1. England
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 09:23
    priests / bishops [taking the anti christians out] my thoughts are against due mainly to pauls teachings in timothy. any christians out here with views.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 09:39
    Originally posted by stoker
    priests / bishops [taking the anti christians out] my thoughts are against due mainly to pauls teachings in timothy. any christians out here with views.
    What about deacons?
  3. England
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 10:531 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    What about deacons?
    not shure the roll of deacons. i have no problem with women in the church doing many valueable tasks.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 13:40
    not shure the roll of deacons. i have no problem with women in the church doing many valueable tasks.
    Deacons in the Anglican, Orthodox and Catholic churches receive the sacrament of Holy Orders - the same that priests and bishops receive.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 14:25
    there is absolutely no logical rule to prevent women from being priests. ignoring paul(as most christians should in my opinion) i doubt jesus said anywhere that only men are fit to teach and spiritually govern the people. where does it say that priests shouldn't marry like the catholics preach? if we don't stone an unfaithful wife anymore and we don't expect a 20year old widow to remain unmarried and in mourning all of her life then we can change further.

the catholic church is a little slow and views all change as heresy and an opportunity for god to smite them. they will learn. it already admitted that the earth is not flat and we go around the sun. maybe it will recognize dinosaurs in the future and allow women to preach the word
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 14:32
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    where does it say that priests shouldn't marry like the catholics preach?
    Catholics do not preach this, and there are a number of Eastern rites in the Catholic Church which have married priests.
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 14:37
    Do you believe that the canon is closed?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 14:38
    Catholics do not preach this, and there are a number of Eastern rites in the Catholic Church which have married priests.
    yes, they do. what do you mean they don't? what would the reason be priests in most rites do not marry? not smooth enough with the ladies?

if by eastern rites you mean the greco-romans they are more orthodox than catholic. they just recognize the pope as leader(political mean for the pope to gain influence over them)
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 14:412 edits
    yes, they do. what do you mean they don't? what would the reason be priests in most rites do not marry? not smooth enough with the ladies?

if by eastern rites you mean the greco-romans they are more orthodox than catholic. they just recognize the pope as leader(political mean for the pope to gain influence over them)
    Priests in the Latin rite of the Catholic Church cannot marry; priests of the Eastern rites (such as, the Maronites, Melkites, Ukranians, Chadeans, etc) can. There is one exception to this rule. Lutheran and Anglican ministers who convert to Catholicism in the Latin rite may be able to seek ordination, even if married.

There are also married deacons in the Latin rite. Even though they are not priests, they are technically not lay people but clergy.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 14:441 edit
    Priests in the Latin rite of the Catholic Church cannot marry; priests of the Eastern rites (such as, the Maronites, Melkites, Ukranians, Chadeans, etc) can. There is one exception to this rule. Lutheran and Anglican ministers who convert to Catholicism in the Latin rite may be able to seek ordination, even if married.
    what is the bigger branch of catholicism? if the bigger branch of the catholics says priest shouldn't marry then catholicism says priest cannot marry. and for that part those that say priests can marry aren't exactly 100% pure catholics.

and we are digressing
  11. England
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 14:47
    there is absolutely no logical rule to prevent women from being priests. ignoring paul(as most christians should in my opinion) i doubt jesus said anywhere that only men are fit to teach and spiritually govern the people. where does it say that priests shouldn't marry like the catholics preach? if we don't stone an unfaithful wife anymore and we don't expec ...[text shortened]... d the sun. maybe it will recognize dinosaurs in the future and allow women to preach the word
    church law is the prac . ie baptism is mentioned in the bible but confermation to recive the sacrament is not, this is church law. the marrage is mentioned but it says better to stay focused on preaching by of staying single as the cares of life might interfear with your teachings. This is why they promote single orders.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 14:49
    what is the bigger branch of catholicism? if the bigger branch of the catholics says priest shouldn't marry then catholicism says priest cannot marry. and for that part those that say priests can marry aren't exactly 100% pure catholics.

and we are digressing
    if the bigger branch of the catholics says priest shouldn't marry then catholicism says priest cannot marry

Not quite. The Latin rite is the largest branch of the Catholic Church and priestly celibacy is regarded as the norm for priests. It does not mean, however, that Catholicism makes the broad claim that priests cannot marry.

and for that part those that say priests can marry aren't exactly 100% pure catholics.

Of course they are 100% Catholics. In Catholic theology, they have all the character of ordination and the same powers as any celibate priest.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 14:58
    church law is the prac . ie baptism is mentioned in the bible but confermation to recive the sacrament is not, this is church law. the marrage is mentioned but it says better to stay focused on preaching by of staying single as the cares of life might interfear with your teachings. This is why they promote single orders.
    the orthodox on the contrary cannot be priest if they are not married. the priest should be an example to the parish, a model husband and father, a model person.

cares of life might interfere with your teachings? so a priest is unable to do both? a priest would be a better teacher not worse if he experiences life as the people he teaches. how can he counsel married couples if he never was married. sure he is supposed to talk to god. but god doesn't talk back so what about the lonely days when he could have played with his children? he will die alone because mostly nobody thinks of the priest as his family.

for absolute devotion to god there are monks and nuns. having a priest single is redundant and with no merit.

read the first post of this thread and see what it is about. we have moved far enough from the subject. let's get back
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 15:04
    the orthodox on the contrary cannot be priest if they are not married.
    The Orthodox do have monastic priests, who are all celibate. And all Orthodox bishops are celibate.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 15:18
    The Orthodox do have monastic priests, who are all celibate. And all Orthodox bishops are celibate.
    monastic priest are first monks and then priests. orthodox bishops are chosen from monks.

found out what the topic of this thread is or should i just shut up to end this off topic discussion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree