1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 21:15
    "And a man will choose...any wickedness, but the wickedness of a woman...Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die" Ecclesiasticus, 25:18, 19 & 33. 1

"And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her." Ecclesiastes 7:26, from the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament)

Pretty harsh words for the fairer sex. How do our Spirituality Christians feel about women?

And yes, I'm looking at you daniel58.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 21:211 edit
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    "And a man will choose...any wickedness, but the wickedness of a woman...Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die" Ecclesiasticus, 25:18, 19 & 33. 1

"And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her." ...[text shortened]... do our Spirituality Christians feel about women?

Ecclesiasticus is considered apocryphal and therefore not inspired and not part of the Biblical cannon., and the verse form Ecclesiastes, is made with reference to prostitution. If you are truly interested in finding out what the scriptures have to say on the matter i suggest trying to approach with an impartial mind, you know, one without an agenda.
  3. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 21:21

"And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her." ...[text shortened]... do our Spirituality Christians feel about women?

Don't look at me I didn't write The Bible, you are taking it out of context merely looking at the passages of The Bible it explains what woman have or can do, not where it looks at them in a good light. Woman can be good or bad like men.
  4. Playing with matches
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 22:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Ecclesiasticus is considered apocryphal and therefore not inspired and not part of the Biblical cannon., and the verse form Ecclesiastes, is made with reference to prostitution. If you are truly interested in finding out what the scriptures have to say on the matter i suggest trying to approach with an impartial mind, you know, one without an agenda.
    Fair enough. Still, I'm honestly curious as to why any sex at all is applied to God. Why would this even be necessary? I'm also curious as to why daniel KNOWS that God is male and how this has shaped his oppinion of women.

I think he's answered part of this fairly, that there's good and bad in men and women. I'd take this as he sees men and women as equals. Still, the bible, particularly the OT has a rather dim view of women and I'd like to know how Christians reconcile this today.
  5. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 22:59
    Fair enough. Still, I'm honestly curious as to why any sex at all is applied to God. Why would this even be necessary? I'm also curious as to why daniel KNOWS that God is male and how this has shaped his oppinion of women.

I think he's answered part of this fairly, that there's good and bad in men and women. I'd take this as he sees men and wom ...[text shortened]... T has a rather dim view of women and I'd like to know how Christians reconcile this today.
    Jesus is male.
  6. Playing with matches
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 23:01
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Jesus is male.
    Yes. OK.

Why would God be? Why would God need to have any sex at all?
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 23:25
    Yes. OK.

Why would God be? Why would God need to have any sex at all?
    Jesus Is God.
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 23:26
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Jesus Is God.
    Ok, Jesus is the Earthly personification of God, sure, whatever you say.

Why would a heavenly being, God, need to have a gender?
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 23:46
    Ok, Jesus is the Earthly personification of God, sure, whatever you say.

Why would a heavenly being, God, need to have a gender?
    He doesn't really NEED a gender but He choose to have one, well sort of, why do we need a gender? God could have made us a bunch of robots that grew off trees but He didn't, look at us this way, God Is male and we are just lesser so to speak males.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 00:003 edits

For the NT, look at what Paul had to say. For example:

1 Corinthians 14
    34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

1 Timothy 2
    9 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, 10 but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. 11 A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. 12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.

Women, like homosexuals, do not fare well in the teachings of Paul. However, I believe neither are discriminated against in the teachings of Jesus.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 20:262 edits
    The responsibility for the fall of man is associated more with Adam, the male, than with Eve his wife. We read that because of one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, not because of one woman. (See Romans 5).

To whom did Jesus make Himself known first at His resurrection, the male disciples or the women ?

This momentous event was first disclosed to the women. That was a tremendous priviledge and honor. And especially more so since at that time the word of a woman would not be admissible in a law court.

Mary Magdelene was the first disciple to recognize the ressurected Christ.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 20:32
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

1 Corinthians 14
    34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

1 Tim ...[text shortened]... achings of Paul. However, I believe neither are discriminated against in the teachings of Jesus.
    Paul recognized a certain woman Junia as being note among the apostles.

His word that they saints could all prophesy one by one in First Corinthians 14 does not at all seemed to be restricted to males. Luke tells of the female duaghters who were prophets in the book of Acts.

Sons of God is mentioned but also sons and daughters of God are mentioned in the New Testament as it quotes the Hebrew Bible.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 20:44

I think he's answered part of this fairly, that there's good and bad in men and women. I'd take this as he sees men and wom ...[text shortened]... T has a rather dim view of women and I'd like to know how Christians reconcile this today.
    its an analogy, that's all, he is like a father figure, protective of the family, a provider, a giver of life, also administering discipline when necessary, an educator etc etc etc
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 23:59
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Paul recognized a certain woman [b]Junia as being note among the apostles.

His word that they saints could all prophesy one by one in First Corinthians 14 does not at all seemed to be restricted to males. Luke tells of the female duaghters who were prophets in the book of Acts.

Sons of God is mentioned but also sons and daughters of God are mentioned in the New Testament as it quotes the Hebrew Bible.[/b]
    What's your point?
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '09 22:20
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What's your point?
    You wrote this:

==============================
    Women, like homosexuals, do not fare well in the teachings of Paul. However, I believe neither are discriminated against in the teachings of Jesus.
    ================================

My point was to add some balance to these generalizations.
    My point was to present a more inclusive picture of the matter in both the NT as a whole and in Paul's writings specifically.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree