1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:37
    @FMF

The label "agnostic atheist" describes my philosophical stance well.

I did not "decide" I was one; it was a long-drawn-out process at the end of which I realized that that was what I was.

When did the process of your changing from that position (Agnostic Atheist) philosophically to Deist begin ?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:37
    @sonship said
    What was the moment you went from knowing God to believing in a "god figure" ?
    It was a gradual process of realization and fading faith; there was no "moment".
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:39
    @FMF

Do the Christians I love - and live and work amongst - know about my beliefs? Yes.

Did you tell them they only have a "god figure" and their goodness is purely a subjective matter of opinion ?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:40
    @sonship said
    Are you less then 100% an Athiest ?
    I suppose a "100% atheist" would be an "explicit atheist". I am not an "explicit atheist".
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:401 edit
    @FMF

It was a gradual process of realization and fading faith; there was no "moment".

Are you now gradually becomming then a Deist rather than an Atheist ?
    You said you were considering that position for yourself.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:41
    @sonship said
    Did you tell them they only have a "god figure" and their goodness is purely a subjective matter of opinion ?
    When involved in discourse of the kind that is set up and facilitated by a forum like this? Yes.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:42
    @sonship said
    Did you contribute to the thread on Deism and engage me about it when I raised the topic?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:43
    @sonship said
    I don't think so and it would have no significant implications even if I did.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:461 edit
    @sonship said
    What I said and the nature of that suggested discussion topic is here Thread 180349
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:472 edits
    @FMF

I suppose a "100% atheist" would be an "explicit atheist". I am not an "explicit atheist".

You SUPPOSE something? I thought no one was as clear about everything on Spirituality as you are? You sit back and interrogate Christians a lot. I mean, like your position is the default position of realism. Everyone else speaking of faith needs to be examined for realism.

Do you suppose someone may know God, just not you?

If not how do you know no one knows God ?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:49
    @sonship said
    @FMF

You SUPPOSE something? I thought no one was as clear about everything on Spirituality as you are? You sit back and interrogate a lot me a lot.
    I have been answering all your questions. Are you upset?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:50
    @sonship said
    Do you suppose someone may know God, just not you?
    I understand that most people believe they "know" God and I understand their reasons for doing so.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:511 edit
    @FMF

I have been answering all your questions. Are you upset?

So if I am "upset" then you're off the hook huh?

What difference does it make to the questions if I am upset or not upset?

How do you know no one knows God - agnostic ?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:541 edit
    @FMF

I understand that most people believe they "know" God and I understand their reasons for doing so.

I distinctly remember that when I was an unbeliever I THOUGHT for certain I KNEW what was REALLY going on in people who said there is God.

I distinctly remember that attitude - "Poor guys. They don't know what is going on in them. But I know. I understand what is REALLY going on in them."

A bit of nostalgia just set in.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '19 23:561 edit
    @sonship said
    If not how do you know no one knows God ?
    I'll leave it to you to use the verb "know" when you talk about the results of your speculation and conjecture about supernatural matters. I don't use the word "know".

This is because I do not seek to add some heft or edge to my personal and highly subjective certainties regarding what I believe... by slapping adjectives [like "absolute" or "objective"] on what I say about my perception of the "truth" or talking about what I "know" when we are talking about things that are immune to the empirical scrutiny that enables me to say I "know" things that occur in the non-spiritual and non-supernatural domain.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree