1. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 19:25
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Why do you think god allowed certain kings to have 1000 wives, yet condemns people of today's age as adulterers for merely looking and lusting?!
    he didn't allow it, thus their exile to babylon
  2. Standard memberASROMA
    Forza Azzurri!!!!!!!
    WC Champs 2006
    Moves
    14 Nov '05 14:04
    Originally posted by helpmespock
    I agree with this quite a bit, but have to put Islam in the same boat. Which of the two has done more of the things you say is debatable, but I do find the Qu'ran to be laced with even more violence and calls to take up violence in the name of Allah. I think it is hilarious how both religions propose their God is so filled with anger and retribution....seems like something a human might come up with....
    Please cite the verses in the Qu'raan.

I agree that the Qu'raan also teaches you to live in mortal terror, but as for 'taking up violence', I'm not so sure.

Some proof please.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Nov '05 22:401 edit
    Originally posted by genius
    he didn't allow it, thus their exile to babylon
    Which king are you talking about?

EDIT: Remember the story of David and Bathsheba? God's prophet tells David that he could have had even more wives if he had just asked. He didn't just allow it, he helped make it happen.
  4. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 10:401 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Which king are you talking about?

EDIT: Remember the story of David and Bathsheba? God's prophet tells David that he could have had even more wives if he had just asked. He didn't just allow it, he helped make it happen.
    the wifes of the kings were, arguably, on of the downfalls of israel. they brought in foreign religions and polluted the kingdom (sometimes) with their evil. remember jezebel?

and the story of david and bathseba is a good example of why lust is bad. and where does it say that he could have more wifes if he just asked?
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 15:03
    Originally posted by KnightWulfe
    Something within the Christian Doctrine that supports it? How about 5000 years of teaching that God is to be feared? The teaching that God is responsible for all and that all things happen for a reason? How about the vile Inquisition or worse, the Spanish Inquisition? How about the teaching of the Roman Catholics that true piety can only be achieved thro ...[text shortened]... h of the religion in 3000 B.C. and the followers of Yaweh until the many denominations of today.
    I'm sorry. Your tirade notwithstanding, you seem to have misunderstood. I was requesting specifically for a part of Christian doctrine which clearly states that having a miscarriage is a punishable offence.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 19:16
    Originally posted by genius
    the wifes of the kings were, arguably, on of the downfalls of israel. they brought in foreign religions and polluted the kingdom (sometimes) with their evil. remember jezebel?

and the story of david and bathseba is a good example of why lust is bad. and where does it say that he could have more wifes if he just asked?
    The wives of the kings weren't the problem; the kings themselves turned to other gods (without any mentioned of spousal coersion) on several occasions.

2 Sam 12:8 says:
    8 I gave your master's house to you, and your master's wives into your arms. I gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

In fact, it goes even further than I gave it credit for. I guess the only thing he was guilty of was not asking god to steal Bathsheba for him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree