women

women

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 08

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
monastic priest are first monks and then priests. orthodox bishops are chosen from monks.

found out what the topic of this thread is or should i just shut up to end this off topic discussion?
monastic priest are first monks and then priests. orthodox bishops are chosen from monks.

Yes, but you said, "the orthodox on the contrary cannot be priest if they are not married." Do you mean to say that non-monastic men cannot become priests if they are not married? Is that even true?

found out what the topic of this thread is or should i just shut up to end this off topic discussion?

Well...you are claiming that the Catholic Church's prohibition against married priests has some relevance to its dogmatic declaration against the ordination of women. So questioning your knowledge on married priests is on topic.

Z

Moves
08 Jul 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
[b]monastic priest are first monks and then priests. orthodox bishops are chosen from monks.

Yes, but you said, "the orthodox on the contrary cannot be priest if they are not married." Do you mean to say that non-monastic men cannot become priests if they are not married? Is that even true?

found out what the topic of this thread is or should ...[text shortened]... gainst the ordination of women. So questioning your knowledge on married priests is on topic.
i also claim that as the church admitted kind of late that the earth is revolving around the sun it will also allow women to be priests. should we discuss giordano bruno as well?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Jul 08

should we discuss giordano bruno as well?
Burned alive by Catholic order for telling the truth.

Z

Moves
08 Jul 08

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priesthood_%28Catholic_Church%29

"In the West the law of celibacy was required by the 11th century. This law required that a man must not be married to become a candidate for ordination. This law remains in effect in the West until the present. While it has often been said that mandatory priestly celibacy was merely a reaction to priests passing on their pastoral responsibilities to their sons, it is actually rooted in the discipline of clerical continence, a discipline difficult for men already married to maintain."

happy now? the catholics have the rule. there are exceptions to every rule but it is still a rule. even if they wouldn't apply it would still be a rule. a pointless one but still a rule. now that we have settled this matter, can we go back to the topic at hand?

Z

Moves
08 Jul 08

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
yes, but still it is the cousin of the cousin of this thread. that is why i asked if we could go back to the topic.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 08

i also claim that as the church admitted kind of late that the earth is revolving around the sun it will also allow women to be priests. should we discuss giordano bruno as well?
Well, there goes another simplistic historical reductionism.

You also claimed a lot of other silly nonsense.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 08

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priesthood_%28Catholic_Church%29

"In the West the law of celibacy was required by the 11th century. This law required that a man must not be married to become a candidate for ordination. This law remains in effect in the West until the present. While it has often been said that mandatory priestly celibacy was merely a reactio ...[text shortened]... but still a rule. now that we have settled this matter, can we go back to the topic at hand?
the catholics have the rule. there are exceptions to every rule but it is still a rule.

It is a rule applied only to the Latin rite, and with some exceptions. It is not a 'catholic' rule; a more accurate characterisation would be 'a discipline confined to the Latin rite.'

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 08

Did the Catholic Church order his execution?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Jul 08

Did the Catholic Church order his execution?
Yes, although I have no doubt that you can concoct some Simon Says scheme that frees the Church from responsibility, just like you do for all of its other acts of horror.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 08

Yes, although I have no doubt that you can concoct some Simon Says scheme that frees the Church from responsibility, just like you do for all of its other acts of horror.
I am not familiar with the inquisition 'justice' system. I know that the Church convicted Bruno of heresy; I merely want to ascertain whether these same Catholic authorites also decided the punitive consequences of heresy.

Did the Church carry out the execution?

Z

Moves
08 Jul 08

[b]the catholics have the rule. there are exceptions to every rule but it is still a rule.

It is a rule applied only to the Latin rite, and with some exceptions. It is not a 'catholic' rule; a more accurate characterisation would be 'a discipline confined to the Latin rite.'[/b]
yes, the catholicism that "matters". are the anglicans catholic?

sects are sects. if they don't adhere to the vatican, they are not catholic

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Jul 08

Did the Church carry out the execution?
I'm pretty sure the fire did. After all, whoever set the fire didn't actually kill him -- that person's hands are clean, right?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 08

There are millions of Eastern Catholics. I suppose they do matter.

Anglicans are not Catholic.

The Eastern rites do adhere to the Vatican.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 08

I'm pretty sure the fire did. After all, whoever set the fire didn't actually kill him -- that person's hands are clean, right?
Was the fire begun by Catholic authorities?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Jul 08
2 edits

Was the fire begun by Catholic authorities?
I don't see what difference that makes. It was the fire, not them, that killed him.

Or are you suggesting that whoever set the fire is responsible, even though that person used an intermediary to carry out the killing?