1. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    And their are many that have the higher degrees in education that are no doubt happy. But the Bible says that the "love of money is the root of all evil".
    Now true there are many that truly get into a professional field because of the love of it. Medicine, sports, the law, etc, etc.
    But who are the first to panic when the economy falls? How many suic ome think it will bring.
    Money certianly does have a bad affect on ones thinking it seems.
    Making money / becoming rich AND Education are two separate and distinct things.
    The fact that both you and Robbie keep mixing up the two strongly implies that its also the WT brainwashing strategy to get people to shy away from education because of the association with money.

As for kids .. the strongest influence you or the social circle [JWs] can have on them is not what you tell them directly as you stating [that they can do what they like], but its by example. Its by how you conduct your life and the things you say indirectly without saying a word, and by what you say of others who are educated.

The message which everyone here is getting from you and Robbie from your mouth is that education is fine if thats what you want. On the contrary the indirect message which we are getting from other statements is that education is a waste of time. That much is crystal clear.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 21:571 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you know its quite interesting, at a recent teacher and parent interview (we have
    them twice a year in the UK) the teacher was asking what my kid hoped to do in the
    future and like all academics, she felt that university was the key to a successful and
    happy future. I myself felt it quite a naive stance, for very recently i had been
    going fr ning for a vocational course that is also fine, i really dont mind as long as they
    are happy.
    Thanks for the response. It is about being happy, and not about being rich monetarily, for instance. I agree with that. That's for sure. I scaled down my job and make less money, but have a much better quality of life, and get to spend a lot of time and flexibility with my kids. And you seem like you will be encouraging to your kid no matter what they choose.

Yet, you seem more tolerant than the long Watchtower text you quoted in the OP. An excerpt:

But how far should they go with a secular education? It would hardly be consistent for such a youth, of his own choice, to pursue extensive secular studies beyond what is required by the law and by his parents.

After re-reading your OP, it seems the Watchtower encourages parents to give guidance to their kids not to continue secular education beyong that required by law. At most maybe a vocational certificate. And that the Watchtower just does not want JW kids exposed to the proliferation of ideas commonly found in the university setting.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 22:02
    Originally posted by galveston75
    And their are many that have the higher degrees in education that are no doubt happy. But the Bible says that the "love of money is the root of all evil".
    Now true there are many that truly get into a professional field because of the love of it. Medicine, sports, the law, etc, etc.
    But who are the first to panic when the economy falls? How many suic ...[text shortened]... ome think it will bring.
    Money certianly does have a bad affect on ones thinking it seems.
    Thanks.

By the way, I haven't been to Galveston in a while. Used to go all the time.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 22:36
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Thanks.

They used to have a very nice beach on the Gulf of Mexico.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 22:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    They used to have a very nice beach on the Gulf of Mexico.
    Galveston is not the whitest or cleanest beach, but it is still nice and it was also convenient. A 45-minute car ride and free close parking on the sea wall, and then immediately on the beach. The kids loved it. We would be on the beach for hours. Sometimes would splurge and stay in the nice San Luis hotel, especially in the offseason when it was cheaper. Also, go to both the Strand and Moody Gardens in Galveston.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 23:34
    Thanks.

I miss it a lot. I haven't been there since 93'. You should still join the Lone Star club..We'd love to have you.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 23:36
    Galveston is not the whitest or cleanest beach, but it is still nice and it was also convenient. A 45-minute car ride and free close parking on the sea wall, and then immediately on the beach. The kids loved it. We would be on the beach for hours. Sometimes would splurge and stay in the nice San Luis hotel, especially in the offseason when it was cheaper. Also, go to both the Strand and Moody Gardens in Galveston.
    And the beaches are actuially nicer now more then ever as I see they've rebuilt them way out with new sand.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '11 00:12
    Thanks for the response. It is about being happy, and not about being rich monetarily, for instance. I agree with that. That's for sure. I scaled down my job and make less money, but have a much better quality of life, and get to spend a lot of time and flexibility with my kids. And you seem like you will be encouraging to your kid no matter what they c ...[text shortened]... ot want JW kids exposed to the proliferation of ideas commonly found in the university setting.
    I scaled down my job and make less money, but have a much better quality of life, and get to spend a lot of time and flexibility with my kids

commendable and admirable, time is the most precious commodity we have,
    relationships are all that is important me thinks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree