1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 03:18
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    Does it matter when?
    Only if you make the claim that the two posts are at the same time.

Nemesio
  2. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 03:30
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    That seder includes passover on the 14th and the feast of unleven bread on the 15th
    23:5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD's
    passover.
    23:6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of
    unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened
    bread.
    You are confusing two things.

The Feast of Unleavened Bread is seven days long (eight in the Diaspora).

This is not relevent to the discussion, except in as much as the Passover Seder
    is celebrated on the evening before the first daytime part of that Festival. The
    Seder is a single day in Israel (always has been), taking place on the evening
    of 14 Nissan on the Jewish calendar. On the morning of 14 Nissan, the Paschal
    lamb was sacrificed.

The issue is that, because of the details the Gospel of St John indicate unequivocably
    that the Last Supper could not have been the Passover Seder (because the Jews feared
    defilement for the eating of the Passover on the morning of His scourging), but the
    Synoptic Gospels make clear that the Passover was the Passover Seder because
    the Paschal lamb was sacrificed.

To answer Omnislash's question: does it matter? Only if you claim both are right! If
    you claim that the Bible has no errors in matters of history, then it certainly does matter.
    If you accept (as I do) that the Gospel of St John is very likely a non-historical account,
    but a theological reflection upon what Jesus symbolized as the Son of God, then the change
    in the historical detail enhances the theological message -- it emphasizes the sacrificial
    nature of Jesus's actions.

My argument is that a literal reading of many Biblical accounts obscures a meaningful
    theological interpretation and, given the significant number of irreconcilable literal contradictions,
    such a reading should be naturally avoided.

As such, I offer this very important scene in Christian theology, one which no historical
    fact can deny: These accounts cannot be reconciled, thus any claim to the utter literalness
    of Biblical history is necessarily invalid.

Nemesio
  3. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 04:031 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio

is celebrated on the evening before the first day ...[text shortened]... iteralness

Nemesio
    While I do not wish to diminish your rational point here my friend, I disagree that these two points with the stone moving can not be reconciled . I fail to see the difference in timing. I believe the exact point at which we see differently is at Matthew 28:2. specifically, "There was". I believe you are reading it as to mean present tense. I read it past tense (i.e. "Now there had been"😉. For myself, I find it clear from the parallel acounts that the event occurred before the woman actually arrived at the tomb.

If I can find the time, I will tackle the other"discrepency" tonight. Otheriwse, perhaps tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Omnislash

4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 09:12
    While I do not wish to diminish your rational point here my friend, I disagree that these two points with the stone moving can not be reconciled . I fail to see the difference in timing. I believe the exact point at which we see differently is at Matthew 28:2. specifically, "There was". I believe you are reading it as to mean present tense. I read it pas ...[text shortened]... he other"discrepency" tonight. Otheriwse, perhaps tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Omnislash

You may choose to read it with whatever tenses you want.

What is in the Greek, however, is not subject to interpretation.

St Matthew has the simple past throughout -- the women arrive wondering
    how they will move the stone, and then an angel arrives.

St Mark has the women looking up and seeing the stone having been removed.
    The translation note from the United Bible Societes (a very conservative Bible Studies
    organization) Translation Handbook reads that anakekulistai is "not technically a
    passive, in that the women saw the stone actually being rolled back. What they saw was
    the state of the stone in a rolled-back position. This means that in some languages one
    must translate either as pluperfect passive of process, e.g., 'had been rolled back' or as
    a poast state, e.g., 'was in a rolled-back position.'"

However, your claim about St Matthew (and I never said anything was in 'present tense'😉
    is incorrect. The use of simple past indicates order: the women went to the tomb, an
    earthquake happened, an angel came, rolled back the stone, sat upon, and spoke (a
    summary of all the active verbs in 28:1-5).

These are not reconcilable accounts. You can twist the translation however you want in
    order to make them match, but doing so does not reflect the original text.

Nemesio
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 09:55

is celebrated on the evening before the first daytime part of that Festival. The
    Seder is a single day in Israel (always has been), taking place on the evening
    of 14 ...[text shortened]... thus any claim to the utter literalness

Nemesio
    I don't think I am tho here's where I got that info

http://www.holidays.net/passover/seder.html

Exo 12:6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

Exo 12:8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.

Exo 12:10 And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; and that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire.

Exo 12:10 And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; and that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire.

Not my field of expertise, what time does the day change?

6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 10:45
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    I don't think I am tho here's where I got that info

http://www.holidays.net/passover/seder.html

Exo 12:6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

Exo 12:8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleaven ...[text shortened]... ye shall burn with fire.

Not my field of expertise, what time does the day change?

6 o'clock in the evening
  7. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 22:071 edit
    You may choose to read it with whatever tenses you want.

What is in the Greek, however, is not subject to interpretation.

St Matthew has the simple past throughout -- the women arrive wondering
    how they will move the stone, an ...[text shortened]... but doing so does not reflect the original text.

Nemesio
    Well, I am sorry to hear that you think I am "twisting" the text. I am glad to see that you have a source for your unbending view.

The International Bible Society, The New York Bible Society, The Palos Heights scholars from both the Christian Reformed Church and the National Association of Evangelicals scholars, and the Committe on Bible Translation all agree with my statement.

Indeed, my comment is almost identical to the notation in the NIV for Matthew 28:2.

So, if I am "twisting" words, then I must most humbly apologize. Regardless, I regret that we apparently can not see eye to eye on this.

Best Regards,

Omnislash
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Jun '05 05:53
    Well, I am sorry to hear that you think I am "twisting" the text. I am glad to see that you have a source for your unbending view.

The International Bible Society, The New York Bible Society, The Palos Heights scholars from both the Christian Reformed Church and the National Association of Evangelicals scholars, and the Committe on Bible Translation ...[text shortened]... ss, I regret that we apparently can not see eye to eye on this.

Best Regards,

Omnislash
    They are not disagreeing with 'my view.'

They are disagreeing with the Greek texts as found in the original in an effort
    to maintain the illusion of literally inerrancy. The reason that they are able to
    do so is because people remain ignorant of the contents of the Greek manuscripts
    which are the basis for translation.

So, unless you wish to debate that 'had been moved' and 'was moved' entail the
    same meaning, you and they haven't a logical leg to stand on.

Sorry.

Nemesio
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Jun '05 05:53

The International Bible Society, The New York Bible Society, The Palos Heights scholars from both the Christian Reformed Church and the National Association of Evangelicals scholars, and the Committe on Bible Translation ...[text shortened]... ss, I regret that we apparently can not see eye to eye on this.

Best Regards,

Omnislash

to maintain the illusion of literally inerrancy. The reason that they are able to
    do so is because people remain ignorant of the contents of the Greek manuscripts

So, unless you wish to debate that 'had been moved' and 'was moved' entail the

Sorry.

Nemesio
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Jun '05 05:54
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    6 o'clock in the evening
    Inprecise.

Sundown. The 'next day' begins when the Sun goes down.

Nemesio
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '05 09:47
    Inprecise.

Sundown. The 'next day' begins when the Sun goes down.

Nemesio
    Are you saying that they started with the passover meal untill the sun was down?
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Jun '05 18:27
    Are you saying that they started with the passover meal untill the sun was down?
    There are many rituals which precede the Passover meal which occur
    before sundown (e.g., the sacrifice of the Passover lamb).

However, the Seder traditionally does not take place before sundown,
    which can be at varying times depending on when Passover takes
    place.

I can look up the specific requirements (it is similar to the timing of
    Easter in that it has to do with the moon and the equinox) later, if you
    would like.

Nemesio
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '05 18:36
    There are many rituals which precede the Passover meal which occur
    before sundown (e.g., the sacrifice of the Passover lamb).

However, the Seder traditionally does not take place before sundown,
    which can be at varying times depending on when Passover takes
    place.

I can look up the specific requirements (it is similar to the timing of
    Easter in that it has to do with the moon and the equinox) later, if you
    would like.

Nemesio
    So does this not answer your question on whether Christ was crucified before or after the Pascha?
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Jun '05 21:25
    So does this not answer your question on whether Christ was crucified before or after the Pascha?
    That last post was in response to your other post.

To review: Sts Mark, Matthew, Luke -- Jesus ate the Passover with
    his Disciples at the Last Supper. Thus the Passover was eaten BEFORE
    Jesus was crucified.

St John has Jews (not in the Diaspora!) worried about entering the
    praetorium for fear of defiling themselves so that they can eat that
    Passover that evening. Thus the Passover was eaten AFTER Jesus was
    crucified.

One is wrong: which is it DJ?

Nemesio
  15. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    07 Jun '05 21:48

So, unless you wish to deba ...[text shortened]... entail the

Sorry.

Nemesio
    I want to be certain I understand your position. Let me express to you what I believe you are saying.

The English translations of the Bible are not accurately translated. The mistranslation was done so on purpose.

'had been' and 'was' can not, and do not, mean the same thing. (i.e. If I say "I had been there" it means something different than "I was there".)

If I do not understand your position correctly, please elaborate and/or correct my statement here so that I might understand. I assume that your position exists because you have earnest and logical cause for it, and would like to know more about it. I am exceptionally interested in it as you contend that my sources (all the major credible translating organizations of the past fifty years) are all wrong. Please understand that I do not wish to dispute you. I am simply stating why I have cause to beleive as I do, and would like to know more of why you hold you opposing stance and how you refute my sources.

Best Regards,

Omnislash

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree