1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 04:31
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    RJ, these two are just as devout in their faith as you are to yours. If there is a God, wouldn't he want you to accept your fellow man for who they are rather than who you want them to be. Sure missionary work is probably a big part of your focus in life, but you are going about it in a totally wrong way. You do your God a disservice by acting the way you d ...[text shortened]... le here further away. You can repersent your faith responsibly without becoming a hypocrite.
    Thank you and well said. I truely believe he's a good guy but my gosh this is getting old to say the least. We've been putting up with Rajj doing this pointless blubbering and now we have another.
    Why can't they see this stuff is getting no where. Maybe they need to try something different but these guys are ruining this forum.....
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 05:013 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No the suggestion is, that its entirely up to the parents what education they or their
    children peruse, perhaps i didn't highlight it often enough, who can say?
    No I understand your general point. Thanks. It is clear. While the Watchtower discourages secular eductation beyond high school or vocational training, it is completely up to the parents to decide if their 18-year old or older kid goes to college, and if the parent and family decides so, it is ok and completely up to the family, even to the point of getting a doctorate and doing post-doc study. Perfectly fine with the Watchtower because it is completely in the parent's and family discretion.

My question was a personal one to you. Will you suggest to your kids to go to college?

I ask that question is light of the Watchtower comments discouraging going to college and in light of your post about college graduates being waiters.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 05:171 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes the bottom line it is up to the individuals involved. No one in the congregations, even the elders unless asked for advice, will say anything to anyone about this. At least they shouldn't.
    But according to the examples through out the Bible and especially in Jesus time it wasn't the norm for God's people to pursue a higher education and there are m do hopefully will help ones life in the future to come.
    Just a different view of things.
    It sounds like the elders leave you alone and let you make your own decision about going to college.

Currently, I am recommending to my teenage daughter to go to a major university and get a 4-yr degree.

My question is a personal one to you. In light of the discouragement by the Watchtower (noted in the orignal post) of pursuing education beyound that required by law (high school), what will you likely suggest to your kids regarding going to college. What is your best guess.

Will you recommend to your kids to go to college and get a 4-year degree, or will you suggest they stick with the high school diploma or at most get vocational training, such obtaining a certificate and to be an electrician, plumber, etc.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 10:251 edit
    Originally posted by moon1969
    No I understand your general point. Thanks. It is clear. While the Watchtower discourages secular eductation beyond high school or vocational training, it is completely up to the parents to decide if their 18-year old or older kid goes to college, and if the parent and family decides so, it is ok and completely up to the family, even to the point of gett discouraging going to college and in light of your post about college graduates being waiters.
    you know its quite interesting, at a recent teacher and parent interview (we have
    them twice a year in the UK) the teacher was asking what my kid hoped to do in the
    future and like all academics, she felt that university was the key to a successful and
    happy future. I myself felt it quite a naive stance, for very recently i had been
    going from house to house as is our custom and spoke to a lady whose husband was
    a surgeon, they lived in a rather large Victorian, mansion, and she was really
    hurting, she stated that her marraige was over, her husband was interested in
    nothing but money and sex and their seven children had suffered greatly because of
    his constant absence. She was in the process of moving her things out, she couldn't
    take any more.

I relate this too you because it highlights a rather interesting phenomena, that
    having a successful career as a professional and all the material benefits that go
    with it does not in itself guarantee happiness. I want my child to be a happy and
    fulfilled individual, if that means going to university, then that will be fine, if it means
    training for a vocational course that is also fine, i really dont mind as long as they
    are happy.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 10:34
    you know its quite interesting, at a recent teacher and parent interview (we have
    them twice a year in the UK) the teacher was asking what my kid hoped to do in the
    future and like all academics, she felt that university was the key to a successful and
    happy future. I myself felt it quite a naive stance, for very recently i had been
    going fr ...[text shortened]... ning for a vocational course that is also fine, i really dont mind as long as they
    are happy.
    The moral of the story - 'Don't become a surgeon'. 😕
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 10:43
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The moral of the story - 'Don't become a surgeon'. 😕
    no the moral is, is education the key to a happy and successful future

by the way, what's with the Totenkopf avatar?
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 10:531 edit

Firstly, happiness comes from within, but there is no denying education can open up more opportunities. It depends on what someone's goals are.

As for the avatar, it's a skull with a Santa hat on but it's a tad too small.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 11:061 edit
    Firstly, happiness comes from within, but there is no denying education can open up more opportunities. It depends on what someone's goals are.

yes it can, let me relate another instance from my life of high rollin, I was once
    called to the Hilton hotel in Glasgow, which,. if you've ever been in a Hilton has the
    pretence of being quite posh, dudes with red coats etc etc A man wanted some
    literature, now being somewhat apprehensive i was shown by the concierge to his
    room, it turns out that he was an airline pilot and he wanted out, a witness had
    spoken to him and he had expressed interest in obtaining literature about our beliefs
    , so that if he entered teaching or social work (this was his aim) he would know how
    to relate to Witness kids. When i asked him why? he stated that his job was
    nothing more than a glorified bus driver (his words) and he was fed up with it,
    sleeping in hotels and going from a to b and back again. I thought it was quite an
    interesting perspective myself, he had come to the realisation, that despite his job
    and his salary that it was making him unhappy and he wanted to reach out for
    something more fulfilling. I gave him some literature, he gave me lots of little
    airline miniatures and biscuits and I said thankyou and parted, wishing him every
    success.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 11:34

Remove the education and the woman would have had a philandering postman husband and instead 8 kids who never see him.

A little more education in your head would have helped you to understand what is 'cause and effect ' and not simply to twist life to suit the JWs directives.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 13:58
    yes it can, let me relate another instance from my life of high rollin, I was once
    called to the Hilton hotel in Glasgow, which,. if you've ever been in a Hilton has the
    room, it turns ou ...[text shortened]...
    airline miniatures and biscuits and I said thankyou and parted, wishing him every
    success.
    People get bored of the same routine and seek new challenges and stimulation. I fail to see that as revelatory?!
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 14:50

That's a accurate representation, I imagine. 😀
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 16:391 edit
    going fr ning for a vocational course that is also fine, i really dont mind as long as they
    are happy.
    clearly the surgeon in this example was unable to find happiness.

for the sake of argument, lets assume your child says he wants to be surgeon. What advice would you give him to ensure that he doesn't end up like the unhappy surgeon?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 16:581 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    clearly the surgeon in this example was unable to find happiness.

for the sake of argument, lets assume your child says he wants to be surgeon. What advice would you give him to ensure that he doesn't end up like the unhappy surgeon?
    well, we have a scriptural responsibility to look after our families,

(1 Timothy 5:8) . . .Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own,
    and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the
    faith and is worse than a person without faith.

clearly this surgeon had neglected to look after his wife, her emotional and spiritual
    needs and clearly he had neglected spending the most precious commodity he had
    with his children, his time! This appears to me to be a good place to start, you
    wanna be a surgeon, make sure you take time out for your family, work part time if
    you can, this would be my advice.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 18:27
    Originally posted by moon1969
    It sounds like the elders leave you alone and let you make your own decision about going to college.

Currently, I am recommending to my teenage daughter to go to a major university and get a 4-yr degree.

My question is a personal one to you. In light of the discouragement by the Watchtower (noted in the orignal post) of pursuing education beyound t ...[text shortened]... st get vocational training, such obtaining a certificate and to be an electrician, plumber, etc.
    Thanks and my kids are in their mid and late thirties so I think their past the college thing and no they didn't go when they were younger.
    We never encouraged or discouraged them to go that way but they both at different times did a share in the full time ministry work for a few years which was their decision to do.
    Thanks again...
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 18:39
    room, it turns ou ...[text shortened]...
    success.
    And their are many that have the higher degrees in education that are no doubt happy. But the Bible says that the "love of money is the root of all evil".
    Now true there are many that truly get into a professional field because of the love of it. Medicine, sports, the law, etc, etc.
    But who are the first to panic when the economy falls? How many suicides happen among the rich when the economy falls?
    I have no numbers to post but I just know it seems to really be in the news when this last fall happened.
    And it's unbelieveable how many of the rich are being caught in illeagal activities with scams, sexual misconduct and just an overall attitude of being above morals and laws.
    It seems from an average viewpoint that money doesn't bring the happiness that some think it will bring.
    Money certianly does have a bad affect on ones thinking it seems.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree