1. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Dec '11 19:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Next time, make sure you read an article before posting your cut and paste lies, then,
    when you are called out on it, you wont look like a total tool!
    The article you posted said that its up to parents and then it said this ..

".. additional years of college education may present snares. One may become “brainwashed” by human philosophies so that faith in God and the Bible is destroyed. Many college and university courses are based on false theories, such as evolution, that bolster the old system of things, which will soon pass away forever. A goodly number of the professors have no faith in God or in the Bible and actively teach their godless beliefs. Moreover, there is the corrupting influence that the college atmosphere often has on morals, including the danger of drug addiction .."
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 01:013 edits
    Today, there are many teen-age baptized servants of Jehovah. Their personal study,
    preparation for meetings and sharing in the Theocratic Ministry School have given
    them a basic knowledge of Bible truth for Christian preaching. [b]They have also
    benefited by education in the public schools.
    But how far should they go with a
    secular education? ...[text shortened]... d view
    of education now can help to make their enjoyment of God’s spiritual paradise
    complete.[/b]
    I read your two big original posts very closely. It seems the emphasis is on basic education (i.e., high school) required by law and maybe non-degreed technical training.

In contrast, it comes across generally discouraging with regard to higher education or further education, as if such is not really needed in that one can typically provide a living for their family without higher education, and that higher or further education generally presents more problems than it is worth.

But how far should they go with a secular education? It would hardly be consistent for such a youth, of his own choice, to pursue extensive secular studies beyond what is required by the law and by his parents.

Not a big emphasis on going to college. Maybe a trade school to get a technical certificate is ok. No suggestion to get at least a 4 year Bachelors degree as I strongly suggest to my kids. Plus, I comment to my kids it helps to function and work in society to get a well-rounded education at a university and to be exposed to various facets of society. Conversely, I see discouragement in your posts from getting a secular education beyond what is required by law (high school).

To be sure, sased on your posts, I don't see how the Watchtower would condone getting a pHD because that is really never needed in any society to make a living. And undenialy that seems well beyond what is required by law or what good JW parents would require I would assume.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 01:151 edit
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I read your two big original posts very closely. It seems the emphasis is on basic education (i.e., high school) required by law and maybe technical training.

In contrast, it comes across generally discouraging with regard to higher education or further education, as if such is not really needed in that one can typically provide a living for their famil ...[text shortened]... at is required by the law and by his parents.[/quote]

Not a big emphasis on going to college.
    Sir, have you any idea of the number of students who go to university, spend thirty
    thousand pounds on getting a degree and end up working in a call centre? The
    article states, that is some cases it may be advantageous to pursue further
    education, but you are correct i think in your evaluation, our focus has always been
    on vocational education, but even here, its entirely up to the individual and their
    parents, contrary to the claims of the op and his second hand cut and pastes from
    some hate site that he frequents,

Why Did 17 Million Students Go to College?

October 20, 2010, 9:53 am

By Richard Vedder

Two sets of information were presented to me in the last 24 hours that have
    dramatically reinforced my feeling that diminishing returns have set in to
    investments in higher education, with increasing evidence suggesting that we are in
    one respect “overinvesting” in the field. First, following up on information provided
    by former student Douglas Himes at the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), my
    sidekick Chris Matgouranis showed me the table reproduced below (And for more
    see this).

Over 317,000 waiters and waitresses have college degrees (over 8,000 of them
    have doctoral or professional degrees), along with over 80,000 bartenders, and over
    18,000 parking lot attendants. All told, some 17,000,000 Americans with college
    degrees are doing jobs that the BLS says require less than the skill levels associated
    with a bachelor’s degree.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/innovations/why-did-17-million-students-go-to-college/27634

😲
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 01:211 edit
    Sir, have you any idea of the number of students who go to university, spend thirty
    education, but you are correct i think in your evaluation, our focus has always been
    on vocational educati ...[text shortened]...

http://chronicle.com/blogs/innovations/why-did-17-million-students-go-to-college/27634

😲
    So the suggestion to your kids is (will be) to get a high school diploma but not go to college. And if go to college, to only get vocational training and not a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree?

I see what your points are generally, but I was curious to know in your specific situation. Ok if you don't answer.

As for me, I got a B.S. degree in chemical engineering and worked for several years as a chemical engineer. Then I got a law degree and now work as a patent attorney.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 01:32
    on vocational educati ...[text shortened]...

😲
    I got this from YOUR article ..

".. additional years of college education may present snares. One may become “brainwashed” by human philosophies so that faith in God and the Bible is destroyed. Many college and university courses are based on false theories, such as evolution, that bolster the old system of things, which will soon pass away forever. A goodly number of the professors have no faith in God or in the Bible and actively teach their godless beliefs. Moreover, there is the corrupting influence that the college atmosphere often has on morals, including the danger of drug addiction .."

Note what it says .. that the WT org is advising parents that a college education ..

- Brainwashes students
    - Teaches false theories such as evolution
    - Professors teach Godless beliefs
    - College could corrupt students with bad morals and drugs.

Clearly there is a directive to steer away from college education.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 01:32
    So the suggestion to your kids is (will be) to get a high school diploma but not go to college. And if go to college, to only get vocational training and not a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree?

I see what your points are generally, but I was curious to know in your specific situation. Ok if you don't answer.

As for me, I got a B.S. deg ...[text shortened]... veral years as a chemical engineer. Then I got a law degree and now work as a patent attorney.
    No the suggestion is, that its entirely up to the parents what education they or their
    children peruse, perhaps i didn't highlight it often enough, who can say?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 01:342 edits
    ot this from YOUR article ..

".. additional years of college education may present snares. One may become “brainwashed” by human philosophies so that faith in God and the Bible is destroyed. Many college and university courses are based on false theories, such as evolution, that bolster the old system of things, which will soon pass away forever. A th bad morals and drugs.

Clearly there is a directive to steer away from college education.
    who cares what you got from it, you never even read it before you posted your cut and
    paste lies, that makes you a fraud, so get the heck away from me.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 02:06
    who cares what you got from it, you never even read it before you posted your cut and
    paste lies, that makes you a fraud, so get the heck away from me.
    You still don't get that the Watchtower Society is a big fraud.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 02:09

As for me, I got a B.S. deg ...[text shortened]... veral years as a chemical engineer. Then I got a law degree and now work as a patent attorney.
    Yes the bottom line it is up to the individuals involved. No one in the congregations, even the elders unless asked for advice, will say anything to anyone about this. At least they shouldn't.
    But according to the examples through out the Bible and especially in Jesus time it wasn't the norm for God's people to pursue a higher education and there are many reasons for that. But the utmost one is we are suposed to be following Jesus comands to us to be as involved as we can in the preaching and teaching work that he demonstrated himself and also commanded us to do.
    Our goal in life is to do as he said and in turn share the messages Jesus shared himself and in turn hope we can find ones that are interested.
    Sure for ones who decide to do as Jesus said it can cause problems with ones style of life and sometimes it can be hard but it keeps our life's simple and from our point of view we are usually very happy and satisfied.
    As was mentioned before ones with higher educations can have all the honor of being scientist and doctors and lawyers like yourself if that's they way you go and we do appreciate the ones that have followed that course as it helps us all now. But what we do hopefully will help ones life in the future to come.
    Just a different view of things.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 02:18
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Lol, its all you can do, isn't it, sit in front of your PC and criticise, how Christian.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 02:19
    It's so narrow minded to look at the few simple mistakes and the few unpolished things the WTC did, especially in the early days and things that have been corrected over time, and continually focus on that instead of opening your tiny little eyes and not seeing the millions of people that not only now have a bright view of the future in their hearts that God promisses, even in your Bible that apparently your tinny little eyes has never read, and all the people that now know their God and with help from him have been able to clean up their life's from drugs, sexual immorality, crime and who knows what else.
    You and Raj are about as dumb as it gets here and have no insight to anything good and wholesome that I or anyone can detect.
    Your down in some evil dark and nasty sewer pit and I feel sorry that your'e both probably so far down in it you'll probably never get out. I wish you both would just crawl away somewhere............
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 02:43
    Lol, its all you can do, isn't it, sit in front of your PC and criticise, how Christian.
    I am doing you a favor by telling you the truth that you would rather be
    ignorant to. 😴
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 02:45
    Originally posted by galveston75
    It's so narrow minded to look at the few simple mistakes and the few unpolished things the WTC did, especially in the early days and things that have been corrected over time, and continually focus on that instead of opening your tiny little eyes and not seeing the millions of people that not only now have a bright view of the future in their hearts tha ...[text shortened]... t you'll probably never get out. I wish you both would just crawl away somewhere............
    Just two dummies proclaiming the truth of God. 😴
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 02:46
    I am doing you a favor by telling you the truth that you would rather be
    ignorant to. 😴
    Lol...You've shown nothing but out right foolishness and have proved nothing. Sorry for all yor hard work though...
  15. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 04:10
    Just two dummies proclaiming the truth of God. 😴
    RJ, these two are just as devout in their faith as you are to yours. If there is a God, wouldn't he want you to accept your fellow man for who they are rather than who you want them to be. Sure missionary work is probably a big part of your focus in life, but you are going about it in a totally wrong way. You do your God a disservice by acting the way you do on this website. You push your faith on everyone until they are so fed up with you, they would reject your religion (even if it was right), just on account of you being an ass.

Athiests can be very pushy too, just because we don't understand why people reject logic and instead leave everything up to a higher power they can't prove even exists. No one is perfect, not even you. You have become a joke on this forum, and its your own fault.

My family claims to have the one true faith also. They have tried till they are blue in the face to change my mind about what I believe. As an atheist, I believe that I should do the right thing, wherever I go. Do I always do this... no, but as I said before, no one is perfect. I hold myself to a high standard of morals, and willl teach my two little boys those standards. I want them to love life and keep an open mind. If they choose God, I would respect their decision, even if I don't agree with it.

You need to think about how you portray yourself, and ask yourself if you really think you are doing the right thing by constantly making a fool of yourself all in the name of your God. If the answer is yes, by all means continue and drive people here further away. You can repersent your faith responsibly without becoming a hypocrite.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree