1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 15:33
    Hypothetical situation for those of the Christian faith:

A young man is born in the jungle amongst his tribe. He has never heard of Jesus Christ. He dies when he is thirty years old as an upstanding member and leader of his tribe. He still has never heard of Jesus Christ. According to your beliefs, what is the likely destination for his soul?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 15:49
    Originally posted by darvlay

A young man is born in the jungle amongst his tribe. He has never heard of Jesus Christ. He dies when he is thirty years old as an upstanding member and leader of his tribe. He still has never heard of Jesus Christ. According to your beliefs, what is the likely destination for his soul?
    Maybe something like the Green Card Lottery.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 15:56

Heaven.
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:03

heaven
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:07
    And what is the answer if a missionary visited the village and the man in question was not converted?
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And what is the answer if a missionary visited the village and the man in question was not converted?
    heaven
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:151 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Same place you're headed.

EDIT:
    I forgot--- you've been converted. Just changed your mind later. He'll be on the other side of you and heaven.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:202 edits
    Originally posted by duecer
    heaven
    Is that because you believe his good works will earn him a spot in heaven or because you don't believe God would harshly judge someone of virtue based on his limited exposure to and/or rejection of the Gospel?
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:201 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Same place you're headed.

EDIT:
    I forgot--- you've been converted. Just changed your mind later. He'll be on the other side of you and heaven.
    If that is what you believe then what is the point of telling the man about Jesus in the first place?
  10. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:262 edits
    Is that because you believe his good works will earn him a spot in heaven or because you don't believe God would harshly judge someone of virtue based on his limited exposure to and/or rejection of the Gospel?
    because I don't believe that God would judge him harshly because of his limited exposure. Culturally speaking there is zero incentive for him to "change sides". He has been raised and nurtured in his culturaly based faith, to deny that is to deny everything about himself, that may be too much to ask of anyone. I believe that God is merciful.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:39
    because I don't believe that God would judge him harshly because of his limited exposure. Culturally speaking there is zero incentive for him to "change sides". He has been raised and nurtured in his culturaly based faith, to deny that is to deny everything about himself, that may be too much to ask of anyone. I believe that God is merciful.
    So, in this case, this man would be judged upon his works alone and not upon his salvation or belief in Christ. Furthermore, you believe that concessions will be made during judgement for those who are steeped in their own beliefs/culture to convert. Does this concession also extend to those raised in a culture of atheism or agnosticim? Hindus? Buddhists? Muslims? Etc?
  12. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:47
    So, in this case, this man would be judged upon his works alone and not upon his salvation or belief in Christ. Furthermore, you believe that concessions will be made during judgement for those who are steeped in their own beliefs/culture to convert. Does this concession also extend to those raised in a culture of atheism or agnosticim? Hindus? Buddhists? Muslims? Etc?
    for all but athieism
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:47
    If that is what you believe then what is the point of telling the man about Jesus in the first place?
    The rewards available for a believer are immense. I certainly don't want to hog all the blessings.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:53
    for all but athieism
    Interesting.

How do you reconcile your progressive brand of Christianity with Jesus' words that:

"Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." (John 3:3, 5-6)

What does it mean to you to be "born again" and what does it mean to you when Christ says one must be born of water and the spirit?
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 17:041 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The rewards available for a believer are immense. I certainly don't want to hog all the blessings.
    You opined that the man would be sent to heaven if he was blissfully ignorant yet would be sent to hell if he was even the slightest bit aware of Christ. How can sending a man to hell by witnessing to him and failing to convert him be a better choice than allowing him to remain blissfully ignorant and reap the rewards of eternal life? If you don't want to "hog all the blessings", shouldn't your choice be to remain silent?

The reward you would likely give to this man by witnessing to him would be plucking him from heaven and sentencing him to eternal damnation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree