1. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 08:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead

So doesn't that make it even more clear that it is the religion and faith that is to blame and not, as you earlier implied, the people? Surely you would agree with me that the world would be a better place if those people were not suffering from a delusion?
    No, the point being that it's not the religion/faith belief in a flying spagetti monster etc. which causes the problem, its people unquestioningly believing what these churches and their parents tell them to.
    Referring back to the earlier Jesuit I was talking about the Christian faith being a priest has had no bearing on his ability to think and question his own ideals and beliefs. If anything he has done so more than most due to having taken such a strong viewpoint.
    However to be crude a F***wit is a F***wit no matter what they believe, therefore I still maintain its the people not the beliefs that cause the problem. Except in when you get F###wits telling others what to do and believe as in the case of Certain (trying not to offend here) religions.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 09:54
    Originally posted by Mexico
    No, the point being that it's not the religion/faith belief in a flying spagetti monster etc. which causes the problem, its people unquestioningly believing what these churches and their parents tell them to.
    And that is encouraged very strongly in almost all religions / denominations.

Referring back to the earlier Jesuit I was talking about the Christian faith being a priest has had no bearing on his ability to think and question his own ideals and beliefs. If anything he has done so more than most due to having taken such a strong viewpoint.
    I simply do not believe that. I am sure that he has certain beliefs he will not question.

However to be crude a F***wit is a F***wit no matter what they believe, therefore I still maintain its the people not the beliefs that cause the problem. Except in when you get F###wits telling others what to do and believe as in the case of Certain (trying not to offend here) religions.
    If you truly believe then it is your duty to try to tell others - in some cases by force (depending on what those beliefs may be). For example if you are 100% certain that all children will go to hell for eternity unless you forcibly baptize them then are you wrong to go ahead and do so?

I still maintain that beliefs are a major cause of division and conflict. It is more common than not for people to associate and especially marry within their own denomination /religion. This can, and frequently does, lead to division and conflict. As such I believe that your stance of 'live and let live' is in fact wrong. Religion should be discouraged and it is immoral not to do so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree