book and the preists will give them the correct interpretation and tell them what portions are important.