1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 14:35
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    How on earth would I know?

Won't you address my question on the Islamic wars of conquest--I want to know what you think.
    War is hardly ever the result of one single factor. The Islamic wars IMO were a combination of conquest, proselytisation and I don't know how many other causes. Once they got started, the plot thickened into betrayal, etc.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 14:411 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    War is hardly ever the result of one single factor. The Islamic wars IMO were a combination of conquest, proselytisation and I don't know how many other causes. Once they got started, the plot thickened into betrayal, etc.
    Considering that Mohammed used his new religion to unite the pagan Arab tribes before going on a conquering spree, religion does seem the major driving force behind that particular bit of history.

I thought you'd already admitted that religion is one of war's marvellous and varied causes. (See Ivanhoe's fantastic thread about the Crusades, where the crusaders are rehabilitated as true believers to protect them from the slanderous accusation that rape & pillage was was really got them in the saddle).
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 17:02
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Considering that Mohammed used his new religion to unite the pagan Arab tribes before going on a conquering spree, religion does seem the major driving force behind that particular bit of history.

I thought you'd already admitted that religion is one of war's marvellous and varied causes. (See Ivanhoe's fantastic thread about the Crusades, where ...[text shortened]... them from the slanderous accusation that rape & pillage was was really got them in the saddle).
    See Ivanhoe's fantastic thread about the Crusades...

Just to note: it's in the Debates Forum--

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php threadid=31578&page=1
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 17:441 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]See Ivanhoe's fantastic thread about the Crusades...

Just to note: it's in the Debates Forum--

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php threadid=31578&page=1[/b]
    Thanks. Taking a look-see

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree