1. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41995
    04 Jan '06 12:45
    If god has a plan for every part of our lifes, and what happens is the will of god, what is the point of free will? is this not like bieng given a bicycle to cross the atlantic ocean?

    please discuss
  2. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    181
    04 Jan '06 13:50
    God does have a plan for each of our lives, much like our parents did for us when we were in high school. But we're not required to follow that plan, much like high school.
    The problem is that everything that happens isn't in the will of God, due to our exercising our free will. Thus we have wars, etc.
    Think of God was a good parent. He has plans for our future based on His experience and what He knows is best for us. But, much like a rebellious child, we don't follow His plan, and thus get ourselves into trouble. And just like a good parent, He's always willing to lend a hand to get us out of trouble, but we have to ask for it first. If He just swooped in and fixed things for us, we'd just make the same mistakes again. Because of His love for us, He wants us to learn from our misakes (much like a good parent).

    Daniel
  3. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    11774
    04 Jan '06 14:20
    Originally posted by DanielPasono
    God does have a plan for each of our lives, much like our parents did for us when we were in high school. But we're not required to follow that plan, much like high school.
    The problem is that everything that happens isn't in the will of God, due to our exercising our free will. Thus we have wars, etc.
    Think of God was a good parent. He has plans fo ...[text shortened]... His love for us, He wants us to learn from our misakes (much like a good parent).

    Daniel
    Are you saying we will become Gods ourselves when we "grow up"? Alright!!! I'm in, man!
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223260
    04 Jan '06 17:18
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    If god has a plan for every part of our lifes, and what happens is the will of god, what is the point of free will? is this not like bieng given a bicycle to cross the atlantic ocean?

    please discuss
    Well Then I guess you need to start going to church and finding out what the word of God is telling you.
  5. Colorado
    Joined
    11 May '04
    Moves
    11981
    04 Jan '06 19:50
    Originally posted by DanielPasono
    God does have a plan for each of our lives, much like our parents did for us when we were in high school. But we're not required to follow that plan, much like high school.
    The problem is that everything that happens isn't in the will of God, due to our exercising our free will. Thus we have wars, etc.
    Think of God was a good parent. He has plans fo ...[text shortened]... His love for us, He wants us to learn from our misakes (much like a good parent).

    Daniel
    I agree. Well said.
  6. Colorado
    Joined
    11 May '04
    Moves
    11981
    04 Jan '06 19:51
    Originally posted by stocken
    Are you saying we will become Gods ourselves when we "grow up"? Alright!!! I'm in, man!
    I knew you would come around! 🙂
  7. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    11774
    04 Jan '06 19:53
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    I knew you would come around! 🙂
    😵
  8. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41995
    05 Jan '06 11:06
    Originally posted by DanielPasono
    God does have a plan for each of our lives, much like our parents did for us when we were in high school. But we're not required to follow that plan, much like high school.
    The problem is that everything that happens isn't in the will of God, due to our exercising our free will. Thus we have wars, etc.
    Think of God was a good parent. He has plans fo ...[text shortened]... His love for us, He wants us to learn from our misakes (much like a good parent).

    Daniel
    so you are saying god made a mistake in our design? or are you saying that the misery of war was taken into account at the design stage? What love for the dead who were victims of free will? does god have blood no his hands, or does he blame his bad planning on the free will of others?
  9. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    21533
    05 Jan '06 11:14
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    so you are saying god made a mistake in our design? or are you saying that the misery of war was taken into account at the design stage? What love for the dead who were victims of free will? does god have blood no his hands, or does he blame his bad planning on the free will of others?
    I do not believe his statement made any such claims. Do you wish to make these claims?
  10. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41995
    05 Jan '06 11:32
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    I do not believe his statement made any such claims. Do you wish to make these claims?
    i'm afraid he did. unless i am reading it wrong ,and he does not believe that god created the heaven and the earth, and all within.if he does not, i appologise for the assumption
  11. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    21533
    05 Jan '06 11:431 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    i'm afraid he did. unless i am reading it wrong ,and he does not believe that god created the heaven and the earth, and all within.if he does not, i appologise for the assumption
    No sir, he did not. While it may indeed be logical and accurate for you to assume that by his statement he is of the belief that "god created the heaven and the earth", this does not infer your reply "so you are saying god made a mistake in our design? or are you saying that the misery of war was taken into account at the design stage? What love for the dead who were victims of free will? does god have blood no his hands, or does he blame his bad planning on the free will of others?"

    To the contrary, this leads me to assume that this, rather, is your position. It most certainly is not what he stated. Is this your position sir?
  12. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41995
    05 Jan '06 11:52
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    No sir, he did not. While it may indeed be logical and accurate for you to assume that by his statement he is of the belief that "god created the heaven and the earth", this does not infer your reply "so you are saying god made a mistake in our design? or are you saying that the misery of war was taken into account at the design stage? What love for the de ...[text shortened]... ather, is your position. It most certainly is not what he stated. Is this your position sir?
    it is indeed my position that the creator of everything must take both credit and responsability for his work (or lack of it). if you build a chess board, then play yourself in a game. do you then put the pawn in the fire for his lack of good judgement?
    I am not attacking faith , just questioning the parameters god has been given by the chains of blind faith.
  13. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    21533
    05 Jan '06 12:05
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    it is indeed my position that the creator of everything must take both credit and responsability for his work (or lack of it). if you build a chess board, then play yourself in a game. do you then put the pawn in the fire for his lack of good judgement?
    I am not attacking faith , just questioning the parameters god has been given by the chains of blind faith.
    I have always considered the term 'blind faith' to be amusing. It can be a great many things. Some positive, some not.

    If I understand your position correctly, your position is that God can not exist as both creator and judge and maintain moral perfection. Am I correct? Additionally, is there a particular form of God to which your position is related (Allah, Christ, etc.)? I believe I see where you are going with this, but I need your clarification.
  14. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41995
    05 Jan '06 12:15
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    I have always considered the term 'blind faith' to be amusing. It can be a great many things. Some positive, some not.

    If I understand your position correctly, your position is that God can not exist as both creator and judge and maintain moral perfection. Am I correct? Additionally, is there a particular form of God to which your position is related ( ...[text shortened]... , Christ, etc.)? I believe I see where you are going with this, but I need your clarification.
    just putting the truth behind the myth up for debate. as for witch incarnation of god i am reffering to , i guess i an stuck with the beliefs i grew up with, and question them not the big picture. maybe i presume too much. . . . .point noted
  15. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    21533
    05 Jan '06 12:22
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    just putting the truth behind the myth up for debate. as for witch incarnation of god i am reffering to , i guess i an stuck with the beliefs i grew up with, and question them not the big picture. maybe i presume too much. . . . .point noted
    While I think it good and well you are 'putting the truth behind the myth up for debate', I require you to address my last statement directly if you wish to debate the matter.

    My understanding of your position is that God can not exist as both creator and judge and maintain moral perfection. Am I correct in my understanding?

    Additionally, it is difficult for me to make any sort of a case for OR against God if I do not have God defined. Is there a particular theology which you identify God with? If not, then please say so plainly so I might understand your perception.
Back to Top