Why religion is dumb - reason 7 (guilt)

Why religion is dumb - reason 7 (guilt)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
09 Nov 05

Originally posted by howardgee
All religions convey the concept of guilt to it's followers.

Sacrifices traditionally are made to 'appease' the Gods which implies that somebody has upset them in the first place.

Xtians doing evil tend to blame only themselves, but upon committing a good deed, or receiveing a favourable outcome from an action, will thank God.
This detracts from ...[text shortened]... ge. Indeed onanism is considered a sin, and sex is seen as being for procreation purposes only.
You really are confused...

h

Cosmos

Moves
09 Nov 05

Originally posted by Halitose
You really are confused...
gone a bit shy have we halitosis?

Recognise a few of your own short-comings (forgive the pun) in my post did you?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Nov 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Precisely...
...although I must say I've never attended a religious ceremony that didn't have an element of the ridiculous.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
09 Nov 05

All religions convey the concept of guilt to it's followers.

Sacrifices traditionally are made to 'appease' the Gods which implies that somebody has upset them in the first place.

Xtians doing evil tend to blame only themselves, but upon committing a good deed, or receiveing a favourable outcome from an action, will thank God.
This detracts from ...[text shortened]... ge. Indeed onanism is considered a sin, and sex is seen as being for procreation purposes only.
this may be what some people beleive and/or feel, but it is not what Christians should feel. Sin, and the guilt assosiated with it, was taken away by Jesus's death on the cross.

h

Moves
09 Nov 05

A friend of mine recently lost her baby (miscarried).

Being religious, she is now racked by guilt, convinced that she has been punished by God for something she has done wrong.

I have tried in vain to convince her that miscarriages before 3 months are simply natural and random events without blame or causes.

A person suffering such emotional los ...[text shortened]... is. Why must religion punish them further with the notion of guilt and judgement from on high?
I'll have to give you some props there. guilt is one of organised religion's biggest crimes against humanity. It is responsible for much suffering, and I agree, totally unnecessary. It is one of the many characteristics of western religion that is clearly "man made". a supreme being would have no need for this type of pathetic manipulation.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Nov 05

Originally posted by genius
Sin, and the guilt assosiated with it, was taken away by Jesus's death on the cross.
So Jesus is ok with, say, pre- / extra-marital sex? Right on!!!

h

Moves
09 Nov 05

before anyone starts saying this is not christain doctrine....Lord I am not worthy..... sound familar? WHY on earth would God's creations not be worthy to receive him? This implies guilt...that just by existing you have done something wrong.
Saved a wretch like me????
You are human! not a wretch, the fact that you have shortcomings is natural, not wretched!
I know my Catholic upbringing left me feeling very guilty for being sexually aroused by women...it took me years not to feel guilty because of my desire. HELLO! If you believe in God...who wired up our genitals? Thankfuly I had an epiphany in my twenties, and eventually married a stripper! 7 years later we are quite happily married thank you!

Moves
09 Nov 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Christ said that if you look at a women and lust after her, you have already comitted adultery with her.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Nov 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Christ said that if you look at a women and lust after her, you have already comitted adultery with her.
Tell that to genius. I hope he's been keeping his eyes to himself!

h

Moves
09 Nov 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Your proving HG's point. This type of thing really bugged me growing up. was commiting a mortal sin every day! sudying Physiology and embryology as well as evolution and basic biology proved to me I was simply a human experiencing natural drives. I still believed in God, and accepted that he made me that way. Realizing this it made no sense to believe God actually thought what you are qouting Jesus as saying. I am quite convinced that wasn't Jesus talking, but a Ghost writer! I did waste a lot of my teen years reviling myself for being a normal human, thanks to Catholicism.

h

Moves
09 Nov 05

please xcuse my typing. This is a work keyboard and it skips alot of keys.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
09 Nov 05

no, he's not okay with it. but if you ask his forgiveness and are trully sorry he shall forgive you. if he was okay with it you wouldn't need forgiven, would you?

and it is possible to look at girls without lusting after them, shocking though this may seem!...

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Nov 05

and it is possible to look at girls without lusting after them, shocking though this may seem!...
Jedi mind power technique?

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
09 Nov 05

Jedi mind power technique?
possibly, possibly, or just relise that there is more to life than sex. i still look at girls, i still think they are cute, hot etc. i just don't look at the girl in the short skirt, or the girl dancing wearing nothing but a skirt and body paints (true story). i also don't think to myself-waw, i'd like to bed that one! it's weird and complicated and rather hard to explain. although stopping masturbating helps. a lot.

S

Moves
09 Nov 05

possibly, possibly, or just relise that there is more to life than sex. i still look at girls, i still think they are cute, hot etc. i just don't look at the girl in the short skirt, or the girl dancing wearing nothing but a skirt and body paints (true story). i also don't think to myself-waw, i'd like to bed that one! it's weird and complicated and rather hard to explain. although stopping masturbating helps. a lot.
What? How can stopping masturbating assist with lowering sex drive?

P.S. There's nothing more to life than sex.