1. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:13
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Good point. I would estimate that close to 90 % of Christians simply take for granted what they are told and dont actually read the Bible for themselves. The Catholic arcbishop here in TT was actually advising Catholics NOT TO BOTHER TO READ THE BIBLE. His point was that the Bible is a very difficult book and the preists will give them the correct interpretation and tell them what portions are important.
    And a large percentage of the theists in this forum claim to be able to understand / interpret the Bible totally differently from the rest of us. Apparently with the aid of prayer or Secret Decoder Rings it becomes a whole new book. So I guess if we atheists do read the Bible we are not actually reading what many theists are reading.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:14
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Why read the Bible?
    Did you read the question or could you just not help yourself. People would be more likely to read you posts if you actually thought before posting.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:17
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Let's get real. Who reads the Bible as if it were a literary work?
    Well, me...
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:201 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Well, me...
    Why? What are the literary merits of the Bible? And do you read it as fiction?

I don't believe you one second, sorry. You can read it as a historical work, but not as fiction. And if you do you're just deceiving yourself because the book wasn't meant to be read as fiction.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:31

I don't believe you one second, sorry. You can read it as a historical work, but not as fiction. And if you do you're just deceiving yourself because the book wasn't meant to be read as fiction.
    Your second paragraph jumps the gun a bit.

The Bible unquestionably forms part of world literature. Dispute that and I'll be quite concerned. It's a compendium of literary styles...myth, legend, chronicles, poetry, prophecy...As to its merits, well, that would involve the forms and techniques of the various books...Those are literary questions.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:35
    Your second paragraph jumps the gun a bit.

The Bible unquestionably forms part of world literature. Dispute that and I'll be quite concerned. It's a compendium of literary styles...myth, legend, chronicles, poetry, prophecy...As to its merits, well, that would involve the forms and techniques of the various books...Those are literary questions.
    For me it's like reading Pline's letters as literature.

But maybe it's just me.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:39

But maybe it's just me.
    Pliny's letters are literature, though, as are Herodotus' histories, and pretty much any other ancient author you might care to name.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:41
    Pliny's letters are literature, though, as are Herodotus' histories, and pretty much any other ancient author you might care to name.
    I separate writing from literature, in the same way I separate wall painting from murals.

But maybe I'm wrong.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:43
    I separate writing from literature, in the same way I separate wall painting from murals.

But maybe I'm wrong.
    You wouldn't separate Cocteau's murals from his paintings, would you?
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:50
    You wouldn't separate Cocteau's murals from his paintings, would you?
    I don't get it... 😳 What are you trying to say?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:55

Must literature be fiction? Thats not specified in the dictionary.

An I certainly believe that some of the Bible was not believed to be true by it writers. Whether that makes it fiction is another matter. Are proverbs fiction? Are they historical facts? Facts?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 13:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Must literature be fiction? Thats not specified in the dictionary.

An I certainly believe that some of the Bible was not believed to be true by it writers. Whether that makes it fiction is another matter. Are proverbs fiction? Are they historical facts? Facts?
    Literature, to me, is defined by intent. If the purpose of the writing is mainly to be literary, then it is literature. If the purpose is mainly to communicate then it is not.

I don't think that the purpose of the writers of the bible was mainly literary.
  13. The sky
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 14:00

But maybe it's just me.
    What about the Song of Solomon, for example? I'd say that's definitely literature.
  14. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 14:01
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b] "Your words were found and I ate them, And Your word became to me the gladness and joy of my heart ..." (Jeremiah 15:16)

The prophet Jeremiah says he "ate" the words of God and gained joy and rejoicing in his heart.

I challenge anyone, if they start to read three chapters of the Bible each morning, after one week come back and te ...[text shortened]... joy and gladness in your heart. And people around you will notice the change.

Try it.[/b]
    The books you recommend (nice way to leave out revelation XD)

John:
    "an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had." - 5:4

Angel-powered jacuzzis cure sickness!

"he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay." - 9:6

Jesus rubs spitwads in dude's eyes, it's not like he can see anyway, lol.

"He that loveth his life shall lose it" - 12:25

If you want to go to heaven, by a nihilistic, suicidal emo.

"when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst" - 20:19

Jesus can walk through walls!

"for he was naked, and did cast himself into the sea." - 21:7

Jesus caught Peter when he was fishing naked! ROFL!

Luke:
    "lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy." - 1:44

Fetus John was so happy he bounced about in the womb

"And Jesus increased in wisdom"- 2:52

The omniscient got even more omniscient! WTF!?

"And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias" - 9:30

Jesus has the sixth sense *music*

"If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you." - 17:6

I have little faith, I just tried this, and it doesn't work. I feel disheartened now.

"until the day that Noe entered into the ark" - 17:27

Jesus thinks that the story of Noah's ark actually happened.

"he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - 22:36

Get a sword already. They're hellacool

"Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." - 23:43

GODDAMN LYING LITTLE SON OF A! Jesus doesn't go to paradise for another 43 days! That theif has pretty good grounds to sue on with that.

OK that's enough for the first two. I'm pretty sure nobody could read those quotations and be aew-struck by how beautiful or transcending they are. The rest of it isn't bad. Some good stuff in the bible, some decent poetry. But nobody reads it and finds it connects them to god unless they had decided beforehand that Christianity is correct. The bible does nothing for anyone.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 14:02
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    What about the Song of Solomon, for example? I'd say that's definitely literature.
    Good call. I agree with that, but it's still a drop in the ocean.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree